• Wayfarer
    Algorithms are also not patterns.
    — Wayfarer

"Algorithm design refers to a method or a mathematical process for problem-solving and engineering algorithms. The design of algorithms is part of many solution theories of operation research, such as dynamic programming and divide-and-conquer. Techniques for designing and implementing algorithm designs are also called algorithm design patterns,[42] with examples including the template method pattern and the decorator pattern."
    Janus

with examples includingJanus

I need say no more.

The point about pattern is repetition. Ripples in sands, banded patterns on animals, crystals form patterns. But a sentence such as this is not a pattern. The alphabet is not a pattern of characters, it could be arranged in any random sequence and still have the same basic meaning. If you say that any arrangement of anything is a pattern, then sure, at the cost of the definition being so broad as to be meaningless.
  • Janus
    You mean you can't think of anything more to say in defence of your claim that algorithms are not patterns?
  • Wayfarer
    I mean, the example you have given doesn't prove your point. That there are 'examples' of algorithm design techniques that refer to patterns, doesn't show that algorithms are simply patterns as such. An algorithm is 'a process or set of rules to be followed in calculations or other problem-solving operations, especially by a computer.' You can write an algorithm to generate patterns - I imagine that is computer science 101. But it doesn't prove your point.
  • Wayfarer
    Here is a pattern:

abc abd abe abf abg abh

That could be repeated indefinitely, and it is very easy to identify it as 'a pattern'. But it's also meaningless. Whereas a simple sentence, like this one, has no regular pattern of characters whatever. Sure, there are 'patterns of speech' in the metaphorical sense but as already stated, you can't infer meaning from the pattern. That is how encryption works.

(Although I might concede that this argument is part of a pattern. :roll: )
  • Corvus
    I used to think pattern was for images and forms, not for the words or meanings.
  • Corvus
    For me, philosophy begins with epistemology. Subjectivism and metaphysics are sophistry, not philosophy.counterpunch

I feel that they are all important part of Philosophy. Epistemology without metaphysics would be meaningless. Objectivism doesn't exist without subjects.
  • Wayfarer
    Objectivism doesn't exist without subjects.Corvus

:up: Which is the very point that is left out most of the time.
  • Corvus
    Which is the very point that is left out most of the time.Wayfarer

:fire: :fire:
  • Mww
    denial of the difference between reason and sensation. I am somewhat flabbergasted that this is something that has to be argued for.Wayfarer

Yeah.....sad commentary, highlighted from the essay, “...high-powered narrowing of the human mind...”

Although I might concede that this argument is part of a pattern.Wayfarer

(Chuckles to self)
  • counterpunch
    I feel that they are all important part of Philosophy. Epistemology without metaphysics would be meaningless. Objectivism doesn't exist without subjects.Corvus

The subject cannot exist but in a rightful relation to objective reality. It follows from the design of DNA, to the physiology of organisms, to the behaviours of animals - that the surviving organism must exhibit rightness to reality to survive. It's why bird's build nests before they lay eggs, why organisms appear designed, and designed to fit into a complex environment. This then sets a premium on the subjects knowledge of objective reality, over even, knowledge of self revealed via contemplations upon the nature of being.
  • Corvus
    This then sets a premium on the subjects knowledge of objective reality, over even, knowledge of self revealed via contemplations upon the nature of being.counterpunch

But if you didn't exist, how would it matter to you? How could you have known it, or even written that post?
  • Janus
    I mean, the example you have given doesn't prove your point. That there are 'examples' of algorithm design techniques that refer to patterns, doesn't show that algorithms are simply patterns as such. An algorithm is 'a process or set of rules to be followed in calculations or other problem-solving operations, especially by a computer.' You can write an algorithm to generate patterns - I imagine that is computer science 101. But it doesn't prove your point.Wayfarer

All sentences are patterns. Take that sentence and produce a different pattern. Sentences patterns all are. Or, Lla secnetnes era snrettap. Those are still close enough to be decipherable, But consider:
    Lasl teen scen raep teat snr; not so easy to decipher that pattern, eh?

Algorthms are sets of ordered instructions, just like sentences. The difference being that if you change the arrangement, the pattern, of the instructions the algorithm will not work at all.
  • Janus
    (Although I might concede that this argument is part of a pattern. :roll: )Wayfarer

You don't seem to be able to accept that others disagree with you without imputing lack of comprehension or bad faith on their part. You need an actual argument that is cogent to attempt to refute other views or show that they are inadequate; flippant comments like the above do nothing more than make you like you are are not really interested in discussion at all.
  • counterpunch
    But if you didn't exist, how would it matter to you? How would you have known it, or even written that post?Corvus

It matters to me now, while I exist - that I belong(ed) to a species with a future. I would find my existence intolerably masturbatory were there not the prospect of genetic, intellectual and economic legacy. Even while I'm likely to die before society faces the consequences of my failure to even try for a better future; in silence I'd be burdened by guilt and self loathing I need not suffer if it is true that technology applied now, could provide for a long term future. It matters that I try to exist; and that's why I wrote the post.

Did I answer your question? I'm not quite sure I understood it.
  • Wayfarer
    All sentences are patterns.Janus

Sentences are collections of symbols ordered according to syntactical and semantic rules. Patterns have a repeating structure. Semantics, semiotics, grammatical structures, are not repeating structures. Sure, linguists and grammarians can detect patterns in language, but that still doesn't mean that sentences are patterns. Repeating a falsehood does not endow it with truth.

Patterns obviously exist and are fundamental to nature in some sense. I'm not denying that. But there's more to language and reason than can be explained in terms of pattern recognition. It is simple-minded reductionism.
  • Wayfarer
    Actually a couple of more examples. The sequence of natural numbers is a pattern, obviously - take each number, add one. The alphabet is not a pattern, it is arranged purely by convention. It could be completely re-ordered and it would make no difference, in that all letters would still be represented by it (and leaving aside the problem of re-organising alphabetical order all over the place.)

Second point - when some mathematicians claimed to discern a pattern of prime numbers, it made news. And why?

A clear rule determines exactly what makes a prime: it’s a whole number that can’t be exactly divided by anything except 1 and itself. But there’s no discernable pattern in the occurrence of the primes. Beyond the obvious — after the numbers 2 and 5, primes can’t be even or end in 5 — there seems to be little structure that can help to predict where the next prime will occur.

Read the article to find out why these particular researchers declared that they found 'a strange pattern' - one that other researchers don't necessarily agree exists!

And yet, anyone here will understand what the concept of prime is. And it's a concept - not a pattern.

That is definitely my last word on this subject.
  • Corvus
    It matters that I try to exist; and that's why I wrote the post.counterpunch

There is an undeniable evidence that you exist.

Did I answer your question? I'm not quite sure I understood it.counterpunch

Sure. You proved subjectivism is not always sophistry.
  • Janus
    Patterns have a repeating structure.Wayfarer

This is where your confusion lies: some patterns have repeating structure.

The word has a wide range of uses. From the Cambridge Online Dictionary:

Pattern
    noun
    uk
    /ˈpæt.ən/ us
    /ˈpæt̬.ɚn/
    pattern noun (WAY)
    B2 [ C ]
    a particular way in which something is done, is organized, or happens:
    The pattern of family life has been changing over recent years.
    A pattern is beginning to emerge from our analysis of the accident data.
    In this type of mental illness, the usual pattern is bouts of depression alternating with elation.
    Many behaviour(al) patterns have been identified in the chimp colony.
    More examples

Recent months have seen a pattern of tit-for-tat killings between the two sides.
    It is difficult to discern any pattern in these figures.
    Damage to the ozone layer has caused a change in weather patterns.
    Changing patterns of agriculture are threatening the countryside.
    Genetic engineers should not be allowed to play God, interfering with the basic patterns of Nature.

SMART Vocabulary: related words and phrases

Want to learn more?

Improve your vocabulary with English Vocabulary in Use from Cambridge.
    Learn the words you need to communicate with confidence.
    pattern noun (ARRANGEMENT)
    B1 [ C ]
    any regularly repeated arrangement, especially a design made from repeated lines, shapes, or colours on a surface:
    Look, the frost has made a beautiful pattern on the window.
    The curtains had a floral pattern.
    picture of pattern
    Stefan Cristian Cioata/Moment/GettyImages
    More examples
    pattern noun (EXAMPLE)
    [ C usually singular ]
    something that is used as an example, especially to copy:
    The design is so good it's sure to set the pattern for many others.
    pattern noun (DRAWING)
    B2 [ C ]
    a drawing or shape used to show how to make something:
    a knitting pattern
    a dress pattern
    Cut out all of the pieces from the paper pattern and pin them on the cloth.

ClarkandCompany/iStock/Getty Images Plus/GettyImages
    pattern noun (PIECE)
    [ C ]
    a small piece of cloth or paper taken from a usual-sized piece and used to show what it looks like:
    a pattern book
    Synonym
    sample (SMALL AMOUNT)
    pattern
    adjective [ before noun ]
    used in compounds to refer to the way in which a particular type of hair loss occurs, affecting mainly the top and front of the head:
    50% of men over age 50 experience some kind of male pattern baldness.
    Female-pattern hair loss, which is caused by genetic and hormonal factors, is the most common type of hair loss in women.
    (Definition of pattern from the Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary & Thesaurus © Cambridge University Press)
    pattern | American Dictionary
    pattern
    noun [ C ]
    us
    /ˈpæt̬·ərn/
    pattern noun [C] (WAY)
    a particular way in which something is done or organized, or in which something happens:
    Our weather pattern comes from the northwest.
    A whole variety of behavior patterns affect infants.
    pattern noun [C] (SHAPES)
    a regular arrangement of lines, shapes, or colors:
    A human fingerprint can be viewed as a geometric pattern.
    A pattern is also a design or set of shapes that show how to make something:
    a dress pattern
    patterned
    adjective us
    /ˈpæt̬·ərnd/
    a rose and black patterned skirt
    (Definition of pattern from the Cambridge Academic Content Dictionary © Cambridge University Press)
    pattern | Business English
    pattern
    noun
    uk
    /ˈpætən/ us
    [ C ]
    a particular way in which something usually happens or is done:
    a pattern of sth A pattern of sluggish consumer demand made growth targets impossibly high.
    a pattern emerges A pattern is emerging of a steady reduction in costs and increased sales.
    establish/fall into/follow a pattern The decision follows a pattern that has become increasingly common in the food industry.
    identify/reveal/show a pattern An examination of official documents shows a pattern of construction cost overruns.
    a changing/different/similar pattern changing patterns of employment
    a consumption/growth/spending pattern High joblessness and changing consumption patterns will result in moderate sales.
    Organizations must address the needs of workers with diverse career patterns and goals.
    [ C ]
    a way of doing something that other people, organizations, etc. can copy:
    set the pattern for sth The talks have set the pattern for trying to solve problems within the industry.
    a holding pattern
    a situation where there is little activity or change, and people are not doing business, spending money, etc. because they cannot decide what to do next:
    be in/go into a holding pattern Several deals went into an immediate holding pattern after the crisis.
    pattern
    adjective [ before noun ]
    HR
    uk
    /ˈpætən/ us
    used to describe an agreement based on similar agreements with other companies:
    a pattern agreement/contract The contract was viewed by bargainers as a pattern agreement to be used in negotiations with the car company.
    The traditional pattern bargaining that went on in the auto industry has gone.
    pattern
    verb [ T ]
    uk
    /ˈpætən/ us
    be patterned after/on sth
    to be copied from something or to be very similar to something:
    The facility will employ 150 people and be patterned after the steel fastener facility in Saint Joe, Indiana.
    (Definition of pattern from the Cambridge Business English Dictionary © Cambridge University Press)
    Examples of pattern
    pattern
    Disaggregation of household results by sources of income and expenditure patterns permits a fairly detailed analysis of likely changes in poverty.
    From the Cambridge English Corpus
    For the arterial trunks, this is an easy matter, since the pattern of branching permits ready distinction of an aorta from a pulmonary trunk.
    More examples
    These examples are from corpora and from sources on the web. Any opinions in the examples do not represent the opinion of the Cambridge Dictionary editors or of Cambridge University Press or its licensors.
    Collocations with pattern
    pattern

These are words often used in combination with pattern.

Click on a collocation to see more examples of it.
    apparent pattern
    The same apparent pattern of impairment can be produced by damage to different loci.

basic pattern
    The basic pattern is alternating odd-syllable stress, with the primary stress falling word-initially.

behavioural pattern
    In the absence of any other knowledge we should design for this behavioural pattern.
  • counterpunch
    There is an undeniable evidence that you exist.Corvus

It's not undeniable though, that's the point. I could be a figment of your imagination for all you know. From your perspective, I'm just someone passing by in a crowd unnoticed, and the wild thing is, you're the same to me - a passer by in my movie, of which I'm the star.

That so, nonetheless, it seems that like me, other people are able to establish valid knowledge of reality with a rationale, and logic independent of both our subjectively conceived and centred experiences. That shared valid understanding of reality is logically prior to our individual experience. It's the difference between statistics and anecdotes.
  • Janus
    But there's more to language and reason than can be explained in terms of pattern recognition. It is simple-minded reductionism.Wayfarer

I haven't said there isn't more to language and reason; obviously there is a semantic element too, which is encoded in the arrangement or patterned order of the symbols, but which is obviously not merely the pattern, but is also the response the pattern evokes.
  • Olivier5
    they don't have substantive existenceJanus

All the same, no need to talk about things so flicking and impermanent.
  • Olivier5
    All that needs to be borne in mind is that both vision and thought are information processingTheMadFool

The senses are about acquiring information from the world. Do you disagree?
  • Corvus
    It's not undeniable though, that's the point. I could be a figment of your imagination for all you know. From your perspective, I'm just someone passing by in a crowd unnoticed, and the wild thing is, you're the same to me - a passer by in my movie, of which I'm the star.counterpunch

If you are doubting about Existence, I think you are practicing Metaphysics.

That so, nonetheless, it seems that like me, other people are able to establish valid knowledge of reality with a rationale, and logic independent of both our subjectively conceived and centred experiences. That shared valid understanding of reality is logically prior to our individual experience. It's the difference between statistics and anecdotes.counterpunch

Objectivism is just multiple agreed subjectivism.
1234Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.