• Wheatley
    My point is that because having a child is a decision of someone else´s life, and those risks will fall to the childAntinatalist
    I can just as well say that adults are responsible for children.
  • Antinatalist
    My point is that because having a child is a decision of someone else´s life, and those risks will fall to the child
    — Antinatalist
    I can just as well say that adults are responsible for children.
    Wheatley

Of course they are! But they are not the ones who could prevent the realization of risks (no one can); and those - at least some - fall for the child. Parents can do their best, but there are no guarantees that those acts will prevent children from suffering.
  • Wheatley

Even if it's morally wrong, people are still going to have children anyways. Antinatalism is useless. You'd have to pass a law!
  • Antinatalist
    ↪Antinatalist
    Even if it's morally wrong, people are still going to have children anyways. Antinatalism is useless. You'd have to pass a law!
    Wheatley

That does not make antinatalism useless. People are going to have children, going to drive drunk, going to kill people and so on. I know.
  • Wheatley

But are they morally equivalent? Having children is not illegal, neither is getting drunk.
  • Antinatalist
    ↪Antinatalist
    But are they morally equivalent? Having children is not illegal, neither is getting drunk.
    Wheatley

In most countries, I think, drunk driving is illegal. Law and moral are two different things.
    On my personal moral I consider all those three things wrong, in general - there are some exceptions.
    Are they morally equivalent?
    Personally, I would not have a child if I even somehow could, for ethical reasons.
    If I have to kill a person in some "life or death" -situation, I don´t consider that wrong - at least in some circumstances.
    And if I compare the ´act of having a child´ to the ´act of killing some child murderer, child rapist´ who is not gonna stop his/her behaviour, my answer is very clear. I think killing that kind of bastard is clearly morally better than having a child.
  • Wheatley
    Personally, I would not have a child if I even somehow could, for ethical reasons
    If I have to kill a person in some "life or death" -situation, I don´t consider that wrong - at least in some circumstances.
    Antinatalist
    That's fine, but are you going to tell me not have children?

If you tell me it's unethical to have children, I don't care. :kiss:
  • Antinatalist
    Personally, I would not have a child if I even somehow could, for ethical reasons
    — Antinatalist
    That's fine, but are you going to tell me not have children?

If you tell me it's unethical to have children, I don't care. :kiss:
    Wheatley

If you have read my original text, you already know that I don´t want you - or anybody - to have children.
    You don´t care. Most people don´t. It seems very clear to me that it's quite easier to think with your balls or by the ovaries. 
  • Wheatley
    It seems very clear to me that it's quite easierAntinatalist
    I'm lazy.
  • Antinatalist
    It seems very clear to me that it's quite easier
    — Antinatalist
    I'm lazy.
    Wheatley

I briefly checked how many threads you have started in this forum, seems not so lazy. Of course "laziness" on philosophy forum, on work, hobbies is a different kind of thing than laziness to resist the ancient will to spread one's own genes into this world.
  • Wheatley
    Of course "laziness" on philosophy forum, on work, hobbies is a different kind of thing than laziness to resist the ancient will to spread one's own genes into this worldAntinatalist
    That's a good point.
  • Santiago
    I don't will consider wise to have children due to our actual circumstances as species. I think, their lives will get short and bad. We actually burn the entire planet and we aren't going to be around for a wile.
  • Antinatalist
    ↪Antinatalist I don't will consider wise to have children due to our actual circumstances as species. I think, their lives will get short and bad. We actually burn the entire planet and we aren't going to be around for a wile.Santiago

That is possible, even highly possible, perhaps.
  • Santiago
    Yes, that's a problem because in my opinion we as the mammals as we are want to make children. In my case I'm 41 and alone and yes, to don't make a family is something I don't like at all, but as I said due to our overall situation, I sincerely think to stay alone is the best I could do.
  • Cidat
    If there is no such thing as objective good or bad, then anyone is free to procreate. But otherwise, I'd say yes, to prevent suffering and cruelty in this world.
  • tim wood
    If there is no such thing as objective good or bad, then anyone is free to procreate. But otherwise, I'd say yes, to prevent suffering and cruelty in this world.Cidat

Using your criteria of good and bad, are people good or bad?
1678910Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.