• Trinidad
    @baker If they can do so without philosophy,what does that say about philosophers? Looks like the OP is correct.
  • Apollodorus
    I see a lot of philosophers jumping down rabbit holes and coming to no conclusions. Just look at this forum and the history of philosophy.Trinidad

Yes. Philosophers and would-be philosophers. Some of them seem to jump down rabbit holes and go so far down that they never come back up.

So, what made you join this forum, if you don't mind my asking?
  • baker
    As already noted by me, several times. Unfortunately, not everyone is so lucky to be blessed with abundant life-affirming confidence, and those who are are unwilling or unable to teach it.
  • Trinidad
    @Apollodorus I have a history of interest
    in religion and its derivatives,philosophy and science.
    Its very interesting to study the motivations and ideologies that people produce.
    I'm also very aware of the current religion science debates and i find these intriguing as well.
  • Trinidad
    @baker Why should it be luck?
    It can't be taught. But like Buddha nature it can be nurtured back to full power. Meditation and sports helps a lot.
  • Apollodorus

Very interesting. I happen to have similar interests myself, though I am trying to keep an open mind and not go down too many rabbit holes, at least not all at once.

So, is people's motivation to produce and engage in religion that is your main area of interest or religion itself?
  • Trinidad
    @Apollodorus That's good we have that in common.
    I'm interested in both,the psychology of religion/science/philosophy and religion itself.
    I was brought up Muslim. Have studied almost every other religion,with special emphasis on buddhism and gnosticism.
    How about yourself?
  • baker
    Why should it be luck?Trinidad
    Because clearly, some people have it, and some don't, from early on in life.

It can't be taught.
    Then how did those who have it, got it?

But like Buddha nature it can be nurtured back to full power.
    "Buddha nature"??

Meditation and sports helps a lot.
    That's awfully general. "Meditation"???
  • Trinidad
    @baker Confidence is not luck.
    With confident people it is their intrinsic nature,hence my Buddha nature comment.
    Meditation and sports. General so you can choose your own type.
  • baker
    Confidence is not luck.
    With confident people it is their intrinsic nature,
    Trinidad
    Hence, luck.

Meditation and sports. General so you can choose your own type.
    That's like saying that any type of meditation and any type of sports increase one's self-confidence.
    They do not.
  • Trinidad
    @baker It's not luck if you don't believe in evolution,which I don't.
    No,it's like saying try any of the various sports or meditation that suits you. I have seen them increase confidence. Give them a fair shake.
  • Apollodorus

I'm quite intrigued by how people think so I like reading religion, philosophy and psychology. I think Platonism is closest to Christianity and the most influential system in western philosophy in general, so I would say this is my main area of interest, though I tend to find other traditions interesting too. Do you classify Buddhism as a religion?
  • Trinidad
    @Apollodorus Platonism is the definately the most influential system in Western philosophy and influenced the church a lot. I've read all of plato. But I think his real message was a kind of kabbalist hierarchy. The timaeus is a much neglected text of his on this site.
    I classify buddhism as a religion to many,and a philosophy to others.
  • Trinidad
    @baker Go and play some tennis or something! Don't mope around!
  • skyblack
    @Trinidad

Or mop-ping might also work, no?
  • Apollodorus
    But I think his real message was a kind of kabbalist hierarchy. The timaeus is a much neglected text of his on this site.Trinidad

I tend to see the hierarchy as Platonic and the Kabbalah as influenced by Platonism, possibly via Islamic philosophy and Sufism.

But I agree that there doesn't seem to be much interest in Platonism here and the few threads started by some tend to prefer a materialist and atheist interpretation of Platonic dialogues.
  • Trinidad
    @skyblack You understand me well brother!
  • skyblack
    @Trinidad

Activity does help in clearing some of that intellectual funk.
  • Trinidad
    @Apollodorus I think the big thing is platonism can be used for good or evil. The same with kaabalah.
    Sufism is very interesting.
    It's amazing to me that anyone could regard plato as a materialist. Neo platonism is essentially a continuation and addition to platonism. The dialogues are for the novice students and to help debating prowess.
  • Trinidad
    @skyblack That is 100% true.
  • Apollodorus
    It's amazing to me that anyone could regard plato as a materialist.Trinidad

You're in the right place then.

Neo platonism is essentially a continuation and addition to platonism. The dialogues are for the novice students and to help debating prowess.Trinidad

"Neo-Platonism" is a modern term. Platonists tend to see their philosophy as one system with different currents.
  • Trinidad
    @Apollodorus Agreed. I'm stating that neoplatonism and its concept of the One,and the merger with the one are what plato intended,rather than the obsession with forms or the dialogues many plato scholars have.
    Plato was a thoroughly spiritual and political man acquainted with the mysteries. He is not just the academic some people make him out to be.
  • Apollodorus
    I'm stating that neoplatonism and its concept of the One,and the merger with the one are what plato intended,rather than the obsession with forms or the dialogues many plato scholars have.Trinidad

What do you think of the Euthyphro discussion?

https://thephilosophyforum.com/discussion/11182/euthyphro
  • Trinidad
    @Apollodorus I think in this dialogue plato is trying to show how monotheism is the correct way. His use of piety as a form,and the forms ultimately leads to the ultimate form of the good,which is monotheism.
    The actual dilemma only applies to an omnibenevolent omnipotent god,and I don't think the Greeks saw divinity in this way. Neither did plato. The dilemma does destroy the literal concept of an omnibenevolent god,but not the concept of divinity itself.
    Like most of his dialogues this is for novices. The real stuff is the timaeus,the Republic,the laws and the unpublished material elucidated by plotinus et Al.
    Platos work has an exoteric and esoteric dimension.
    Those who think plato was a pure rationalist or dialectition ignore his political and religious goals and his aqaintance with the mysteries.
  • Trinidad
    @Apollodorus I think your summation on the tenth page of the thread is excellent. I would just add that assistance
    of the work of the divine is implementation of divine rule. Platos political agenda.
    And the final part is merging with the divine,or recognising oneself as divine.
  • Apollodorus

Thanks for that. I think I have included that in the comment I just posted now.
  • Trinidad
    @Apollodorus Yours is a commendable use of platonism.
12345Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet