• Benj96
    Hypothetically speaking supposing there was an omniscient being - doesn’t have to be (a) god necessarily maybe a hyper intelligent AI or a genie or whatever but you could ask it one question - anything at all, what would it be?

I’m interested to know which is more important to people, personal questions - like will I find love, what must I do to become a millionaire, how does one become at peace or happy, what does my future hold etc to more general metaphysical questions like how did life occur, are we alone, is there any point or meaning to it all etc?
  • Ghost Light
    @Benj96
    The question I would ask is, assuming the being is not a God, is does God exist? I think it's the most important question for us to know the answer to.
  • Jack Cummins

If a God exists, the one question which I would ask is why do some people experience so much more suffering than others? Is it simply unfair? Or, is it that suffering stretches us? Suffering may lead us to draw upon inner resources and develop consciousness in a way which would not occur if our lives were more comfortable.I wonder if my question may stand independently of whether there is a God to answer it.
  • T Clark
    Hypothetically speaking supposing there was an omniscient being - doesn’t have to be (a) god necessarily maybe a hyper intelligent AI or a genie or whatever but you could ask it one question - anything at all, what would it be?Benj96

What's the capital of Malawi? Seriously, almost all the questions I have I can get answers for off the web. Ok, ok - What will be this weeks PowerBall number?
  • 180 Proof
    Explain so I can understand why you created anything at all (e.g.a universe less perfect than yourself inhabited by creatures less perfect than their universe).
  • Manuel
    Not a question per se, but give me the capacity to understand why the universe came to be and how is it possible to have innate knowledge. But in a intuitive manner, which may mean imparting on me a more sophisticated brain.
  • Cheshire
    What can I do for you?
  • Tom Storm
    Why are you such a cunt?
  • 180 Proof
    Why are you such a cunt?Tom Storm
    My very next question!
  • Manuel

Why wouldn't he be?

If we divorce the idea that God is all good, issues about him being an asshole don't arise.
  • Tom Storm
    In classical theism God is always omnibenevolent. But even if what you say is true, asking why remains pertinent. I always suspected he wasn't loved when he was a small god.
  • praxis
    Hypothetically speaking supposing there was an omniscient being - doesn’t have to be (a) god necessarily maybe a hyper intelligent AI or a genie or whatever but you could ask it one question - anything at all, what would it be?Benj96

God - Do you believe in yourself?

Super AI - How do I legally make $10M in a week?

Genie - I'll take $1B, and no tricks!
  • Manuel

Sure in classical theism it's assumed that he's all good. But then I'm a bit confused, why would it make sense to ask him/her why is he a cunt? Doesn't that assume that "bad stuff" is as normal as "good stuff".

I only ask because then we'd have to ask, why is he good? There's good in the world too.
  • Valentinus
    A lot of theology is invested in protecting whatever agent is proposed to have made stuff from facing charges of doing a bad job.

So, if I do ask for help from some divine agent, I will steer clear of any who have protection orders put out against them.
  • Tom Storm
    It was meant as a quip, not theology.
  • hypericin
    But aside from parents, anyone who creates, creates things that are less perfect, or at least lesser, than themselves.
  • Hanover

Why is this a hypothetical? People ask God questions all the time. I just don't understand why you limit them to a single question.
  • Manuel

Oh. My bad. Got carried away. :sweat:
  • 180 Proof
    "God" is not bound by human or mortal constraints since It "creates" the constraints on humans / mortals in the first place. Poor comparison, apples & oranges, category mistake. "God" is not supposed to be just "anyone".
  • Manuel

Man, the one shocking portrait of "God", one that is actually interesting, speculative, and predicted a big bang using reasonable speculation, is Mainländer's "God".

His translation is due next year, although very dark, it's going to be very interesting to read that, finally.
  • 180 Proof
    I'm looking forward to reading Mainländer finally.
  • hypericin
    My point is that it is not inexplicable for a being to create something lesser than itself.
  • 180 Proof
    Ok. So what does that point have to do with my post which you replied to?
  • TheMadFool
    Well, if we're going to reduce God to a Search Engine the likes of Google, I'd ask Google...er...God,

How did you (God) become omniscient (How? Ancient Wisdom For Modern Readers)? There has to be a way of becoming omniscient. How else is God omniscient? I could then myself become omniscient and answer my own and other's questions. It's a good strategy to have a spare wheel (stepney), right? The stepney: The benchwarmer. :lol:

The Googlification of God!
  • Yohan
    What is the right question?
  • TheMadFool
    Why are you such a cunt?Tom Storm

Why are you such a cunt?
    — Tom Storm
    My very next question!
    180 Proof

It takes one to know one! :wink:
  • TheMadFool
    sufferingJack Cummins

Hi Jack. How have you been?

As you seem to have already realized, if we take humanity as a single organism, a person let's say, it wouldn't be wrong to say we, as a whole, are in a torture chamber - horrific atrocities are being committed against humanity. I'm ignoring the part where we're doing it to ourselves which, if given some wiggle room, could be interpreted as the work of a third, as of yet unidentified, party. I guess those individuals who have been/are being/will be tortured are a fractal microcosm of the macrocosm that's humanity's own struggle to free itself from the aforesaid macabre torture chamber!

That man on the cross, being crucified, is humanity!

Jesus Christ is supposed to have died for us. They always forget to mention the torture he had to endure but that's a topic for another thread. The point is Jesus represents humanity - his pain and anguish are meant to mirror humanity's own!

That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind. — Neil Armstrong (astronaut)
  • Benj96
    good point actually haha
  • Benj96
    If a God exists, the one question which I would ask is why do some people experience so much more suffering than others? Is it simply unfair? Or, is it that suffering stretches us? Suffering may lead us to draw upon inner resources and develop consciousness in a way which would not occur if our lives were more comfortable.Jack Cummins

Well I’m no authority on this but from my experience firstly suffering has to exist. If it didn’t exist neither would it’s opposite. You cannot know all the positive emotions without an antithesis/ an opposite.

As for who is suffering more? It’s relative I would imagine. Something that is gruelling and horrible for one person may not necessarily be the case for another. Some people are accustomed to a certain level of discomfort or struggle which is normal for them and they have adapted to it. Or found solace in other ways which make it tolerable for them where it would otherwise be intolerable for another.

If you suffer a lot more than someone else your ability to take delight in small victories and strokes of fortune is likely more emphasised than someone who is used to having everything go perfectly for them.
    You may be starving and find getting fresh drinkable water every day a great difficulty but if this is all you’ve ever known you may not find it a source of suffering but a part of daily life. You may form very close and supportive relationships with others through their shared struggle. You may laugh, you may feel apart of a community whilst a very privileged and individualistic first world individual may be chronically bored, dissatisfied unchallenged or miserable and suffering depression and loneliness.

People may look at you with pity that you won’t understand it as such.

A lot of our source of suffering is a fear surrounds premature death. But in some philosophies/ spiritual views death is not seen as something awful and to be avoided at all cost but a simple, natural and necessary part of the cycle of life. And you cannot suffer if you are not living. Death in some ways is merciful.

A long life does not a good one make. A brief existence full of love and meaning could be better than a long pointless one. Consider those who believe in multiple lives, for them this life may be crap but it is only one of many, and in that way they are relieved and seek comfort in transfiguration when they die.
  • Benj96
    Seriously, almost all the questions I have I can get answers for off the web.T Clark

I find it hard to believe the web has even close to all the answers. For if it did life would not be as we know it now. It’s easy to think that the present is the most sophisticated level of knowledge we can possess...but 10,000 BC was at one stage the present. The world and status quo has changed massively since then but some important questions have and still do elude us.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.