• TiredThinker
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TTc3vHR5n44

This is basically my assessment, and I supposedly live somewhere sponge candy is popular. What does everyone else think?
  • Tom Storm
    Sponge candy? A terrible name. We tend to know it Rocky Road or honeycomb toffee. In the days when I ate confectionary I used to love it.
  • Metaphysician Undercover
    Sponge toffee, delicious, tastes like burnt sugar and gets stuck in your teeth.
  • TiredThinker

Do they make a candy that literally contains honeycomb?
  • Tom Storm
    Don't know. I think honeycomb is close enough to candy on its own.
  • Nils Loc
    The stuff they put in a Violet Crumble candy bar? This is the only local product that contains honeycomb candy. Only ever had it once. Not great but not terrible either, which is something I might say of all commercial candy bars now a days. I notice it often when I see it on the shelf because I like the reflective purple wrapper.

Honeycomb toffee sounds like a better formulation than the styrofoam version coated in a thin layer of chocolate.
  • universeness
    Do they make a candy that literally contains honeycomb?TiredThinker

I think it's called a 'Crunchie!' I love em! But my type 2 diabetes complains!
    s-l1600.jpg
  • Tom Storm
    That's it. I used to love Crunchies too. But some boutique confectioners make their own version of this product and the honeycomb is thicker, heavier and richer than the Cadbury version. In my time, I could easily eat a kilo of the stuff.

The stuff they put in a Violet Crumble candy bar?Nils Loc

Yep - that's originally the Aussie version, I think. They are a bit denser than the Crunchie bar.
  • universeness
    the honeycomb is thicker, heavier and richer than the Cadbury version.Tom Storm

:yum: :yum: I want a kilo or two of those!!!! Do they come in a dark chocolate version :pray:
  • Vera Mont
    I used to love it as a kid. Plus, it's great fun to make.
    https://lilluna.com/sponge-candy/
  • universeness
    I also can eat these by the big family bag, with single malt whisky chasers.
    414AEEUrPxL._AC_SX385_.jpg
    Again, as a type 2 diabetic ( which I probably received due to a long relationship with such products, that took me to 17 stone at 5 foot 11inches tall, ( I am now about 14.5 stone)) My rebellious nature, means that death by chocolate remains a serious possibility, despite the meds I take for it. I think the ave lifespan for a type 2 diabetic, that does not get it under sufficient control is around 67. So I have around 8 years of enjoying my dark chocolate, (with any centre but honeycomb is a fav,) rebel status. :grin:
  • Vera Mont

I'm married to a well controlled type 2 of 78, and he can get a little chocolate into his diet, as a trade-off for things like rice and real sugar. You can make it work if you plan.
  • universeness

Oh, I agree and so does my immediate family and the nurse who shakes her head, almost every time I go for my annual HbA1C test. She reminds me of the blindness, loss of legs, kidney failure etc that come with excessive intake of sugar for type 2 diabetics. Your husband is doing it correctly, if he is taking the meds, getting a little exercise, keeping his weight down and only ever having a little bit of what he fancies now and again. I am more a feast and famine type of personality. I can keep up a routine for a while but then I need to break out and rebel. It's something that run's very deep. So, If I get anywhere near 78, I will be very surprised to have 'gotten away with it.' In fact I will probably die of surprise!

• Vera Mont
    I can keep up a routine for a while but then I need to break out and rebel.universeness

So does he. And then, when the strips are very bad (by his exacting standards) he suddenly goes on an extreme diet, subsisting on boiled eggs and cabbage (no, I can do a little better than that!) marching up and down the house with his pedometer, teetotal and grumpy, for three weeks, loses 15lb, and maintains discipline again for two or three months before it begins to slip into a little self-indulgence here and there.
    It doesn't include sponge toffee, BTW: neither of us can afford the dental risk.

That reminds me, it's xmas. I'd better assemble a food bank bag and remember to buy chestnuts while we're in town today. Weather permitting....
  • universeness
    He sounds like a brother of the bounce! We wonderfully nuanced and sometimes contradictory personalities, are always interesting to live with.
  • Vera Mont
    It has its ups and downs. Feeding one of yous can be a botheration, especially if vegetarian and salt-conscious. Meanwhile, I have a different set of food restrictions, so we basically have separate menus.
  • universeness

Yeah, we come in a few varieties. I am an omnivore and there are few foods I don't like, so I'm not a fussy eater.
    I also like all condiments. I tend to dislike unfamiliar foods however. I don't like eating stuff like caviar, fois gras, kangaroo, octopus, squid, bugs etc. But I never met a chocolate concoction I did not like.
  • Nils Loc
    So this thread caused me to buy a Violet Crumble (toffee styrofoam) and I'm revising my evaluation.

It was much tastier than I recall. I give it an 8.5/10.
  • Vera Mont
    When I was a kid, we sometimes bought it in a block wrapped in cellophane. It was pretty cheap compared to chocolate bars and lasted longer. We would hit the brick with a hammer and suck the shards slowly, letting the sugar melt in our mouth while my brother and I watched Saturday afternoon cowboy and horror movies.
    There is no possible way I could recall any of that as being awful.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment