• Shawn
    I don't understand the mass migration from PF to this nice forum. I honestly liked the formatting better at PF. I don't like how many posts seem like from a newspaper column. Any arguments and reasons that motivated you to move here rather than stay at PF that might dissuade me?

Thanks.
  • _db
    I would consider myself one of the newer guys still in the PF network, as I've only been here for a little over a year now.

I may be alone in this, but I feel this new PF is a lot more relaxed and fun than the old PF was. Feels like I'm not getting judged as much for being a newb, and we're all just having civilized discussions without spamming the eye-rolling emoji.
  • bert1
    The absence of eyerolling is indeed a major plus.

I think jamalrob has set a better tone than Paul did.

I love the monthly reading group, even though I haven't got time to get stuck into it.

TGW is here.

And you can do both. I still post on PF.
  • photographer
    I always felt that PF suffered from pandering to analytical approaches and exiling more creative thinkers. I haven't been in "philosophy mode" of late, and haven't been contributing much (or even following) here, but my impression is that this is potentially a better place.
  • Agustino
    I much prefer this place as well. Everything looks much nicer, is more clear, and the community seems more friendly and closer! :)
  • Sir2u
    I'm going back to PF, why not?

Not all of us left, we just diversified.

I understand why many did actually did leave, you can read all about it in the threads that were created both here and at PF, and some of them had good reasons for doing so. Others were not affected so much.

But, after seeing what is happening over there these past few weeks, I doubt that you will find too much to do. The Shoutbox still has shouts from 10 days ago.

I wonder if the new owners are making money?
  • S
    • This place has great people, some of whom no longer or rarely post at the other place.
    • It looks and functions better.
    • This place is awesome.
    • My membership is under review at the other place.
    • The rebel in me has taken over.
    • This place is awesome.
  • Moliere
    Mostly the people. I figured that this is why I come to a philosophy forum, and so it's sort of a self-fulfilling prophecy.

The other features are also nice. ;) But that was my main metric.
  • BC
    I don't understand the mass migration from PF to this nice forum. I honestly liked the formatting better at PF. I don't like how many posts seem like from a newspaper column. Any arguments and reasons that motivated you to move here rather than stay at PF that might dissuade me?Question

The situation isn't exactly like some religions where, if you leave, you might get beheaded. You can come and go as you like. Post here, post there.
  • Mayor of Simpleton
    Any arguments and reasons that motivated you to move here rather than stay at PF that might dissuade me?Question

Why would I want to dissuade you from posting in PF?

Why should my reasons not to post anymore in PF be of any reason why you should not post there anymore?

I find my reasons to no longer participate in PF are quite good ones, but why should they be great ones for you too?

"Doowutchyalike"

One of the best lyrics of all time!
    "Homegirls, for once, forget you got class,
    See a guy you like: just grab I'm in the biscuits!"

Meow!

GREG
  • Thorongil
    I thought I might hold out before making a decision, but I've effectively decided to move here. The other forum is rather dead and the threads uninteresting, which I feel had been true for a while as well. Now that the best posters have moved here, there's no reason to go back.

And while I don't like the slightly truncated spatial dimensions of this new forum, it certainly functions vastly more smoothly than the old one. We also seem to be on the second page of a Google search for "The Philosophy Forum," so this forum can only grow.
  • BC
    Eventually a million posts will use up most of the interesting topics.
  • Jamal
    I don't like the slightly truncated spatial dimensions of this new forumThorongil

Have you zoomed your browser? I couldn't use this site if I left it at the default size. Ctrl++ a couple of times.
  • Thorongil
    Can an interesting topic ever be used up?
  • _db
    M-Theory, you haven't replied yet. Just reminding you.
  • Soylent
    I haven't yet made my relationship with this forum exclusive. Part of my reluctance to commit to one forum is the lack of content on this forum from other users. I'm more of a lurker than a poster, so my lurking needs are not yet being met here. I've tried to supply more content here than I normally do at the other forum, but my discussion quality leaves something to be desired. I am actually cheering for this forum because I feel like I am a part of the history of the forum and I have a (misplaced) sense of responsibility in the success or lack thereof.
  • Shawn
    M-Theory, you haven't replied yet. Just reminding you.darthbarracuda

Maybe a misunderstanding; but, I am not M-Theory. I don't have much more to comment on what has been said. I guess not thinking about this in terms of "either or" is what got me out of my previous mindset.
  • _db
    Sorry, Question. Your avatar is similar to the avatar of M-Theory over at the old PF.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.