• William Wallace
    Intro to Thread
    Hi. My purpose in this thread is to present and discuss a simple framework for organizing knowledge and experience in ways friendly to science, supportive of pragmatic philosophy, and allowing of the mythical and mystical, not only not to exclude potential audiences, but because subjectivity is part of conceptual space, as are hybrid systems containing both factual information and preferential choices (thus the need for careful pathfinding among the factual, preferential, artistic and spiritual).

The framework is intended to be useful and pragmatic rather than the expression of a given ideology or school of thought, and certainly is not intended as a set of truth statements or a stake in the ground to defend at all costs. Rather, as readers here are aware, it is hard to state virtually anything without grounding argument in some way, and in so doing, make specific philosophical choices. I seek input and discussion of those basic choices that must inform the model, while being as parsimonious and minimal as can be. They will eventually have to be baked in as unstated assumptions; there's the rub.

My purpose may be slightly at odds with customary discussion. By that I mean that my end goal is not to present a stellar work of art to admiring philosophers, ladies and gentlemen, and then retire to my toga; I could only wish! I am afraid my goal is far more pedestrian and humble, while remaining critically fundamental as an aid to others, should my effort prove useful.

The Question: How might a layman be provided with basic tools to aid in successfully navigating the world, and most importantly, be aided in being independently capable of sustaining critical thinking, to the point of possessing and learning to use an initial approach to debunking and evaluating beliefs and belief systems?

The goal of this framework is to provide basic tools without the presale or backdooring, so to speak, of higher level ideological choices, political, religious or otherwise. It is intended for those with lofty and malicious goals alike, for both those seeking to enlighten or to gaslight, as is their wont, for that is that nature of a neutral tool. Once fleshed out, of course, I like anyone else might then employ the framework to the specific ends I feel justified, such as in the serial evaluation of sociopolitical and other philosophies.

[Gimme a sec to post 1-2 more items first. Thx!]
  • Metaphysician Undercover
    The Question: How might a layman be provided with basic tools to aid in successfully navigating the world, and most importantly, be aided in being independently capable of sustaining critical thinking, to the point of possessing and learning to use an initial approach to debunking and evaluating beliefs and belief systems?William Wallace

Isn't the best answer to this question years of institutional education?
  • William Wallace
    Indeed! Unfortunately, no perfect worlds.
    By the way, the automatic moderation of comments by new users (no complaint!) delayed my mini-rollout of initial posts. Now have to wait for some free time in order to continue.
  • Metaphysician Undercover

They don't want to be spammed. I'll wait to see your posts, try them one at a time.
  • William Wallace
    [Nota Bene:
    • For whatever non-life-threatening health reasons, I can only post when able, an unpredictable affair. Sorry if a tad sporadic. Hope to add 4-5 short blurbs in a relatively brief time period, Mother Nature willing.
    • Preference is shown for using lay terms and straightforward vernacular whenever possible.]

Grounded Reasoning
    In practice, we often snatch whatever principle or value we might find handy out of need or preference and apply it to argument. When push comes to shove, unstated assumptions come to the fore, and often things are at best left as a matter of opinion to be disagreed upon, even in matters of fact. It would be of use not only to have some starting point or common ground, not impossible in principle. Far harder is agreeing on its derivation, on where we source the foundation for a given argument. What is a legitimate view, on what authority can one speak? Most of us, in my view, default to employing what is felt to be logical reasoning from scientific fact or religious precept, often crossing is-ought boundaries, or ignoring the non-divine nature of human endeavor, as the case may be. Is that all there is in terms of choices? How can I know when I'm right and the other guy is wrong, by golly?

A Basic Worldview
    Legitimate as reasoning from fact may be, there is much to be said about reason itself, or what makes a fact, some of which will be the focus of this discussion, some best left to argument among philosophers (inhabiting arcane web sites on the interwebs). Let us assume, for a rather optimistic moment, that we wish, not to abandon all we know or dismiss long-held conviction, but to order our thoughts in such a way as to make many matters of heated discussion a tad easier to handle.

After quite a number of rounds of arguing with scientists, philosophers and gadflies of varying sorts and reputations, you may find the task of agreeing with anyone on some sort of ground zero nigh impossible. But for entertainment purposes, and so no one will call us quitters, we'll make a go of it anyway.

Where to start? OMG, reality? In trouble already! Hold on, hold on. Step back and consider: basically we can all agree there is the stuff we think inside our heads, and the stuff out there, not to put to fine a point on it. Speaking of points and heads...

We actually will need to put a finer point on it. Darn. Consider this:
    • Conceptual space: Refers to the full and broadest extent of human thought, knowledge and imagination, including science, fiction, woo, myth, and the proverbial kitchen sink.
    • Physical space: Refers to the natural world, famously the subject of scientific inquiry.
    Already the anti-realists are leaping out of armchairs, smoking pipes turned toward us in menace, slapping slippers at the ready! Let us invite them to the instrumentalist waiting room, shall we, and perchance we shall meet again, in some future post yet waiting collapse of its wave function.

For now, we shall consider that physical space is possible to map using science, and our best current understanding of that mapping resides in conceptual space. This is rather convenient, there being a tether to our argument, appeals to measurement and repeated results being both possible and quite handy. Rather productive, too, and pragmatic. So convenient, and so handy, in fact, that everyone want in on the act, inventing alternatives to fact and claiming proper tethers. Are they all mad?

Pausing for refreshment, we are suddenly faced with an immediate quandary. Among the different choices we are to make to ease the woes of reading this post, all of which choices are (say) equally healthy, science is silent. Mute, the ruddy bastard! The very second we wish to have a life, goners. Sucks, indeed.

[More to come: Mapping Conceptual Space]
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.