• Jamal
    Many people on this forum quote long-dead philosophers as if they were prophets - as if what these long-dead philosophers wrote or said is above criticism (set in stone)Harry Hindu

But do they really? Don't they usually quote canonical texts because they're especially insightful, original, and thought-provoking? For me, words that invite criticism may still be worth quoting, precisely because they are so provocative.
  • Cuthbert
    Austin wrote, “In philosophy, there are many mistakes that it is no disgrace to make: to make a first-water, ground-floor mistake, so far from being easy, takes one form of philosophical genius." Proceedings of the British Academy, March 1956.
  • Harry Hindu
    But do they really? Don't they usually quote canonical texts because they're especially insightful, original, and thought-provoking? For me, words that invite criticism may still be worth quoting, precisely because they are so provocative.jamalrob
    It's when it goes past the simple quoting of a long-dead philosopher - when they attempt to defend what they said without integrating it with the knowledge we have now - as if the long-dead philosopher would still say the same thing today with the knowledge we have today.
  • 0 thru 9
    The Philosophmore proclaims:

I have reached the optimal point of all knowledge!
    All that know less than me are dullards.
    All that think they know more than me went to some fancy college that that Daddy paid for, and are brainiacs who need to get a life.

I have reached the perfect age!
    All younger than me are smartass whipper snappers who need to turn off their iPhone for 10 minutes.
    All those older than me are just out of it.

I am at the perfect financial level!
    Anyone poorer than me is a slob, Anyone richer is a snob!

I am at the perfect center of the universe, the absolute balance point. For now, anyway.

...thus spoke the Philosophmore.
    :D
  • La Cuentista
    Being bothered by those types of questions or reactions you get from people could indicate a lack of self-confidence. Possibly addressing those areas in your life you don't feel fully confident in would eliminate those feelings you get when faced with the questions you're asking how to respond to.
  • Brian
    I've been talking about pursuing a degree in Philosophy. I don't think I've ever heard a positive response. Some people (acquaintances, relatives, friends) just blurt out something like, "that's stupid", or "Philosophy is stupid", or "a degree in Philosophy is useless."

How would you respond?
    anonymous66

"Philosophy is stupid but not as stupid as The Real Housewives of Orange County and look how much money those people make!"
1234Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.