• Agent Smith
    I define Linguistic Nihilism as the position that ...

1. There's a problem: All languages fail in re the purpose languages are assigned (thinking, communicating, etc.)

2. The problem is unsolvable: It's impossible to reduce/eliminate the aforementioned flaw.

3. The unsolvable problem worsens: Over time and with usage, the aforementioned flaw spirals out of control (we always end up worse than we stared)

[EDIT: @Jamal]

4. Inverse consequence effect: Attempts to solve the problem makes it worse. :wink:

Conclusion

5. Linguistic Catastrophe: All languages will deteriorate into utter gibberish [From 1, 2, 3, 4]

What sayest thou?
  • Jamal
    There's a problem: All languages fail in re the purpose languages are assigned (thinking, communicating, etc.)Agent Smith

Sometimes, but it doesn't mean you shouldn't keep trying, Agent Smith.
  • Agent Smith
    Edited the OP. Danke!
  • Jamal
    I'm beginning to see your point.
  • Agent Smith
    :lol: Merry (belated) Xmas Jamal
  • universeness

What about languages such as binary?
  • Nils Loc
    Language has no definite purpose.

It solves what it solves and it fails where it fails.

I've memories of perusing my university's philosophy section, which lead me to conclude that philosophy is that free domain of language transformation which can approach gibberish. Linguistic catastrophe is definitely most relevant to philosophers.
  • Manuel

What's the argument for saying language has a "purpose"? One is pre-supposing that there is such a "purpose".

We have it now, so in retrospect we put assign it such a thing. But I think one of the ways to frame your main point is to argue that we don't have full definitions - outside mathematics.

Sure, no single word is exhausted by our trying to explain it. But if we attempt to be clear in what we are arguing for - then in need to dissolve into gibberish. We just have to face the fact that there are things we have that we cannot explain to our satisfaction, such as us having full definitions.
  • unenlightened
    What sayest thou?Agent Smith

Fuck off, frankly.

Numbering claims does not make them more tenable, and giving a random hypothesis a fancy name does not add to its credibility. Start speaking more responsibly and with more care, and language will magically heal itself.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.