• SophistiCat
    A combination of “nu jazz” and “acid jazz”javi2541997

I don't know much about “nu jazz” and “acid jazz”, but I like this. Will listen more!
  • javi2541997

The first time I listened to it, I just called it "jazz" like anyone else I guess. Because I am not so familiar with technical words and I am event an expert on jazz. But, somehow, the first time you listen to the album, you feel is something different and you like it and enjoy it. To be honest, I discovered that the album is considered as "nu" jazz and "acid" jazz because of Wikipedia. :joke:

I happy to know you liked it. Cheers!
  • SophistiCat
    I am not a connoisseur or anything (I don't even know who Steely Dan is), but wow!

You can recognize Glass right from the first measure from his trademark arpeggios, but you need to keep in mind that this work was composed before he settled into his neo-Romantic groove. And indeed, while instantly recognizable, it doesn't sound stale to my ear.
  • Tom Storm
    Yes. I find it very satisfying to listen to.
  • Moliere
    That was wonderful.
  • SophistiCat
    Speaking of Baroque... Many years ago I heard this tune in a garish synth arrangement, in some indie sci-fi flick:

I had forgotten the movie, but somehow the tune impressed itself upon me. I had no idea what it was, and hadn't heard it since (except in my head once in a while). Until a couple of days ago, when I heard it on classical radio - this time with the title and composer's name attached.

And here it is, in all its Baroque ostinato glory:
    Marin Marais - Sonnerie de Sainte-Geneviève (The Bells of St. Genevieve)

(Curiously, this recording is also from a movie soundtrack. I'm going to watch the movie when I get a chance.)

And a couple more affecting pieces by Marais, performed by the same stellar ensemble:
    Reveal

• Wayfarer
    I am not a connoisseur or anything (I don't even know who Steely Dan is), but wow!SophistiCat

Here's the original (oh, and I'm a Steely Dan tragic.)
  • SophistiCat
    Cheers. Good stuff. I didn't realize there was a song to go with the instrumentals. That guitar dude's arrangement of the accompaniment is impressive as a technical and musical achievement, but without the song the overall effect is merely... nice.
  • Wayfarer
    He’s an amazing talent, that’s for sure.
  • Wayfarer
    Some old guys doing it - Donald Fagen, Michael McDonald, Boz Skaggs

• SophistiCat
    If Bach Kept Bees...

Music from the young Arvo Pärt, from around the time when he got into early music.

The buzzing tune heard at the beginning and throughout the piece is a slightly obfuscated B-A-C-H sequence (spelled out in German musical notation). The ending quotes a prelude from WTC 1.
  • Moliere
    I feel as if I've posted this one before, but if so I missed it while looking:

• Noble Dust

Classic. This is one of my favorites. The title track is good, but the B-sides are my favorites:

• Noble Dust
    Here's some recent classical:

• Leontiskos
    Check out this amazing talent. One guy, one guitar, many, many layers.Quixodian

That's a whole 'nother level. I've never seen anything like it.

• Wayfarer
    Here's a recent performance by young Sicilian guitar virtuoso Matteo Mancuso, playing the track 'Open Fields' from his recent album, The Journey. For those who haven't heard of him, I think he has a legitimate claim to being the best electric guitarist recording right now. The recording quality of this performance isn't the best, but it still conveys his virtuosity - notice he plays with his fingers, not a plectrum - and his personality, which is artistic and not at all ego-driven. If you like his style, find him on Youtube where he has a big archive, or via this story which provides more background and more examples of his astonishing technical virtuosity.

• Wayfarer
    Vocal jazz excellence

• jkop
    This year I've been listening a lot to the young great guitarist Pedro Martins Here's a video of his version of a famous tune by Ravel
  • AmadeusD
    Currently looking at a lot of Opera (on top of In a Silent Way - Miles Davis, and Gregorio Allegri's Miserere)

Mario Lanza and Jussi Bjorling's performances of La Donna e Mobile are absolutely phenomenal.

• 180 Proof

"India" (14:10)
    Impressions, 1963
    composer John Coltrane, 1961
    performers J. Coltrane, E. Dolphy, M. Tyner, J. Garrison, R. Workman & E. Jones
  • 180 Proof

"Shhh/Peaceful" (16:16)
    In a Silent Way, 1969
    composer Miles Davis
    performers M. Davis, W. Shorter, J. McLaughlin, C. Corea. H. Hancock, J. Zawinul, D. Holland & T. Williams
  • AmadeusD
    That's a whole 'nother level. I've never seen anything like it.Leontiskos

This version is also utterly incredible.
  • Olento
    Lately been listening to a lot of baroque music. There's something strange in it that I cannot explain.

• Jamal

:up:

Lately been listening to a lot of baroque music. There's something strange in it that I cannot explain.Olento

Is it that it lies in an uncanny valley or a liminal space between the pre-modern and the modern? That it’s strange and familiar at the same time?
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment