• I like sushi
    I just checked the wiki page … it appears you chose to read what suited you and ignored the rest.

On this subject I am sure I know more than you given that you literally stated some glaring untruths/assumptions based on some weird selective reading from a wiki page.

“Dilute horrors” ? What are you talking about? Whole civilisations literally collapsed before a gun was fired … I call that horrific don’t you?

You want to focus on the butchery in Brasil by ex-cons more? Or perhaps the barbarous ways on some native tribes? Or the slaughter of families in the black hills whilst the men were away waging war?

Who is making assumptions? Oh er … archeologists and historians not people who read selective wiki entries to fit into their sense of knowledge.

My entire point was you wrongly attributed aggressive invading Europeans as the primary mover in the downfall of the American peoples and their civilisations. The additional point was that you clearly know next to nothing about Cochrane and his contributions in South America.
  • universeness
    I just checked the wiki page … it appears you chose to read what suited you and ignored the rest. On this subject I am sure I know more than you given that you literally stated some glaring untruths/assumptions based on some weird selective reading from a wiki page.I like sushi

Which part are you assuming I ignored? Demonstrate that you know more than I about history. You may know more about Mr Cochrane but we all have our areas of depth of historical knowledge based on individual interest.

“Dilute horrors” ? What are you talking about? Whole civilisations literally collapsed before a gun was fired … I call that horrific don’t you?I like sushi

Of course, its horrific, a tsunami is horrific as is an earthquake if you are nearby when it happens. But as I already pointed out to you, do the historical death tolls due to disease dilute the responsibility the historical Spaniards, Portuguese, French, British etc have for their treatment of indigenous first nation peoples?

Who is making assumptions? Oh er … archeologists and historians not people who read selective wiki entries to fit into their sense of knowledge.I like sushi
    Now you are just typing in tantrum mode.

My entire point was you wrongly attributed aggressive invading Europeans as the primary mover in the downfall of the American peoples and their civilisations.I like sushi
    I still do maintain that is the case. Most civilisations have historically recovered from disease. Native Americans and indigenous tribes still exist, despite the ravages of disease and the actions of invaders. They just don't have the same control over the land and its resources as they used to, and that fact has a lot more to do with the actions of the invaders rather than disease. If no deaths were caused within native populations due to disease, then they would still have been almost destroyed due to the greed and short sightedness of their invaders.

The additional point was that you clearly know next to nothing about Cochrane and his contributions in South America.I like sushi
    You probably do know more about him than I do. I have studied the Napoleonic wars in some detail and had read a little about Cochrane as an English naval commander. I probably know a lot more about the Napoleonic wars than you do, but really? WHO CARES!
  • I like sushi
    An estimated 90% of population dead due to disease … and you think civilisations just bounce back after that? You do understand that the black death killed 33%? You do also understand that this was not merely a singular disease but a ‘tsunami’ of diseases and illnesses that crippled them?

I see you have short sightedness. Do not assume your own faults are as prominent in others :D

This is not a tantrum. I am merely mocking someone talking shite because they feel like some moral pinnacle who feels that points blame where they feel it is due … yeah! 90% dead … insignificant! Plus it does not play into my views of colonialism and racism so I can just ignore that … it is ONLY 90%. No need to pay attention to recent discoveries in the Amazon basin made by archeologists … they just ‘assume’ the physical data is true … but ‘truth’ is relative … blah blah blah :D

See? Mocking not a tantrum ;)
  • I like sushi
    Isi Training? Oe si U jbiq?
  • universeness

If ye heid ra baw too much ye wull hurt yer heid too much.
    Watch oot fur flyin baws, fings kin get a wee bit fishy!
  • Mikie
    Spoke too soon. Bolsonaro cultists are now storming Brasilia.

The moronic Trump supporters‘ insurrection sure set a great precedent for the rest of the world.
  • Banno

I wonder where they got that idea from...
  • Changeling
    At least security forces would have been more prepared for a potential attack of racist morons.
  • Olivier5
    Bolsonaro is just another gangster. Lula is the better of the two evils, but hopefully Brazilians will eventually demand much better representatives/leaders than both of them.universeness

Lula is A-okay in my book, much better than most politicians worldwide. Mandela too was accused of all sorts of crimes and spent time in jail ... but his accusers were the real criminals. Same thing in Brazil: they framed Lula because they could not defeat him in the ballot box.

Good thing that Bolsonaro didn't try a "6th January" à la Trump and co., and that he finally accepted his defeat. It could have gone much worse.
  • Olivier5
    Good thing that Bolsonaro didn't try a "6th January" à la Trump and co.,Olivier5

I might have spoken too fast: some bolsonarists have wrecked the congress hall, president palace and supreme court in Brasilia over the weekend... 200 suspected putchists arrested. Apparently Bolsonaro himself is not involved.
  • Benkei
    Plus, it's not as if it's the first time a corrupt politician is voted into office. It's not a disqualifiying trait unfortunately, as much as we would like it to be.
  • Olivier5
    it's not as if it's the first time a corrupt politician is voted into officeBenkei

Rather, it's not the first time an honest, popular politician is unfairly accused of corruption by corrupt elites. Because you see, only the rich and powerful are entitled to steal.
  • Olivier5
    If you were being sold as a slave you would 100% want to be taken to the states rather than Brasil that is for sure!I like sushi

That's ridiculous.
  • universeness
    Lula is A-okay in my book, much better than most politicians worldwide. Mandela too was accused of all sorts of crimes and spent time in jail ... but his accusers were the real criminals. Same thing in Brazil: they framed Lula because they could not defeat him in the ballot box.Olivier5

Yeah, I may well have fell for the intrigue of his opposition. I feel the same way you do about Lula regarding Hugo Chavez.

Good thing that Bolsonaro didn't try a "6th January" à la Trump and co., and that he finally accepted his defeat. It could have gone much worse.Olivier5

Did you type this before or after hearing last nights news from Brazil?
  • Olivier5
    Did you type this before or after hearing last nights news from Brazil?universeness

Before.

Hugo Chavez stayed in power too long for his own good, perhaps a bit like Putin or Thatcher: started good but ended shitty.
  • universeness

The copy cat relationship many people around the world seem to have with all things American, is depressing at best and damn dangerous at worse.
  • Olivier5
    If you are thinking of 6th January, it's the other way round: an American president copying your average banana republic. Trump behaved just like these third world candidates who would rather tear down their republic than accept defeat.
  • universeness

Yeah, well, I suppose its a question of how far back do we trace such events and decide what influenced what?
    The English invading parliament and eventually chopping off the head of the King?
    The British sacking the white house?
    The Russian peasants storming the winter palace?
    The French peasants taking over every palace in France?
    etc.
    My position that in our current global society, what happens in America is unhealthily aped globally, remains.
  • javi2541997
    My position that in our current global society, what happens in America is unhealthily aped globally, remains.universeness

No. Whatever happens in America doesn't usually have important impact in Asia. We think we are copies of USA because we live in Western world (the world they dominate). But these political conflicts will no have any effect in Japan, South Korea or China. They just see the things completely different from us.
  • Olivier5
    I suppose its a question of how far back do we trace such events and decide what influenced whatuniverseness

Yep, Trump did not invent anything new on 6th January, yet he gave ideas to others.

This said, Bolsonaro was in actuality classier than Trump here: he has condemned the weekend violence.

My position that in our current global society, what happens in America is unhealthily aped globally, remains.universeness

If it makes you happy. My conviction is that in our not-so-current (in fact quite old) globalised world, anything happening anywhere is likely to be copied somewhere. American also copy others, even when they think otherwise. It's a two way street.
  • universeness
    If it makes you happy.Olivier5

Do you mean like this?

are you clapping along?
  • universeness
    But these political conflicts will no have any effect in Japan, South Korea or China.javi2541997

Is this despite the fact America has been involved with China since before the boxer rebellion over 200 years ago. They occupied Japan and they fought the Korean war! But their internal political status has no impact on China, Japan or South Korea?
  • javi2541997
    But their internal political status has no impact on China, Japan or South Korea?universeness

No. Not at all. I guess there is some influence around NATO political affairs, but I don't see big impacts on Japanese or Chinese internal political decisions.
  • universeness

How many Chinese, Japanese, South Korean people have you asked the question 'how much are you influenced by the American media?'
  • javi2541997
    Read Mishima and Ishihara and you would understand me.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.