• Pierre-Normand
    And so on. So, should we regard Wittgenstein as antagonistic to these kinds of ideas? Is this part of what he had mind?Wayfarer

I don't think he would necessarily be. This book by Jacques Bouveresse looks interesting but I haven't looked into it yet (except for the blurb).

If you don't mind me taking the lazy path, your question reminded my of some insightful comments Anders Weinstein had made in the comp.ai.philosophy Usenet newsgroup 25 years ago. I managed to find them again:

Regarding Freud and the unconscious
    Reveal

Anders N Weinstein

13 Oct 1998, 03:00:00
    to
    In article <>,

Josh Soffer <> wrote:
    >Anders, you sound like a phenomenologist . Have you by any chance been
    >influenced by Heidegger or Husserl? I'm new to this group so you'll have

I would be content to label myself a phenomenologist, and know
    something about Heidegger, less about Husserl. The marvelous idiom that
    worldly objects "show up for us" comes from the Heidegger translation
    of Dreyfus or Haugeland.

> Of course such a phenomenological view would
    >render a notion of 'unconscious' not as a content of thought in conflict
    >with another but as a pre-consciousness, a vaguely glimpsed and fragile
    >new meaning. It is not hidden from conscious awareness, but a full
    >awareness of a state of foggy construing.

I can't say I understand this. I would say it is clear that the
    cogntivist's concept of unconscious sub-personal states and operations
    should be sharply distinguished from other concepts of the unconscious
    or pre-conscious, e.g. Freud's. The latter purports to be a
    person-level phenomenon. For example, if I say that you are
    unconsciously resentful of someone, I do not mean that there is a
    representation of anger in some sub-personal computational module
    inside your body; I am rather talking about a pattern or tendency in
    your molar conduct that is not transparent to you.

A happy middle road between operationalism (behaviorism) and Cartesianism
    Reveal

13 Sept 2000, 03:00:00
    to
    In article <9GFu5.4592$>,

David Prince <> wrote:
    >
    >The rejection of mental models stems from centuries of incorrect and harmful
    >mental models. Primitive models such as astrology, humors, ethers, and evil
    >spirits, as well as more complex models such as Psychoanalysis, Logotherapy,
    >Drive-reduction theory, and Nomological Network Constructs obscure solutions
    >to simple problems that easily succumb to the methodology employed by the
    >physical sciences. Behaviorism is a physical science. What is amazing is

No. First, operationalism is a well-known failure as an account of the
    methodology of physical science, mainly because the greatest successes
    in physical science were achieved by positing undeterdetermined theories
    (models).

A standard Chomskyan challenge for Skinner, for example, is why he is
    insisting that psychological science ought not to avail itself of the
    same sort of methods as physical science. If physical science systematizes
    phenomena by positing unobservable entities only loosely tied to observable
    manifestations, why shouldn't cognitive scientists emulate this practice?

But there is a more simple reason that behaviorism is not a physical
    science. It is that the concept of "behavior" at issue is not a
    physicalistically acceptable notion. The moon in its orbit is not
    behaving in this sense, and is not subject to behavioristic laws.
    Roughly only living things are said to behave in this sense.

Of course that is not a criticism of behaviorism. It is only a criticism
    of the false claim that behaviorism is a physical science. No, it would
    be a distinct science with it's own level of description. It's fundamental
    concepts are not reducible to those of physical science, I believe.

Moreover, the question of what descriptive vocabulary to use when
    describing "behavior" is left open. On the one hand, I believe Skinner
    and his followers are not very precise on what is allowed within their
    "data language" as "observable behavior". On the other hand, from a
    wider point of view, what they do allow depends on adopting some
    artificial restrictions to impoverish the descriptive vocabulary.

Without such restrictions there is nothing to prevent us from
    characterizing "observable behavior" in mind-laden descriptive terms,
    and the dogma -- common to behaviorists and anti-behaviorists alike --
    that mental states of others are unobservable or only known by
    inference collapses. If I can use things like "John insulted Mary" or
    "Mary snubbed him dead" or John expressed his intention to go to
    Vienna" as descriptions of "observable behavior" -- and why should they
    not be? -- then "observable behavior" seen as manifestations of subjectivity
    may be displayed internally related to psychological states of others.

Anyway, the key point is that I think it is a mistake to assume that
    behaviorism is "the physics of people", or that the privileging of the
    behaviorists preferred descriptive vocabulary can be justified on
    general methodological principles. It is a hope for a science at a certain
    level; and certainly it could turn out that the behaviorist's language
    is no more useful in application to human behavior than the language of
    spirits and humours and demons.

>I wish to finish with the Buddhist word Anatta. It means "No soul either
    >within or without." May it save you from your suffering.

I would cite "The human body is the best picture of the human soul"
    (Wittgenstein). However, making sense of this requires that you be able
    to see the doings of the body *as* expresive of subjectivity, as
    manifestations of a "soul" if you like (a person with a psychology).
    For example, you have to be able to read emotions in a face, a posture,
    a gesture. This sort of "soul" is perfectly observable if you know how
    to look.

The idea of mind as expressed in observable behavior is a happy middle
    road between behaviorism and Cartesianism. Both of the latter rest on
    the false presupposition that mentality of others is unobservable, that
    "observable behavior" must denote behavior under a reduced description in
    which it is not expressive of mentality.
  • Metaphysician Undercover
    (Note that Plaque Flag is taking one of his regular breaks from Forum participation.)Wayfarer

We ought to take that time to get this thread back on track.

The hiddenness of nothing is what allows movement and interaction. Thus the more one fills the emptiness of awareness with the images of self, the less emptiness remains for the world to unfold itself in.

We join spokes together in a wheel,
    but it is the center hole
    that makes the wagon move.

We shape clay into a pot,
    but it is the emptiness inside
    that holds whatever we want.

We hammer wood for a house,
    but it is the inner space
    that makes it livable.

We work with being,
    but non-being is what we use.
    — Lao Tzu
    unenlightened

I like this proposal, there is something which is hidden, and that is what we call "nothing". This place where nothing is real, and possibilities for movement and interaction emerge from, is the future. Possibilities are "what we use", and they are derived from the nothingness which has reality as the future.

So "possibility", sometimes called "potential", is how we view the medium between the emptiness of the future, and the fulfillment of the past. Respect for this medium provides us with the capacity for "use". But if, in the imaginary world within our minds, we allow the nothingness of the future to become filled by self-confidence, or if we allow that nothingness to seep into the fulfillment of the past, as is the case with regret, then confusion reigns in this imaginary world.
  • schopenhauer1
    I am unsure what viewpoint you are describing here.Pierre-Normand

Thats exactly my point to you. You present these ideas of Wittgenstein and Sellars without context of what ideas and who they are arguing against. So who and what ideas are they against here? People like Freud or others who believe in some non-linguistic thought (like an unconscious)?
  • Fooloso4
    One way to approach Wittgenstein's philosophical therapy is to ask what one hopes to bring to light from its hiddenness. More generally, what lies behind the assumption that something is hidden?

Wittgenstein is critical of two attempts to get at something hidden. The first is analysis. That if we break things down to what is most simple and fundamental we will discover an underlying reality. See these quotes cited earlier.

The second is to construct what lies hidden beneath what is obvious. Such conceptual constructs do the opposite of what they intend. They direct us to look elsewhere - arche, ground, Mind, God, Being, the hyperuranion, language ...
  • schopenhauer1
    Wittgenstein is critical of two attempts to get at something hidden. The first is analysis. That if we break things down to what is most simple and fundamental we will discover an underlying reality. See these quotes cited earlier.Fooloso4

Ah, as expected, he's just railing against his own previous work and basically Russell. As usual in these Wittgenstein vignettes, on closer inspection, just an insular debate between either his own ideas or at most, a few (close) adherents or collaborators (of his).

The second is to construct what lies hidden beneath what is obvious. Such conceptual constructs do the opposite of what they intend. They direct us to look elsewhere - arche, ground, Mind, God, Being, the hyperuranion, language ...Fooloso4

His obvious is not obvious though. Can you explain this? If it is how I interpret your interpretation of him, then it is basically, "don't debate about things we cannot empirically investigate". Well, the point of discussing the things like hard problem of consciousness, or metaphysics is to at least understand the question of what the problem is. Just cutting it off as "VERBODEN!" from the start is ridiculous "preference-for-the-ordinary-writ-large".
  • Fooloso4
    Ah, as expected, he's just railing against his own previous work and basically Russell.schopenhauer1

Not just his own and Russell's work, but the more common assumption that is found in much of philosophy and religion.

His obvious is not obvious though.schopenhauer1

As I understand it, what is at issue is the distinction between description and explanation:

Here we come up against a remarkable and characteristic phenomenon in philosophical investigation: the difficulty–I might say–is not that of finding the solution but rather that of recognizing as the solution something that looks as if it were only a preliminary to it. “We have already said everything.–Not anything that follows from this, no, this itself is the solution!”

This is connected, I believe, with our wrongly expecting an explanation, whereas the solution of the difficulty is a description, if we give it the right place in our considerations. If we dwell upon it, and do not try to get beyond it.

The difficulty here is: to stop.
    (Zettel 314)

To look for an explanation is to look away from what an apt description calls our attention to. Consider, for example, 'forms of life'.

God grant the philosopher insight into what lies in front of everyone’s eyes.
    (CV 63)
  • schopenhauer1
    Not just his own and Russell's work, but the more common assumption that is found in much of philosophy and religion.Fooloso4

Just too damn broad. It's like Wittgenstein doesn't do the heavy-lifting of identifying his targets so everyone has to do it for him. Lame sauce. I too can be obtuse and have adherents say what I was "really" saying. Same as Nietzsche, etc. I prefer philosophers who were clear and very much explaining themselves. Schopenhauer is a great example of someone who at least explains his ideas and doesn't have his adherents try to grasp at his "greatness". He had aphorisms but they weren't obfuscatory in its supposed "simplicity" or simply self-referential to one's own work, for example. Wittgenstein didn't follow that when he tried to also foray into aphoristic writing. It's just Wittgenstein fan-club interpretation rather than Wittgenstein philosophy, every time I have to deal with his ideas.

Here we come up against a remarkable and characteristic phenomenon in philosophical investigation: the difficulty–I might say–is not that of finding the solution but rather that of recognizing as the solution something that looks as if it were only a preliminary to it. “We have already said everything.–Not anything that follows from this, no, this itself is the solution!”

This is connected, I believe, with our wrongly expecting an explanation, whereas the solution of the difficulty is a description, if we give it the right place in our considerations. If we dwell upon it, and do not try to get beyond it.

The difficulty here is: to stop.
    (Zettel 314)

To look for an explanation is to look away from what an apt description calls our attention to. Consider, for example, 'forms of life'.

God grant the philosopher insight into what lies in front of everyone’s eyes.
    Fooloso4

This isn't saying much either.

Let's take the problem of mind. Imagination- you turn a three dimensional cube in your mind's eye. "WHAT" is that which is being turned around? What is this "mind's eye" even? And here you get many many words about hard problem or neuroscience, etc. But you see, it is explanatory to the degree necessary to provide an answer to that problem. What else can you do otherwise? I cannot present "mind" to you on a platter. Rather it is indeed dialectic. And that is indeed all we can expect from "philosophy". It never was anything but this.

Certainly, there are philosophers who obfuscate with neologisms that are not easy-to-understand, but that is simply about lack of writing skills. That however, doesn't seem like anything more insightful than be clear in your writing.

I will say, Wittgenstein's greatest contribution seems to be the idea of "word games". As long as philosophers can make it easy for other philosophers to play along with their dialectic and word-games, then they are at least acting out of good faith and are on the way of (potentially) doing "good" philosophy. So that I can get on board with. However, anything like, "Don't discuss what isn't readily apparent" is just revealing about philosopher's preferences and nothing more profound about the world. It is just the anti-version of what the jargony philosophers are doing. Both are wrong in their approach then.
  • Fooloso4
    I prefer philosophers ...schopenhauer1

Yes, we all have our preferences.
  • schopenhauer1
    Yes, we all have our preferences.Fooloso4

Including Wittgenstein. All preference no philosophy, he is. “I don’t like discussing metaphysics. Now here’s some obscure aphoristic text you need to try to interpret.” Oh the irony. Maybe he’s just trolling.
  • Pierre-Normand
    Thats exactly my point to you. You present these ideas of Wittgenstein and Sellars without context of what ideas and who they are arguing against. So who and what ideas are they against here? People like Freud or others who believe in some non-linguistic thought (like an unconscious)?schopenhauer1

I didn't really present them. The OP presented Wittgenstein's slogan while highlighting Robert Brandom's take on it. I related them to the takes from Sellars and McDowell, since both of them also taught at Pittsburgh University and are part of, broadly, the same philosophical tradition. The excepts from my discussion with GPT-4, and the quotes from Anders Weinstein, also were meant to clarify what Wittgenstein (and Ryle after him, in The Concept of Mind) were arguing against: scientism, operationalism, reductive behaviorism, and some strands of cognitivism that commit what Daniel Dennett (in Consciousness Explained) and P. M. S. Hacker (in The Philosophical Foundations of Neuroscience) might call the homuncular or mereological fallacy: to ascribe to the hidden soul, or to brain processes, capabilities that are capabilities of whole human beings.
  • schopenhauer1
    The Concept of Mind) were arguing against: scientism, operationalism, reductive behaviorism, and some strands of cognitivismPierre-Normand

I’m very familiar with the homuncular fallacy. Why is this linked with Wittgenstein?

Are there really modern sophisticated theories that don't take into account how language used in context of environment shapes how it's used? I call horse shit on a stinking straw man.

And since when did Wittgenstein deal with matters outside of language? He was a cognitive scientist or philosopher of mind now? Talk about streeeetccching. Wittgenstein is stretched to fit everyone's needs. In the name of WITT GEN STEIN!
  • Pierre-Normand
    I’m very familiar with the homuncular fallacy. Why is this linked with Wittgenstein?schopenhauer1

"Only of a living human being and what resembles (behaves like) a living human being can one say: it has sensations; it sees; is blind; hears, is deaf; is conscious or unconscious." (PI 281)

Dennett himself, who was Ryle's student, credits Ryle and Wittgenstein. Ryle, of course, wrote The Concept of Mind after having been a regular attendee at Wittgenstein's lectures at Cambridge. Maxwell Bennett and P.M.S. Hacker mainly credit Wittgenstein in The Philosophical Foundations of Neuroscience. This holistic view of the mental powers of the embodied and encultured human being is a common theme throughout the Philosophical Investigations and the Blue and Brown books.
  • schopenhauer1
    The limits of my language are not the limits of my conceptual inflation.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should speak at great length and in convoluted prose.

A proposition is meaningless if it cannot be inflated beyond recognition.

Language games are not just for fun, but for overblown speculation.

The solution to any philosophical problem is to inflate it beyond all recognition.

To clarify a concept is to inflate it with enough hot air to reach escape velocity.

Language is like a virus, infecting us with meaningless concepts that we inflate to great heights.

The meaning of a word is not its use, but its potential for inflation.

The value of a philosophical idea is not in its coherence, but in its ability to be inflated beyond all coherence.

The truth is not that which can be stated plainly, but that which can be inflated beyond all recognition.
  • Pierre-Normand
    Now let me obfuscate that into a series of aphoristic texts that can be taken any which way.schopenhauer1

In my experience, fairly smart and rigorous people like Ryle, Kenny, Hacker, Baker, Cavell, Conant, Diamond, Rorty and McDowell, who have endeavored to tease out the gist from Wittgenstein's PI, have arrived at a fairly unified and coherent picture (with some interpretative differences, to be sure) that doesn't appear to do any violence to the text and that highlight the originality and fecundity of the ideas for addressing old philosophical conundrums. It doesn't seem to me like most of Wittgenstein's remarks can be taken any which way. Rather, just like the works of other thinkers of have thought very deeply about philosophical topics, like Aristotle, Hume, Kant or Merleau-Ponty, their thoughts can fruitfully be brought to bear on a very wide range of issues. Your mileage may vary.

(I also had a little talk with GPT-4 about it )
  • Pierre-Normand
    Why this?schopenhauer1

Why not? I'm in the habit of teasing out bits that will only interest a few people, and/or external URL links.

On edit: Sorry, misunderstood you. Why trying to tease out Wittgenstein's meaning? Why to people write exegetical books about Aristotle, Kant and Schopenhauer? Many of my scientifically minded friends think its because they (and their readers) like to pretend that they the nonsensical drivels of pre-scientific thinkers. I rather think its because their ideas are fecund albeit difficult to understand without suppling context.
  • schopenhauer1
    The deepest truths often lie at the surface, while the shallowest lies can sink to the depths.
    Reveal
    ChatGPT wrote the above.

Here's another: ""One cannot truly see the world until one realizes that the world is what one sees.""

Reveal
    This statement by an unknown author is deceptively simple yet profoundly insightful. The first part of the statement, "one cannot truly see the world," implies that there is a deeper truth or reality to the world beyond our initial perceptions. The second part of the statement, "until one realizes that the world is what one sees," suggests that we are the ones responsible for constructing our own reality through our perception of the world.

The phrase "the world is what one sees" is particularly thought-provoking as it implies that our experiences are subjective and shaped by our own individual perspectives. This highlights the importance of self-awareness and introspection in order to gain a deeper understanding of the world around us.

Overall, this statement reminds us that our perception of the world is not objective but rather a reflection of our own biases and experiences. By recognizing this, we can strive to be more open-minded and understanding towards others who may have different perspectives and experiences than our own.

However, it's worth noting that the statement may be seen as somewhat circular and ultimately unhelpful in terms of offering practical insights or solutions to complex problems. It's important to keep in mind that simply acknowledging the subjectivity of our experiences does not necessarily lead to greater understanding or progress.
123Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.