• schopenhauer1
    Who here thinks that if they question the "game of life" that god setup and call god immoral, that they will be cursed by that very same god for calling him immoral? I am just wondering how deep-rooted people's superstitions go.. I suspect even atheist-types have some deep-rooted superstitions.. Perhaps a feature of human life even, but certainly institutionalized and redistributed en masse under religion. Yaweh seems very pissy, and doesn't like being called immoral.. He has "things" in mind for little peons who call out the king....
  • 180 Proof
    'Aligning expectations with reality' (being absurdist) tends to reduce foolery (misery) and thereby optimizes agency (well-being). Raised and schooled a monotheist (Roman Catholic) by customary superstition, for decades since I've been an antitheist (pandeist) by reason. A happy Sisyphus who sings the blues. :death: :flower:
  • Tom Storm
    A happy Sisyphus who sings the blues. :death: :flower:180 Proof

That's wonderful and sounds likes a fitting statement for a grave marker.

. I suspect even atheist-types have some deep-rooted superstitions..schopenhauer1

The only thing atheists have in common is one thing - a lack of belief in God. Some may also believe superstitions.

Who here thinks that if they question the "game of life" that god setup and call god immoral, that they will be cursed by that very same god for calling him immoral?schopenhauer1

I personally lack a sensus divinitatis so I have never held a belief in any kind of supervisory being or higher consciousness. Humans are driven to make meaning so it's hardly surprising that along the way we've created any number of fantastical creatures - trolls and elves and fairies and spirits and gods.
  • _db
    There are good reasons to believe that YHWH is actually Yaldabaoth the Demiurge, a malevolent deceiver-god that wants you to think he is all-powerful and has to capacity to send you to Hell for all eternity if you don't follow his rules to the letter. Turns out, you are already in Hell and Yaldabaoth is trying to keep you in it...don't drink the kool-aid holy water! Escape the cycle! No kids either!
  • Wheatley
    Who here thinks that if they question the "game of life"schopenhauer1
    "The game of life" refers to a cellular automaton created by John Horton Conway. Since you are obviously not talking about the cellular automation, nobody really knows what you are talking about.
  • Janus
    Yaldabaoth the Demiurge,darthbarracuda

The flawed creator deity of the Gnostics is so much more lovable than Yahweh; since we can insult him with impunity.
  • TheMadFool
    game of lifeschopenhauer1

I find this analogy - life as a game - perfect; it's hidden in plain sight. See Simulation Hypothesis. Also, Video Games. It's not that much of a stretch to now think of God as the game (of life) developer/designer. We're all in His world, we have to play by His rules, there are quests & side quests with minibosses, superbosses and then a final boss (Algos/Thanatos). Ouch! Anti....natalism!

What about online avatars???
  • Hanover
    The game of life" refers to a cellular automaton created by John Horton Conway. Since you are obviously not talking about the cellular automation, nobody really knows what you are talking about.Wheatley

That's what you think of when you think of the game of life? We must have had very different childhoods.zxdajfo6evg559lk.jpg
  • Wheatley
    That doesn't seem like such a terrible game!
  • 180 Proof
    "Clap along
    if you feel
    like a room without a roof" ...

:clap: :fire:
  • baker
    I despise this song. It helped turn "happiness" into a status symbol.

"See, I'm happy. Therefore, I'm better than you, so I can spit on you."
  • baker
    Who here thinks that if they question the "game of life" that god setup and call god immoral, that they will be cursed by that very same god for calling him immoral?schopenhauer1

Well, there was a time when I would here and there have nightmares about going to hell, punished by God eternally. It's been a while since the last one.

But I'm not sure such fear of divine punishment is what drives many people's (desire for) procreation and their efforts to maintain the worldly status quo. Those seem to be more about the fear of not fitting in.

Also, sensual pleasures do have some allure to them. One cannot give up on them easily.
  • Josh Alfred
    If you would have asked that to me when I was a teenager, I would have said that I thought that. So YES I have thought that and taken it literally. Now, I am on such terms with "creator figures" that I would never take the Biblical version too seriously. Why isn't Sean Murray , creator of procedural generated universes, deified? "He should be," is quite preposterous. He is just a creative being, just as most intelligent beings are. LOL
  • frank
    Clap along
    if you feel
    like a room without a roof" ...
    180 Proof

I love that line
  • frank
    See, I'm happy. Therefore, I'm better than you, so I can spit on you."baker

I generally do spit on people who aren't as happy as I am, but I can't spit very far and it just lands on my t-shirt and then I'm sad.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.