• deleteduserax
    I think evil involves a pathological condition
  • Apollodorus
    Most people see themselves as good. This is just not the case. I think we are born with both potentials but tilt towards evil. Anything too add?
    We suppress our dark side too fit into society. I believe good takes work.
    Caleb Mercado

Well, animals seem to get along just fine. Some "less evolved" cultures where materialism is not as pronounced as in "more evolved" ones seem to be doing OK too.

So, I'm not sure we "tilt towards evil" naturally. Maybe it tends to happen in certain environments and circumstances more than in others.

But in general, we want good for ourselves and in most cases we feel good when we do good for others. Evil seems to be an aberration that society needs to suppress in order to protect itself.
  • spirit-salamander
    Most people see themselves as good. This is just not the case. I think we are born with both potentials but tilt towards evil. Anything too add?
    We suppress our dark side too fit into society. I believe good takes work.
    Caleb Mercado

I agree with you, and two quotes come to mind:

"68. “I did that,” says my memory. “I could not have done that,” says my pride, and remains inexorable. Eventually—the memory yields." (Nietzsche, Friedrich. Beyond Good and Evil)

"The prayer: ‘lead me not into temptation’ means ‘do not let me see who I am’." (Arthur Schopenhauer - The World as Will and Representation: Volume 1)

I also think that even the kindest and most even-tempered person has the potential for mean-spiritedness and cruelty, and to take pleasure in it.

But evil could become weaker and weaker with each generation.
  • deleteduserax
    that's the accurate word, an aberration
  • Apollodorus
    that's the accurate word, an aberrationAlexandros

In the old days behavioral aberrations were judged in terms of ethics. Nowadays political correctness tends to provide the standard of reference in determining what does or does not constitute aberration. As society and culture become more and more politicized, clear distinctions between what is ethically right or wrong, or good and evil, become blurred.
  • bert1
    Realisations of my own evil were for me a relief. Sometimes an awakening. Generally a positive experience. Catching glimpses of my own pretentious foolishness is far worse. Cunt or wanker? I'd rather be a cunt I think, but I fear I may be both.
  • unenlightened
    Judgement is violence. Especially self judgement. We teach it and build society around it, but it is not necessary.

https://thephilosophyforum.com/discussion/10719/non-violent-communication

Female masturbation is a wondrous, joyful, beautiful thing, and so are you.
  • Anand-Haqq

. There is no good and there is no evil ...

. There are human beings ... Whose nature is in TAO ...

. Those who are aware of it are wise beings ...

. Those who are not ... are the ignorants ... they may be knowledgeable ... they may have theories about Life ... but they don't have Life ...

. The wise Lives ... The ignorant pretends to Live ...
  • bert1
    That's all very true Un. I'm not condemning myself in a particularly self-hatey way I don't think, and I don't mean to advocate that. I should try being a bit more positive occasionally. Historically when I've thought very positive things about myself I tend to immediately humiliate myself, fall into holes, step on rakes, upset women, and generally fuck everything up. So the negativity is a method of self-regulation a bit.
  • unenlightened
    Yeah I've upset a few rakes and stepped on some women in my time too.

How fragile we are!
  • hope
    We suppress our dark side too fit into society. I believe good takes work.Caleb Mercado

You suppress what society has brainwashed you into thinking is bad so you can avoid shame.

Solution is to change your mind about it and accept it as good.

Example of this would be feminist brainwashing men into thinking their masculinity is toxic.

Once you accept it as good inside yourself then the external insults will have no effect.

Do it and make god proud. Show the world what the universe created!
  • hope
    noticing my mistakes.Valentinus

The universe doesn't make mistakes. and nothing exists except the universe.
  • hope
    I realized i was evil trough introspection and fantasy.Caleb Mercado

Forget being good. Work on becoming whole.
  • kudos
    In my mind, there will always be good. Good and evil both imply an abstract entity and some quality with which it reveals something about itself in a relation. But when we say ‘good’ in the common sense, we try and bridge the gap between our individuality and an outside objectivity. The relation takes the form of a symbolic appeal rather than an observed quality.

So you can see why many previous comments have questioned the validity of ‘good’ usage on the internet, where our identity is temporarily veiled by a mask of anonymity and the entities and interests we represent are implicit rather than explicit. For me it wouldn’t be surprising if you were to meet some of them in person that they would not surprise you with the exactitude of what they consider the right and proper way.
  • Mikie
    Most people see themselves as good. This is just not the case. I think we are born with both potentials but tilt towards evil. Anything too add?Caleb Mercado

Yes: what is meant by “good” and “evil”?

Before that’s answered, we’re talking passed each other.
  • Josh Alfred
    Good and evil, like most other things, are potentials.

When a being is developed with conditioning that make him good he is good, when conditioned to do evil, he is evil. Once you reach a certain age in development, maturity, you are by the states ruling, free to act on these potentials. As reason befits them, so they act.

Some people's goodness is stronger than their evil side, and visa versa.

There is also genetics to consider, but I am a philosopher not a geneticist. I can only claim that some people are more prone to act certain ways, behave, more or less towards moral degrees, because of their genetics. .

Having a Moral Sense is very important. Since most religions teach of doing good and being good, religious culture offers good people

To act for good in and of itself is another step up the chain of moral notation..
  • Benj96

I don’t believe one can choose unless they taste both goodness and evil. I myself am acutely aware of my worst and most toxic behaviour. It makes me unsettled and ashamed to consider it. Sad in fact. Even disgusted. However without fully embracing and recognising this never ending potential to be “the worst” could I ever steer clear of it.

If something is hidden from you by yourself, if you are dishonest with yourself, if you pretend that you could never possibly be so terrible, that is the exact moment when you are at most risk of behaving in such a way. No one is infallible. Those who believe they cannot be at fault have no capacity to correct themselves for the better.

This is why self- reflection and contemplation plays such a huge role in all religions as well as meditation, learning and self awareness.

Consider a psychopath, their inability to empathise with another means they simply cannot ever admit fault. Guilt is not a feature of their emotional environment. Therefore it’s open season on all behaviours which can meet a personal goal - manipulation, back-stabbing, exploitation etc.
  • deletedmemberrw
    Most people see themselves as good. This is just not the case. I think we are born with both potentials but tilt towards evil. Anything too add?Caleb Mercado

We live in a society that rewards psychopathy, morally bankrupt people. The gooder you are in this society, the worse off you'll be. That's the game. In general it's a cruel reality we're in, full of suffering, each of us contributes to one way or the other. So yes, most of the "good" people are actually bad when you take into account many many things.
  • Outlander
    We live in a society that rewards psychopathy, morally bankrupt people.RAW

A society? Try a world. It was much worse before, at least now people have to at least pretend to follow accountability, morality, social contract(s), etc. Democratically elected leaders. A macabre game of hot potato, where all the chefs know each other.

The gooder you are in this society, the worse off you'll be. That's the game.RAW

The more naive you are in this society, the worse off you'll be. Which fools far too often equate with innocence. Which as the songs go, can never last.. Naturally very few learn to walk the line and balance between opposing concepts, to gaze into the abyss without having it gaze into you, mostly because everybody's life is different and one man's reluctance to trust or distrust can and often is the difference between wealth, poverty, happiness, despair, and yes even life and death. That may be the game, but not everyone wants to play it. This is why people create groups of mutual benefit. Clubs, nations, religions, cults, what have you.

In general it's a cruel reality we're in, full of suffering.RAW

I've seen worse.

So yes, most of the "good" people are actually bad when you take into account many many things.RAW

Sure, and the light in my room distracts me from true peace and contemplation by ever so annoyingly illuminating the contents of said room. Therefore, the light is actually the dark when absolutely no one takes into account anything.
  • deletedmemberrw
    I've seen worse.Outlander

:-) You've been outside the torture chamber, witnessed even worse?
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.