• Cobra

The questions are information-seeking; I am seeking your opinion on how you evaluate, think through and address the dilemmas through a series of questions. That's all philosophy is. There are no right/wrong answers.

And I don't personally care about fat people or Hitler. I am just talking and making convo on this topic; since there seems to be some arbitrariness to the whole "hate" thing.

It seems meaningful to make a distinction.
  • Cobra
    Cobra I’m always skeptical about assigning moral value to how someone reacts. People can hardly choose to hate or not hate. It’s like assigning moral value to eating, or taking a piss. You can’t very well help it.

When people say “hate is bad” I don’t think it is intended as moral condemnation but rather practical life advice.
    khaled

Morality seems almost akin to "practical life". Is it not just a series of practiced 'practical/normative' habits to alleviate stress, discomfort, etc.. best to your abilities?

This is somewhat why I attempted to make the distinction. It seems "hatred" (hate in practice e.g. terrorists, premeditated serial killers with specifically targeted victims, etc..) is different from "hate" (fleeting emotions/reactions). The former does seem to contain an element of choice on the conscious level, meaning we can add some moral culpability. It is directed at people causing harm. But it seems this 'wrongness' or 'bad' dissolves very relatively. For some reason, for example, drug addicts, people "practicing obesity", etc.. are excluded from this group, although we can observe long-term bad habits. Why is this?

To my OPs point, it seems "hate" just has no interesting significance unless it is either institutionalized or has intent of some kind behind it.

So,

If I say, "I hate fat people," it seems unreasonable to call this hate toward fat people 'bad, wrong' ... what say ye?
  • god must be atheist
    The questions are information-seeking; I am seeking your opinion on how you evaluate, think through and address the dilemmas through a series of questions. That's all philosophy is. There are no right/wrong answers.

And I don't personally care about fat people or Hitler. I am just talking and making convo on this topic; since there seems to be some arbitrariness to the whole "hate" thing.

It seems meaningful to make a distinction.
    Cobra

Thanks.
  • Changeling
    what say ye?Cobra

Welcome back @Scott the Woz
  • Cobra

What? You're the third person that has picked on me in this thread for nothing. All I did was ask a question like everyone else here. Leave me alone or I'll report you.
  • Pinprick
    Would you then it is "bad" to hate a baby killer on the basis of their actions then? Do you feel similar about the body positivity movement, that it is also "reducing people down to their weight"? Is it good if it doesn't contain hate/hatred?Cobra

So, I don’t consider feelings to be good/bad. They’re just feelings. I’m not sure exactly what you mean by the “body positivity movement,” but if it is reducing one’s worth to one’s appearance, then yes I disagree. I don’t think we should only find value in how we look. Attractive people are no more valuable than unattractive people, at least not solely based on their attractiveness.

It is then reasonable to harbor "hatred" or "hate" for obese people (for inflicting harm on themselves and others [habits being normalized in children]) that have to deal with them.Cobra

Since hate is an emotion, isn’t it irrational by definition? I mean, you can’t rationally decide to hate something; it’s an uncontrollable reaction. But the point is that our actions are controllable (at least if you believe in free will, which I don’t, but that’s an aside), and are the only thing that have an actual affect on others. Feelings are incapable of causing harm to others, whereas actions are not. This is why separating the emotion from the action is necessary to determine any moral judgment.

Now, I think it is appropriate to judge whatever actions one might do to others, like allowing/encouraging their children to eat unhealthily. But you can’t just lump those actions in with obesity. They’re separate. Being obese does not harm others, so what makes it worthy of hate or disapproval?

Hatred: "Hate" institutionalized (with power). Prejudices + intent + actions taken to "exterminate" or "eliminate" that which causes hate.Cobra

I think I understand the distinction you’re trying to make between hate and hatred, but my objection would be the inclusion of “actions” in your definition. Hatred can’t be both an emotion and an action. At best, I would just consider hatred to be more intense than hate. I hate asparagus, for example, but I wouldn’t say I have a hatred of it.

Considering that we know "obesity" is harmful, is it the good then to harbor or influence hatred against obese people to eradicate obesity? If no, what is the difference here? What "action" is best appropriate?Cobra

No, for several reasons. First, hating obese people isn’t going to eradicate obesity. If anything it will make those who are obese feel even worse about themselves. Secondly, hating a person for being obese is like hating someone because they’ve autistic. It simply makes no sense. One’s “being” (dis/abilities, physical features, etc.) doesn’t determine one’s value or worth. What does determine it is their character.

The most appropriate action for someone who hates obesity would be to do everything they could to not become obese. Also, educating others about the dangers of being obese, encouraging others to exercise or eat healthy, advocating for better/cheaper food options, etc.

But I don’t see any way to justify treating someone without respect. Intentionally trying to harm someone, be it physically, emotionally, or psychologically, is wrong. Self-defense may be an exception to this, but I don’t think there are any others.

How Hatred against obese people on large scale, society wise, less good than Hatred against Trump (not in terms of eradication).Cobra

Well, for starters the majority of people who hate Trump do so because of his character or political opinions and actions, not because of his physical characteristics or appearance. Also, there is a legal aspect to this as well. There is a lot of debate about whether or not some of his actions were legal, and those that feel they weren’t feel like his lack of punishment is unjust.
  • Book273
    It is not reasonable to remove from office, or restrict anyone from office, for simply saying " I hate... (whatever)". Actions matter more than words. Words are simply shaped air, and without constant rebuilding of those words, last mere moments. I am certain someone will object to this observation, using hate speech as an example, however, hate speech is designed to incite a response and is repeated at every chance.

If your local politician stated openly "I hate women, they are a constant headache in my life." and then proceeded to ensure that acceptance to higher learning, government entrepreneur funding, and all social programs were open and accessible to women as well as men, would you have that politician stripped of office? And what of the politician that states openly "I am open and accepting of all peoples." and then proceeds to close borders, limit government programs to only select groups, and actively promotes the closing of higher education to people based on gender orientation? Would that person be allowed to remain in office, based entirely on the use of a politically correct line?
  • Outlander
    Hate or hatred rather is merely the normal reaction experienced when one perceives something or someone that either has, is currently, may, or will, take away, disrupt, or corrupt what one loves or is in love with, be it life, love or anything in between. Unfortunately, most cases are terribly vain and counterproductive. What they often inevitably result in at least.
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet