• ArguingWAristotleTiff
    Thanksgiving is a few days away and the food preparation is on here at the ranch.
    Any goodies in the plans for anyone else?

Here is the one I am going to give a test run today, Wosret you should probably just skip to the next recipe ;)

Bacon Wrapped Smokies baked in a Brown Sugar sauce

I hear they are to die for and based on the ingredients, I have no reason to doubt their claims, but I need to recruit some smiling faces to help me pull off this event. So my strategy is to tempt them with food and bribe them with liquor. 8-)

Any takers? :D
  • BC
    Bribe them with enough liquor and you won't need to tempt them with anything.

Were I to come across the dietary abomination of bacon wrapped sausage in barbecue sauce at the buffet I would certainly eat several of them.
  • Cavacava
    Sounds great! Bacon, sausage and brown sugar, are all naturals. What you might want to consider is a few different types of dipping sauces as a way to expand your dish, beyond the magnificent aroma of your crispy treat. They should be simple. Your favorite barbecue sauce, a mayo/mustard piquant sauce, and perhaps a tart cranberry dipping sauce.

The colors alone should entice the dippers.
  • Thorongil
    Well, several pigs certainly died for such a dish. :-}
  • _db
    They would have been slaughtered regardless, and the meat would have been wasted. I agree that ideally we shouldn't kill sentient animals, but they have already been killed. Unfortunately abstaining from being a consumer is not going to bring these pigs back to life, although you could argue that it perpetuates the killing machine.
  • Thorongil
    Shh. We don't have to have that argument here. I just couldn't resist that quip, as a vegetarian myself.
  • _db
    I was going to say something myself, actually. ;)
  • BC
    Darthbarracuda said "They would have been slaughtered regardless"

They don't kill the pigs regardless and then decide what to do with all of the dead, soon to rot meat. The process begins on the other end, with things like insinuating suggestions that we wrap smoked wienery type things with baconish slabs of dead swine flesh. Having read the suggestion we imagine how good that would be in a bath of brown, spicy sauce. We drool. Then we drive to the meat market (stimulating the drilling of oil wells) where we stare at the butcher, like dogs in the kitchen who KNOW we are eating better food than they are getting. The butcher eventually gets the message: "Bacon?" We shake our heads eagerly. "Wienery type things?" We stand up and bark. "I see." the butcher says. He calls up a connection on the Red Phone and yells, "KIll the pig!" To us he says, "go away and wait." Days later a text message pops up on your phone (intercepted by the dog who goes nuts): Bcn n wnry thngs r w8tng 4 u.
  • _db
    For mass-produced bacon, a single individual's desire for bacon has no effect on whether or not the pig is slaughtered.
  • BC
    For mass-produced bacon, a single individual's desire for bacon has no effect on whether or not the pig is slaughtered.darthbarracuda

It is literally true that your decision to fry bacon tomorrow will not result in a pig being killed today. However, you are part of a composite pattern of consumption which does result in pigs being slaughtered far enough in advance that you can buy a package of bacon and cook it.

The lead time before a pig can be turned into bacon is almost a year. (The boar impregnates the sow, the sow delivers a litter almost 4 months later; it may take up to 7 or 8 months to get a hog up to the ideal weight for sale and processing. Food crops like wheat, corn, beans, etc. also require roughly a year's lead time. It takes additional time to process food and ship in out to the local retail store.

Everybody -- farmer, processors, wholesalers, distributors, retail stores -- all want to know when you are going to buy bacon, and how much you are going to buy. No one can afford to assume that you (and everybody else) will eat every slice of bacon that is produced. A considerable effort goes into estimating probable food sales, so that over production does not occur. (Overproduction cuts profits.)

Agriculture is a very risky business, and so is food processing. There is a long supply chain between a pig in the barn yard and your frying pan. The goal of the supply chain is to achieve a steady flow of food at the highest level of profit possible. If farmers raise too many pigs, they lose money. If Hormel can not sell all of its ham and bacon, it loses money. If a retailer can't sell all of the turkeys in the freezer by New Years, he has to sell the rest at a loss. To avoid those loses, they try to tie your batch of fried bacon to killing a pig (only for millions of people, not for you alone).
  • Mayor of Simpleton
    Shh. We don't have to have that argument here. I just couldn't resist that quip, as a vegetarian myself.Thorongil

GOOD!!!

Especially since I just made about 2 kgs of Beef Jerky. (not all too common in Austria)

I'm quite happy with the Merlot/Black Pepper and the Garlic/Teriyaki Jerky.

Meow!

GREG
  • Thorongil
    That sounds disgusting.
  • Moliere
    This year is food at the folks. In spite of my offers if I eat at the folks my offers of help are always turned down. So it's bound to be utterly delicious and decadent, with too many pies on offer, and vegan options for the vegans that are attending.

It's all pretty traditional stuff, though the folks are religious so no alcohol will be at the proceedings.

EDIT: This was the recipe used two years ago for the vegans, minus the cheese. Plenty of coconut milk on hand as well for both cooking and breakfast. Make some additional stuffing too so that it's not cooked in the turkey, plus the bread on hand, and there's plenty for non-meat folk.
  • Mayor of Simpleton
    That sounds disgusting.Thorongil

I can live with that, as it means more for me. :D

Meow!

GREG
  • Sir2u
    What the hell????

I came looking for recipes to steal and I find arguments about killing pigs.

If you are religious then the bible says that the animals are for your use, eat em up. If you are not religious then there is no sin to commit, eat em up.

I had a typical English breakfast for lunch yesterday. Bacon, sausage, baked beans, eggs, mushrooms, fried tomatoes and toast.
    AHHHHhhh. :D
  • _db
    I came looking for recipes to steal and I find arguments about killing pigs.Sir2u

Welcome to PF. :D

If you are religious then the bible says that the animals are for your use, eat em up. If you are not religious then there is no sin to commit, eat em up.Sir2u

If you aren't religious you can still have an ethical system based upon empathy and compassion, which would result in you becoming a vegetarian/vegan/pescetarian out of respect for the animals.
  • BC
    We were also discussing chickens and eggs. Does killing pigs and making bacon come first, or does your going to the store to buy bacon come first? I say the store comes first. In the good old days, you decided to have bacon for breakfast so you arranged for a boar to screw a sow so she would get pregnant, produce little piggies, which would grow up to become bacon. Ditto for the eggs. You wanted fried eggs so you bought some chickens so that they would lay enough eggs for everyone. You wouldn't buy the chickens and then wonder what to do with the eggs.
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    Thank you for your suggestions @Cavacava! I went with your Cranberry dipping sauce suggestion and added some roasted Chipotle peppers and wwwwwwwwwoooooooooo that's got some kick! :D They never did make it out of the pan! The bacon was candied and phenomenal! 8-)
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    Cranberry sauce? You betcha! This is a recipe I stole from Mom (who stole it from Martha Stewart) after many Happy Thanksgivings! Mom has a few tips about hosting: alcohol, food and gambling a fun party does make! 8-)

Drunken Cranberries
    1 1/2 cups simple sugar syrup
    2 sticks cinnamon
    Zest from 1 large orange
    1 cup fresh cranberries
    1 1/2 cups white rum

In a large saucepan, combine simple syrup, cinnamon, and orange zest. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; add cranberries. Cook until cranberries just begin to pop and skins begin to split, about 1 minute. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
    2. Strain liquid into a large container. Discard cinnamon and orange zest; add cranberries to liquid, along with rum. If cranberries are not fully submerged in liquid, add equal parts simple syrup and rum until they are completely covered. Let cool completely.
    3. Cover, and transfer to refrigerator until chilled, at least 2 hours and up to 3 weeks.

Consume responsibly! ;)
  • Thorongil
    If you are religious then the bible says that the animals are for your use, eat em up. If you are not religious then there is no sin to commit, eat em up.Sir2u

What an absurd false dichotomy. Perhaps you are trolling, though.
  • Mayor of Simpleton
    What an absurd false dichotomy. Perhaps you are trolling, though.Thorongil

Just to be fair...

... I sort of imagine Tiff started this thread to more or less share recipes and discuss interesting dishes to eat. I have great doubts that it was meant to be a soapbox platform for an ethics rant-o-thon over the virtues or vices of Vegetarian vs. Vegan vs. Meat Eaters .

Perhaps you can accuse one of trolling, but indeed there could be the accusation of hijacking or derailing this thread on your account.

How about you discussing some good vegetarian dishes and share some good vegetarian recipes rather than claim a 'moral high ground' and make simply smug dismissals?

In respect to Tiff...

... cut it.

Meow!

GREG
  • Thorongil
    Well, I don't take orders from you, and wasn't actually planning on posting anymore in this thread, but if you keep replying to me, then you are just exacerbating the very thing you accuse me of having done.
  • Sir2u
    If you aren't religious you can still have an ethical system based upon empathy and compassion, which would result in you becoming a vegetarian/vegan/pescetarian out of respect for the animals.darthbarracuda

Would a wolf or a tiger have compassion for me, even a wild hog would kill a person to eat without a worry. Does having a greater ability to reason automatically make it an obligation to develop compassion and empathy?

What an absurd false dichotomy. Perhaps you are trolling, though.Thorongil

Let's see you prove it is false then, or are you just being aggravating. 8-)
  • _db
    Would a wolf or a tiger have compassion for me, even a wild hog would kill a person to eat without a worry. Does having a greater ability to reason automatically make it an obligation to develop compassion and empathy?Sir2u

Having a greater sense of reason means that we humans can look at the ecosystem and realize how much of a pyramid scheme it is, realize how much an organism suffers simply because it wasn't able to fight back. To say that we should just follow nature because that's what nature is, is the naturalistic fallacy.
  • Moliere
    http://www.deepsouthdish.com/2013/11/southern-candied-yams-sweet-potatoes.html

Here's a close approximate recipe to the yams we make every year.

Close in the sense that ours is simpler -- more butter, and only add brown sugar. ;)
  • Sir2u
    Having a greater sense of reason means that we humans can look at the ecosystem and realize how much of a pyramid scheme it is, realize how much an organism suffers simply because it wasn't able to fight back.darthbarracuda

Yes, I agree that we can. But the question is still "should we?"
    Did nature make us aware of these facts so that we should create rules about eating animal? Or did nature give us knowledge of how to survive even at the cost of other species?

To say that we should just follow nature because that's what nature is, is the naturalistic fallacy.darthbarracuda

I have not heard of any good ways to refute the ideas of naturalistic thinking, have you heard any conclusive rebuttals. Personally I do not believe that just because something happens in nature it must be good or even that just because something does not happen naturally it must be bad. Both can be used to manipulate others in so many ways.
    What I do believe is that mankind has no business judging what happens in nature as either good or bad. The world is as it is and mans' pompous attitudes make him think he is allowed to judge something over which he has no control.
  • Cavacava
    Martha Stewart

I have made some of her recipes, they work, but if I remember correctly she uses a lot of exotic ingredients. It is fascinating how my conception of Martha has changed over the years. She kinda morphs along, she changes peoples lives for the better.
  • Mayor of Simpleton
    Well, I don't take orders from you, and wasn't actually planning on posting anymore in this thread, but if you keep replying to me, then you are just exacerbating the very thing you accuse me of having done.Thorongil

It's not an order. It's just an appeal to show a sign of respect to the OP.

Ask Tiff if this is what she had in mind when starting this thread or not. I'm not exacerbating this, as much as I'm trying to make an appeal to get things back to the original intention of the OP. Hells bells, how the fuck should I know what your intentions are unless you state them? No need to be all huffy and defensive.

I'd be happy to see some vegetarian or vegan suggestions of stuff to make and try out.

anyway...

Meow!

GREG
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    Greg, you are absolutely right as to why I started this thread but maybe I mislead some in my warning to Wosret. I do appreciate your contributions to this thread and for taking up what was beginning to splinter the thread.
    Thank you for the peace keeping~
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    My youngest Indian is making an awesome appetizer as well as the desert for this feast. He came up with an awesome twist on an old and never to be eaten by a child Brussel Sprouts. I cannot stand the Cabbage wanna be's but I tried them for my son and I wound up loving them. (L)

Teriyaki Glazed Roasted Brussel Sprouts
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    I am making a hot appetizer as well for those who are wanting a bit of a cheesy twist.
    It's called Jarlsberg Cheese Dip and contains three ingredients, can be made in advance and broiled in small batches as desired. This is another crowd pleaser and a reason to chat with the chefs. :-*
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.