• Yohan
    There is a golden rule when it comes to morality. It seems somewhat universal.
    I was wondering if there is a "golden rule" for wisdom?

Maybe something like:
    1. Keep an open mind, a humble spirit, a feeling of wonder and curiosity. Remain a student. Don't think of yourself as an expert or know it all.
  • javi2541997

I guess the following papers will answer what you are asking for. Karl Popper developed this Trilemma in his book called: The Logic of Scientific Discovery.

The Friesian Trilemma
  • Prishon
    11mReplyOptionsYohan

Golden rule for true wisdom: consider your own worldview, reality, truth, or however you wanna call it, as one among many and not the one and only true one.
  • 180 Proof
    To paraphrase Confucius' / Hillel the Elder's formulation:
    Whichever idea lacks sufficient evidence, do not claim it is true or put it into practice.
    (Corollary: Whenever you lack 'skin in the game', do not play that game or advise others to play it.)
  • tim wood
    Leaves open questions concerning knowledge-based imperatives.
  • T Clark
    "golden rule" for wisdomYohan

"In science, 'fact' can only mean 'confirmed to such a degree that it would be perverse to withhold provisional assent.'" Stephen J. Gould.
  • 180 Proof
    To unlearn habits which make me miserable (foolery), and don't be an asshole. — A fool's self-overcoming mantra
  • Tom Storm
    Never get involved in a land war in Asia.
  • Wayfarer
    'Don't try to condense the meaning of the wisdom into a sentence' would be a good start.
  • Manuel

Anyone who claims to be wise, is not.

You don't look to find it, you stumble towards it.

Not much of use can be said on this topic, I don't think. Unless you get dragged down some New Age hole of which few people manage to escape. But that's my experience anyway.
  • 180 Proof
    Whatever formula or rule we come up with, the context seems to be something like this:
    'Wisdom' is, it seems, a fool's horizon, not his or her destination. Like a drunk or junky, once a fool always a fool – whether or not one actively struggles in recovery against one's condition. We're born fools. It's our congenital birthright (i.e. h. sapiens' species defect): a tendency to fail to learn from failure; our naive (blissful) ignorance of being ignorant; incorrigible complexity-death-reality denials; a suite of cognitive biases; an unconscious repertoire of acculturated paths of least (mental) effort – the varied roots of our frequent misjudgments and facile malpractices which are, more often than not, as self-immiserating as they are compulsive. 'Philosophy as a way of life' is, as I understand it, a discipline of recovery from foolery – one's unwise, or self-blinkered / defeating / immiserating, habits (vices) – through reflective inquiries and practices; to know thy self-the-fool; to be self-overcoming ... like Sisyphus.
  • TheMadFool
    Be part of the solution and not part of the problem!
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.