• TheMadFool
    I don't usually wear rings but one fine day I thought to myself, why not? I found one tucked away in a drawer. I wore it. The first few hours, I felt the ring on my finger, I could sense it. After that, I stopped feeling it. It was as if I wasn't wearing anything at all. For the skin on my ring finger there was absolutely no difference between no ring and yes ring. For the moment set aside the obvious problem of something (yes ring) = nothing (no ring).

Let's proceed further...

We breathe constantly - in and out - but our noses seem unable to smell the air though the air passes through it. Neither can our tongues taste the air though our mouth is always in contact with the air. So, just like the ring is for my skin, the air is for the nose and tongue i.e. yes air = no air for our tongues and noses.

You get the idea, right? Our sensory system is desensitized to that which constantly stimulates it. In short, that which is always present is that which becomes, in a sense, always absent.

What does this mean for us?

Well, it simply means that there's something out there, perhaps a quality, I'm not sure what, that's universal [present everywhere and everytime] but the continuous exposure to it over innumnerable generations has desensitized our sensory apparatus with the upshot being that "something out there" is no longer perceivable to us. It's undetectable in all sensory modalities - they've all lost the ability to detect it.

It reminds me of the conversation I had with @unenlightened in which fae pointed out that to assert that everything is selfish is meaningless. One of us, I don't know who?, offered an analogy that if everything were the color red, we couldn't use redness in a meaningful manner because it becomes, in some sense, the equivalent of the concept of thing. As an explanatory anecdote, I recall a certain someone asking me to get the thing from the room and I was completely baffled because everything is a thing.

Forgive me if the post is disorganized.

Are there things hidden in plain sight?
  • Jack Cummins

I think that part of the issue is that every individual thing is part of something else, or in some ways interconnected to everything else, and that applies to each person, or even parts of ourselves. This seems to be about us as living systems.

However, there is also the division between us and the inanimate. I am not sure how absolute this, because there are blurry areas, like stones and crystals. But we most certainly talk about them as things, but the animate and inanimate do interact in some ways. I will also mention one of the most 'woo' ideas, the whole idea of crystals having the power to heal. I can confess to having some in my room, but that is because I like them, but many believe in the power of amethysts and even have them put into rings. Of course, a slightly different aspect of this is quartz, which we rely on for battery power.

But, it does seem that apart from living alongside other human beings and other life forms, we exist alongside material structures and objects. I often lose things and it is as they are hiding, metaphorically speaking. Jung spoke of certain books falling from the shelves at certain times appropriately, like synchronicities. I experience this frequently, with books and CDs almost calling out to be read or played, but, of course, this process is bound up with my consciousness.

But sometimes it does seem that we are some kind of web larger than ourselves. I find that this happens a lot when I am using computers. Some of what appears to be happening is about reading meanings into things, like patterns. I was once in a big email exchange at work, and, just as I sent off an angry one, the sky went dark almost immediately and crashes of thunder came, and the deputy manager looked at me, smiling, and said, 'Jack, look what you done to the weather.' Perhaps, the immanent storm had been implicating on me. Even within psychiatric hospitals, staff often spoke of a link between full moons and psychiatric emergencies, with
    people becoming violent. So, there may be hidden aspects of life and things, and we could ask what is anything?
  • TheMadFool
    I agree whole-heartedly.
  • Daemon
    What does this mean for us?

Well, it simply means that there's something out there, perhaps a quality, I'm not sure what, that's universal [present everywhere and everytime] but the continuous exposure to it over innumnerable generations has desensitized our sensory apparatus with the upshot being that "something out there" is no longer perceivable to us. It's undetectable in all sensory modalities - they've all lost the ability to detect it.
    TheMadFool

That doesn't follow, you've set off on a fantasy.
  • god must be atheist
    Are there things hidden in plain sight?TheMadFool

Yes, quite a few. Your brain. Your cell chemistry. Your gallbladder, kidneys and liver. etc.
  • Leghorn
    @TheMadFool

This reminded me of a time when I lived in a boarding-house, a large southern house dating back to the mid-19th century, with a large carriage-port, and sprawling front porch which I used to sit on of a summer evening. The old oaks in the yard shaded the entire porch, and it was quite pleasant to sit in the cool darkness and look out over the lamp-lit street.

As the season changed however, and the leaves began to fall, the lamp-light was able to shine through here and there and strike my eyes, causing me to shift my position so that the remaining leaves blocked the light, and I thusly avoided it’s annoying glare. But this became daily more and more difficult as the branches became ever more denuded, and the shifts of position more and more frequent and ineffective at evading the glare until, one night, there was no position I could find that eliminated it. I was now helplessly exposed to the annoyance of the streetlight.

The effect of this situation on my behavior however was not to drive me off my evening porch and indoors. With all the leaves now gone from their branches and all the lights glaring in my eyes, I noticed that, instead, the glare simply ceased anymore to be annoying. It’s omnipresence, like the air on our tongues and in our noses, caused it to become unnoticeable.
  • Nils Loc
    Well, it simply means that there's something out there, perhaps a quality, I'm not sure what, that's universal [present everywhere and everytime]TheMadFool

There is the popular notion that other animals can detect an oncoming natural disaster before it is apparent to us, whether due to air pressure changes, rising water tables, et cetera. Not sure how well studied the phenomena is, if at all, but maybe that means we have the capacity to sense the same thing with our bare senses if we could tune out competing stimuli. Can humans detect air pressure changes? Seems the theory stands that some kinds of desensitization you describe helps to free up the ability to pay attention to other/new stimuli. It's about reducing cognitive load, an adaptation to keep us on our feet, ready for what is coming next.

There is possibly a universal stimuli, being everywhere in the universe potentially sensible, the cosmic background radiation. But that is just kind of like the stuff angry god must be atheist is talking about, stuff that is potentially sensible depending on the nature of the apparatus and focus of the sensor.

Edit: There is also metaphorical woo in the Advaita Vendanta tradition about the universal sound of God, related to the syllables AUM. Maybe it is just white noise (joke).
  • Mark Nyquist
    I couldn't get to the end of what you wrote...just started daydreaming about porches from fifty years ago.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.