• Moliere
    While what I call triple-A films have sort of become meh, I have to say that film as a genre has actually exploded into so many different directions now due to streaming services launching their own media -- I think television is where the past bit of time has really taken over in terms of exploring the medium.

In particular, the long form has been explored a lot by the streaming TV services. I think that at this point there are so many shows which use this form that we can likely see its downsides, but there were still some really good films that came out of this way of telling stories that was basically unheard of pre-2000. At most there were mini-series, but nothing like the sheer magnitude of shows which have connected episodes, and even seasons, across years like a book does.

Prior to streaming, due to commercials, episodic was the mode of storytelling, and long-form was something only explored by theatre nerds.
  • Moliere
    Heh, I should have kept scrolling. Yup!

Though I still like the whole movie experience. But I'm in home-body mode mostly now
  • Caldwell
    In case no one has mentioned yet, the trilogy by Niels Arden Oplev (or four).

The Girl With a Dragon Tattoo
    The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest
    The Girl Who Played with Fire
  • ssu
    Interesting, even if a bit off topic, which mini-series come to mind?
    (As history and war-movie friend Band of Brothers come to mind.)
  • Jamal
    Some films I’ve enjoyed a lot in more recent years:

Under the Skin
    The Green Knight
    The Killing of a Sacred Deer
    The Cabin in the Woods
    Midsommar
    Us, Get Out (haven’t seen Nope yet)
    Once Upon a Time… in Hollywood
    Triangle of Sadness
    Nightcrawler
    Birdman
    Edge of Tomorrow

There are many I haven’t seen, especially foreign language films. I don’t watch a lot of anything these days.
  • javi2541997
    I remember that in this thread we mentioned "Good Morning" by Yasujiro Ozu as one of the top films. It is available on YouTube with English subtitles. I think it is worthy of seeing the film again. If anyone is interested, here is the link!
  • Vera Mont
    Have I just become old and cranky,ssu

It was bound to happen! I rather enjoy letting myself be cranky - hell, I'm old; I've earned it!
    but are especially Hollywood films become worse? What do you think about current films compared to 20th Century films?ssu

Too soon to tell. We're not talking about all the movies made in the 20th century, just the ones from the second half that were memorable for some reason. Most of every century's artistic output is discarded and forgotten; only the good stuff survives.
    Some of those popular favourites, like the Godfather series and Cuckoo's Nest were good movies, but I didn't like them as much as the books. That's a problem with reading: the movie never quite lives up to your internal image. They always have to leave out parts you're particularly fond of, or cast the wrong actors or something.
    I can think of two exceptions: Cider House Rules and Fried Green Tomatoes.
145678Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet