• invicta
    Our minds want to keep busy or have something to respond to like external stimuli or wait in anticipation for something to happen such as a response to a social media post or other such things as inner rhetoric etc.

This is often referred to as our monkey brain. I was briefly researching this area of interest as user @Manuel was struggling with the concept of the ever present but elusive now (in another thread)

The thing is the NOW is only as elusive as you wish it to be.

The aim of meditation is simply this, to let go.

Any tips from seasoned monks are welcome on this subject …
  • Manuel

I'm sorry - I was not aware I was having a particular issue with the elusive now. Just the same issues most other philosophers have pointed out - so unless you have some very unique perspective on the issue, don't assume I'm having much problems.

You seem to be enlightened somehow, which is good for you, I suppose. But unless you can state concisely how your position renders you better prepared to discuss this issue - of which I'm quite generally very skeptical, with good reason - then I feel I won't be able to follow such sage views.
  • 180 Proof
    Good old "monkey brain", we wouldn't be here now to navel gaze or "let go" without its incessant monkeying around. After all, primates chanting mantras are just relaxed primates. :sparkle: :monkey:
  • invicta

Please don’t be sorry. I thought you were struggling grasping the NOW.
  • Jack Cummins

I went to meditation this evening in Camden Town. Sometimes if I go to a group meditation I feel unable to switch off. However, what happened today was that I had been really stressed out earlier but became calm on the way so I was able to meditate fairly easy. I think that what happened was that I had worn out my 'monkey brain' so much that I was able to not have its intrusive chatter getting in the way too much.
  • Paine

It would be a monkey brain thing to map out what stop chattering meant. You can't be quiet and say what it is.

There are different practices that approach this in a disciplined fashion. I am no kind of guru to chatter about that.

I have seen the benefits of slowing reactions down. When one does not say the first, second, or third thing that pops into your head, you are in a different country, unsure of what surrounds you. People will recognize you are making an effort at that point.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.