• Yohan
    The front of a comic book doesn't cause the end of the comic book.
    The writer of the comic book may have come up with the whole plot all at once, or came up with the ending first and gradually worked their way to the beginning.
    Only it was drawn, probably, from start to finish, and is flipped that way.
    There doesn't seem to be a reason to think that the beginning causes the end, any more than there is a reason to think the end causes the beginning.
    Ideas start as a general flash, and then the details are gradually fleshed out.

Without causation there is no creation either. Creation means consciousness causing.
    So, we do not live in a deterministic world, nor do we exist in a world created by consciousness.

There is just us, uncaused and uncreated.

Just a stream of consciousness inspired by various things I've read. I don't hold it as the true position, but as an experimental hypothesis.
  • Yohan
    PS.
    I meant to say 'flip book'
  • Prishon
    The front of a comic book doesn't cause the end of the comic bookYohan

That depends. If it's on fire than it's probably the end. The fire causing it though.
  • Prishon
    . I don't hold it as the true position, but as an experimental hypothesis.Yohan

:ok:
  • Yohan
    That depends. If it's on fire than it's probably the end. The fire causing it thoughPrishon
    Can't argue with fire.
  • Prishon
    Many books are written backwards. Effect proceeding the cause.
  • Prishon
    By the way, the very strange tachyons move back in time. They are thought to exist when the endstage of the universe causes a new big bang.
  • Corvus
    According to Hume, causality doesn't exist. There is no impression of causality in the external world. But we form the idea of causality by habit of looking at events happening one after the other.
  • Corvus
    Many books are written backwards. Effect proceeding the cause.Prishon

:up: :100:

I write notebooks starting from the last page, and ending at the front.
  • Prishon
    I write notebooks starting from the last page, and ending at the front.Corvus

Not for being nosey but just out of curiosity: what are the notes about? Which makes that you start at the end? ☺
  • Corvus
    Not for being nosey but just out of curiosity: what are the notes about? Which makes that you start at the end? ☺Prishon

No probs. :) I scribble some of my thoughts from readings on the notebooks. ^0^
  • Pantagruel
    "Teleology is only mechanism turned upside down"

Collingwood's description of Bergson's metaphysics of creative evolution.
  • TheMadFool
    The letter combination "th" is the most common two-letter (each distinct from the other) pairing to appear in the English language. Does this mean that "t" causes "h"?
  • Corvus
    The letter combination "th" is the most common two-letter (each distinct from the other) pairing to appear in the English language. Does this mean that "t" causes "h"?TheMadFool

If there are exceptions and irregularities, then causal relations cannot be formed.
    It must be constant occurrences.
  • TheMadFool
    If there are exceptions and irregularities, then causal relations cannot be formed.
    It must be constant occurrences.
    Corvus

Therein lies the rub.
  • Corvus
    Therein lies the rub.TheMadFool
    Ay, there's the rub.
  • Prishon

Both t and h have a common cuase. The th pattern in the inner world. The world of ideas.
  • Prishon

Teleology makes ideas the cause of things happening indeed. Its not the whole view though.
  • Manuel
    I think it does, but we cannot prove it beyond doubt. This was actually Hume's position, which is sometimes interpreted as him saying that we don't know anything about causal powers. He said constant conjunction is the best we can grasp about causality, but we can't prove this. There may be more to causality that constant conjunction, but we are in ignorance as to what these extra steps involve.
  • Corvus
    All we can be sure about causality is that, it is a product of human mind, powered by imagination and intuition and reason.
  • TheMadFool
    Therein lies the rub.
    — TheMadFool
    Ay, there's the rub.
    Corvus

The problem of induction!

Both t and h have a common cuase. The th pattern in the inner world. The world of ideas.Prishon

The world of sounds, you mean.
  • Prishon
    The world of sounds, you mean.TheMadFool

Sounds ARE ideas.
  • TheMadFool
    Sounds ARE ideas.Prishon

What's the idea in the sound of pots and pans banging?
  • Prishon
    What's the idea in the sound of pots and pans banging?TheMadFool

Just LISTEN to tbem and you'll realize.
  • TheMadFool
    Just LISTEN to tbem and you'll realize.Prishon

Sorry, I'm not in the mood for games. G'day.
  • Prishon
    Sorry, I'm not in the mood for games. G'day.TheMadFool

Hey! YOU started the game...
  • Yohan
    Del?Prishon
    Eated
  • Prishon
    Del?
    — Prishon
    Eated
    Yohan

You mean you ate it?
  • Yohan
    You mean you ate it?Prishon
    It was delated for another time
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.