• Mystic
    Skepticism and dialects seem to come from a lack of certainty. A lack of common sense. From fear. From low self esteem. Distrust of one's self.
    I think most serious philosophical questions are based on this.
    How else to explain doubting the senses,solipsism,descartes demon etc,etc.
  • skyblack
    :-)

where is @Foghorn ?
  • Tom Storm
    How else to explain doubting the senses, solipsism, descartes demon etc,etc.Mystic

Not sure you have made a strong case. I think you could equally argue philosophical doubt (as distinct from self doubt) emerges from the human arrogance to know all there is and be in control of all things.

Humans are meaning making creatures, we are bound to speculate endlessly in order to shore up our grip on reality.
  • Mystic
    @Tom Storm Well,low self esteem can lead to some trying to know and control everything,AKA arrogance. ( an impossible and delusional task!)
    I don't think we have to endlessly speculate,unless one is a philosopher with low self-esteem!
    Conviction/truth comes from positive self esteem.
  • skyblack
    . I think you could equally argue philosophical doubt (as distinct from self doubt) emerges from the human arrogance to know all there is and be in control of all thingsTom Storm

Then arrogance is stupidity (un-intelligent), isn't it? Rather silly and worthless, considering it has no legs to stand on. It isn't backed by anything other than delusions of grandeur.

If philosophical doubt is a measure then it begins and ends in just one observation, one doesn't know anything, except that one is and objective world is. The latter is still debatable and subject to be questioned. The rest of the philosophical bickering can be considered speculations in the innocent, but may have other malicious reasons in the conflict mongers.

Therefore, getting off the horse, and approaching the subject matter with some humility is the first sign of intelligence. That is if the inquirer is serious and sincere. The rest is just...well...i better not say it in words..
  • 180 Proof
    My self-esteem is skeptical of the OP for its number of unclear terms and unwarranted assumptions.

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies. — Human, All-Too-Human
  • DingoJones

I think you are confusing low self esteem with humility. Doubting oneself and ones perspective is good philosophy, a necessary part of looking at things from different points of view which is essential to philosophy.
  • Mystic
    @180 Proof Your "self esteem" consists of quoting nietzeche as an authority!?
    Bravo!
  • Mystic
    @DingoJones It's extremely rare to find a philosopher with "humility". Give me an example?
  • 180 Proof
    "Authority"? Now your low self-esteem is showing (even moreso than from your OP).
  • Mystic
    @180 Proof Go to sleep mate. You are flapping your gums only.
  • 180 Proof
    You began this thread by breaking wind, mate, just calling you out. Dialectics & skepticism frighten you. Why is that?
  • Mystic
    @180 Proof A perfect example of gaslighting and bullshitting.
    Turn your dialectical skepticism on your own provisional certainty!!!
    Provisional certainty! Lol!
  • Tom Storm
    Then arrogance is stupidity (un-intelligent), isn't it? Rather silly and worthless, considering it has no legs to stand on. It isn't backed by anything other than delusions of grandeur.skyblack

I am not committed that that view I simply put it as an alternative to what the OP provided us. It seems to me that he OP's thesis could go in several directions. Maybe what I should have said is that philosophical questions are propelled by human confidence that truth can be identified.
  • Mystic
    @Tom Storm Truth CAN be identified? So we don't have access to innate truths? Only philosophical questioning determines truth?
    I like food. Do I need philosophy to determine if this is true!
  • skyblack
    I am not committed that that view I simply put it as an alternative to what the OP provided us. It seems to me that he OP's thesis could go in several directions. Maybe what I should have said is that philosophical questions are propelled by human confidence that truth can be identified.Tom Storm

Well, one can backtrack all they want after proposing what seems like a rebuttal.

" Maybe what I should have said is that philosophical questions are propelled by human confidence that truth can be identified."

Then that would be a serious error. It's doubt and skepticism that propels a philosophical inquiry. Not confidence, So......getting off the horse would seem an intelligent action.
  • Tom Storm
    :roll:

I was making the point that what the OP said can go in many directions. The very opposite of a self-esteem problem is just as likely. I gave two versions of an alternative. Neither of which I am committed too.
  • skyblack
    I was making the point that what the OP said can go in many directions. The very opposite of a self-esteem problem is just as likely. I gave two versions of an alternative. Neither of which I am committed too.Tom Storm

My comments were based on what was said. I don't care what any person is committed to or believes in. Hope this clarifies. Though thanks for explaining.
  • Tom Storm
    Truth CAN be identified? So we don't have access to innate truths? Only philosophical questioning determines truth?
    I like food. Do I need philosophy to determine if this is true!
    Mystic

Philosophy generally struggles to identify what truth is. Hence the various theories of truth.

I have argued many times that philosophy doesn't matter much in ordinary life. So what?
  • Mystic
    @Tom Storm That's because philosophers have low self esteem or have been damaged. How else to explain their theories having little relation to normal life according to you?
  • skyblack
    @Tom Storm

I just want to say something real quick and end. When you give rebuttals (though you call it "alternatives") , it affects the person's credibility if they switch and say "oh, i was just giving some alternatives, these aren't my rebuttals". Something to think about if you wish.
  • DingoJones

Well it depends on how you define philosopher but the humility of which I speak is a person accepting they do not know and then trying to figure it out (humility) as opposed to a person who thinks they already know and then trying to figure out how to support that conclusion. (Opposite of humility).
  • Tom Storm
    Quantum mechanics has no bearing on my life either but it sure matters. Lot's of things don't matter to a person's quotidian life. Doesn't make those subjects irrelevant.
  • 180 Proof
    :lol: Ah yeah, another Dunning-Kruger troll. Okay, kid, here's a cookie – you get the last word. :point:
  • Tom Storm
    I just want to say something really quick and end. When you give rebuttals (though you call it "alternatives") , it affects the person's credibility if they switch ans say "oh, i was just giving some alternatives, these aren't my rebuttals". Something to think about if you wish.skyblack

You're welcome to think that. I disagree totally. What we often do here is explore propositions and how likely they are. Sometimes the best way to demonstrate that a proposition is inadequate is to show how an alternative would fit just as well. You do not have to agree with the alternative to use it. It does its job by demonstrating that the argument made by the other person is far from certain.
  • Jack Cummins

I think that in trying to see philosophy questions as stemming from fear, you are missing how curiosity and wondering are essential to human life. You make it seem as if the ideal is to be a happy robot, who doesn't ask questions. Philosophy and questioning goes back to ancient times, and is central to the evolution of human life.
  • skyblack
    I think that in trying to see philosophy questions as stemming from fear, you are missing how curiosity and wondering are essential to human life. You make it seem as if the ideal is to be a happy robot, who doesn't ask questions. Philosophy and questioning goes back to ancient times, and is central to the evolution of human life.Jack Cummins

I don't think OP is saying that one shouldn't question but his/her point, as far as i understand, is the approach of such questioning. I think OP is questioning the approach. Maybe he/she could have phrased the OP better.

And yes. ideally, the idea is a state where no questions or answers remain. The premise of all these questioning is to come to that, otherwise one will be considered off the hinges if they keep on questioning. And yes, a joyous life seems to be a worthwhile endeavor.
  • Mww

What’s a proper dialectician to do, with so little to work with.

Place has become a farging metaphysical kindergarten lately, I swear.
  • Manuel
    "Philosophy" is a word. Lack of self esteem are also words.

Therefore, everything is made of words, deep down.
  • 180 Proof
    Moonlighting as a rodeo clown does come in handy when the dialectical pickings are so slim in this agora full with bulls***.
  • counterpunch
    Is self esteem a lack of philosophical reflection?
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment