• Caldwell
    In the realization that the love of money does not lead to well-bing.praxis
    Good take! It surely does not.
  • T Clark
    This beautiful poem comes from Tao Te King.javi2541997

I might include the Tao Te Ching on my list too.
  • James Riley

I would say:

"We knew better. And you will know better too. And, like humans, we will lie for each other, pretending that we did not know better, and that our forebears did not better. But some lone voices can be discerned from a dark and buried place, hidden in the record. Listen to them, make them your heroes, make a virtue of necessity, and aspire to our ideals, notwithstanding your humanity."
  • javi2541997
    I might include the Tao Te Ching on my list too.T Clark

I can't explain it but I already expected you would probably leave behind TTC too :up:
  • god must be atheist
    How do you see these songs changing how people act in the future? I'm not trying to be cynical, just trying to understand the reasoning for your choice.FlaccidDoor
    I am not sure if the songs have behaviour modification properties. But if people listen to these songs, and see the same beauty in them that I see -- the human condition, rapturous joy, and total immersion in the talk by another world that comprehends us, but we don't comprehend it -- then I am happy for two reasons: the songs remain known, and the joy accessed by them remain available.

I am a preservationist, and the idea to see these songs, and many others, go and pass into oblivion pains me.

I relate to these songs, and to many others, as a heroin addict relates to the drug: I want to share the immense joy. I don't take heroin, never have, but I can get pretty high on songs and coffee. I need nothing more to raise me to tears of happiness. Oh, my thoughts, too, of course, that I go through when I listen to the songs.

(P.s. I am not dissatisfied, but must correct you: the two separated not due to class differences, but due to fate. She was going through a nasty divorce, and he got her out of a tight spot, but used too much force. They drove west as far as they could then abandoned the car, and each went their own way.

If you care to listen to the song again, please pay particular attention to the part when they head back to her flat after they reunited by chance at a topless bar, where she waiters, and in her pad she hands him a book of poetry written by an Italian in the fifteenth century.)
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.