• Benkei
    I think you don't become an elected official in Brasil without being corrupt.
  • Olivier5
    I think you don't become an elected official in Brasil without being corrupt.Benkei

Let me guess: it works much much better wherever you just happen to live, for some odd reason? Beware of parochialism...
  • Benkei
    That fantasy is all yours...
  • Olivier5
    So then, are you saying that all politicians are corrupt?
  • Benkei
    I don't understand your apparent need to interpret my statement differently than as stated. I said:

I think you don't become an elected official in Brasil without being corrupt.Benkei
  • Olivier5
    In Brasil, specifically. Okay.

What about anywhere else?
  • I like sushi
    Why? Many people do not realise how many died in Brasil. Or did you just think it was a ridiculous point?
  • Olivier5

I seriously doubt the Portuguese were worse than the British or later the Americans in terms of how they treated slaves. One characteristic of British colonialists was their efforts to portay themselves as better and more humane than other colonialists, such as the Spaniard or the French. It was just propaganda though.
  • frank
    I seriously doubt the Portuguese were worse than the British or later the Americans in terms of how they treated slaves.Olivier5

It was worse. I've gotta good book recommendation if you're interested.
  • I like sushi
    Like I said, I mentioned it because not many people know about with the primary focus being on US and British slave trade.

During this dark period of human history more slaves died in Brasil than everywhere else combined - so the estimations say - Considerably more. It is also believed around 40% of the slaves bound for the americas arrived in Brasil. Mostly men who were, if memory served me, typically castrated and/or worked to death - literally - then simply replaced by more men from Africa.

So if I was an african on a slave ship heading for the US I would have been far more likely to survive than those heading for Brasil.
  • Benkei
    I'm not sure what the benefits are of comparing which attrocities were worse. At some point the difference aren't meaningful and I think slavery, whether you die quick or slow, it's one of them. It's also a bit of a tangent from the subject of this thread.

For instance, does anyone know to what extent Bolsonaro was involved? Did he rile up the mob?
  • I like sushi
    It is worth educating people. The reason I mentioned this was in response to something off topic that was also nonsense.

As for Bolsanaro … I doubt the ‘mob’ needed much riling given the amount of corruption in Brasil. The amount of money the government took as bribes not so long ago was astronomical and it does not surprise me that a good proportion of them do not believe Lula had no clue and are unhappy about him being elected.

It is up to Lula to steady the ship but I do not think the stain will go until he goes … even then it will take time. Scandals like that do not fade too quickly in people’s memories.
  • Olivier5
    During this dark period of human history more slaves died in Brasil than everywhere else combined - so the estimations say - Considerably more. It is also believed around 40% of the slaves bound for the americas arrived in Brasil. Mostly men who were, if memory served me, typically castrated and/or worked to death - literally - then simply replaced by more men from Africa.I like sushi

Makes no actual sense. Slaves were worth a lot of money. What is true though is that the porthuguese started the slave trade, in order to develop Brasil, which is enormous while Portugal is very small. They tried to find slaves everywhere along their extensive trade routes, even in Japan.

The other nations only copied the Portuguese, decades later.
  • Olivier5
    Scandals like that do not fade too quickly in people’s memories.I like sushi

Scandals like what? Did Lula forget to pay a parking ticket? Cut his head, now!
  • Olivier5
    I've gotta good book recommendation if you're interested.frank

Written by a Portuguese, I am sure...
  • frank
    I've gotta good book recommendation if you're interested.
    — frank

Written by a Portuguese, I am sure...
    Olivier5

It's a collection of essays and excerpts published by Oxford.
  • Manuel
    I've read that the attempted coup in Brazil was considerably larger than the one in the US, and also that the Brazilian Supreme Court was also targeted.

This may provida Lula an opportunity to reform certain police practices as well as getting some of the moderate Bolsonaro voters (if there are any) to denounce violence and this distance themselves from him.

This plague of right-wingers is very scary. They're still a problem even out of office.
  • frank
    This plague of right-wingers is very scary. They're still a problem even out of office.Manuel

What do you think generates that kind of movement?
  • Manuel

I suspect that part of it has to do with dwindling economic conditions for the vast majority of the population.

Instead of looking for the actual culprits, say, the billionaire class, a significant portion of the political class, and massive multi-national corporations, these politicians do what they've always done, they demonize minorities, vulnerable people and so on.

It's easy to do because you rarely see billionaires in real life, nor are you invited to board meetings in Goldman Sachs or are invited to Davos. But gay people, indigenous people, poor people - those you see every day. "They are responsible for your problems, not us."

And then there are other factors too, nationalism, religion, tribalism, etc., and you have a recipe for a disaster.

That's what I make of it anyway.
  • I like sushi
    Bye bye. You literally have nothing to offer other than blind opinions.

What scandal? :D Seriously? :D
1234Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.