• Kaveski
    You don't love a person because you love his body; you only start to love his body after you start to love his person.
  • Seditious
    Seems a rather trivial distinction to make.
  • 3017amen

Pardon the pun but I love your premise.

Though I think you can have both. You can love an object and appreciate the object for what it is, without an intellectual connection. The purchase of objects like houses, cars, clothing, paint colors, anything relative to aesthetics comes to mind.

Of course the dynamics of, in this case, romantic love may wane if the relationship is not balanced. If one where to use a mind-body-spirit criteria as a decision making model or method in choosing a mate, only loving just the person's body would not be fulfilling (in the long run).
  • Apollodorus
    You don't love a person because you love his body; you only start to love his body after you start to love his person.Kaveski

But how do you know it is "love" and not just attraction, infatuation or something else?
  • Hanover
    You don't love a person because you love his body; you only start to love his body after you start to love his person.Kaveski
    The love I might have for someone can be dependent upon the love I have for her body. Romantic love and physical attraction are related.
  • Tobias
    Is it not just as valid or invalid to say: "You don't love a person because you love his mind; you only start to love his mind after you start to love his person". Why is love for the body somehow seen as trivial and the mind somehow seen as exalted?
    (I am longing for a woman to say, I love you for your body, to hell with your mind, but that aside ;) )
  • Apollodorus
    I am longing for a woman to say, I love you for your body, to hell with your mindTobias

Sounds like a reasonable longing to me. But would she say "to hell with your mind and your money", or just "to hell with your mind"?
  • Jack Cummins

This is an interesting new slant on the mind and body problem. Do we love a person for their mind or their body, and how do we separate the two? What I think is interesting here is how this connects to internet discussion, because we are able to connect on a mental level, but are unlikely to ever meet bodily. Most people here are anonymous and only a few have their photos on site.

I am not wishing to make light of your topic, but I do wonder how the role of body and mind lie in this spectrum. Is sexuality an aspect of body or mind? Where does eros and agape lie? Are they separate or interconnected? On what level do we meet as minds, or as bodies, with all kinds of sexual meanings, or other meanings of the idea of love?
  • Tobias
    Sounds like a reasonable longing to me. But would she say "to hell with your mind and your money", or just "to hell with your mind"?Apollodorus

I do not get it, mind does not equate money. I do not think any girl fancied me because of my lack of money...
  • TheMadFool

So, what's new?
  • Apollodorus
    I do not think any girl fancied me because of my lack of money...Tobias

If that is the case, it must have been because of your mind. Or as the OP says, your person ....
  • 180 Proof
    We sapiosexuals desire an intellect's body and will love you for nothing less.
  • Possibility

I agree that you don’t love a person because you love their body - but I do think you can start to love a person after you start to love their body. Physical attraction is not the only path to love, but it is one way to start. Love is quite different to desire, however.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.