• FlaccidDoor
    I was playing with the idea that religion is like messages passed down by the people of the past. Stories on how and how not to act, on the mistakes and success they've had, in a belief structure that can captivate people. So I wanted to try a thought experiment:

You are on your deathbed as the world's greatest philosopher, surrounded by your loved ones and fans alike. Everyone there vows to cherish 1 thing you would leave behind. What you say to them will be passed down to their kids, and possibly their grandkids and so on for generations. A simpler or more interesting idea is much more likely to be remembered strongly and passed down by all than others.

So what would you leave behind if anything and why? It can be existing ones like bible stories, whatever you believe that generations after you should know.
  • god must be atheist
    The story of love and the human condition. I would present not in my own words, but in Bob Dylan's "Tangled Up In Blue".

Or maybe in the words and sounds of "Tin Soldier" and "Itchycoo Park" by the small faces.

Or by "She loves you, yeah, yeah, yeah" by the Beatles.
  • FlaccidDoor

So you'll leave songs for everyone to remember. I just listened to "Tangled Up in Blue." It was a nice song about two who were in love but couldn't be together because of class differences, reuniting later in life. How do you see these songs changing how people act in the future? I'm not trying to be cynical, just trying to understand the reasoning for your choice.
  • TheMadFool
    So what would you leave behind if anything and why?FlaccidDoor

E-V-E-R-Y-T-H-I-N-G!
  • Outlander
    A mood ring with the simple instructions of "do the opposite of whatever this says". That or a box of Trump hats, they'll figure out the rest.

Besides, there's few lessons to learn that aren't conveyed throughout history, some just take a little time and effort to uncover.

Or do you mean like a quote or several or an existing story or tale or a brand new one? Can it be something I made up on the spot?

If so it would be about a man of average or less than average stature and upbringing who worked hard, and despite several timelessly relatable setbacks, came out stronger than if he would not have faced them, eventually becoming a success in business and relationships. Oh and that we're all related to him or something. But distant enough so as to not change one's way of thinking too greatly. It should also have ninjas.

That or the blueprints for the perfect Utopian society. It would be in a box labeled as such. The person who opens it in a hurry will peer in wide-eyed then just look confused and say "All that's in here is a couple of gardening tools, a few paintbrushes, a bottle of half-drunk vodka, a pair of dice, a harmonica, and blank sheets of paper".
  • TheMadFool

A complementary set of books on critical thinking.
  • javi2541997

I would leave behind these books of human thinking with the purpose of passing the meaning of life:

Tratado de la prudencia by Baltasar Gracián

An Essay Concerning Human Understanding by John Locke.

Nicomachean Ethics by Aristotle.

Tao Te King by Lao-Tzu.
  • FlaccidDoor
    Or do you mean like a quote or several or an existing story or tale or a brand new one? Can it be something I made up on the spot?Outlander

It can be anything as long as you can make it, but keep in mind that people will forget the more complex, lengthy and boring it is. As in, your audience in generations passed will be limited to people who are interested in that genre. Your loved ones and your followers will try their best to understand what you leave and pass it on, but their kids don't care for you or what you say inherently, although they might keep it at the back of their minds even if they aren't interested.

If so it would be about a man of average or less than average stature and upbringing who worked hard, and despite several timelessly relatable setbacks, came out stronger than if he would not have faced them, eventually becoming a success in business and relationships. Oh and that we're all related to him or something. But distant enough so as to not change one's way of thinking too greatly. It should also have ninjas.Outlander

Ninjas are cool. So a story that tries to convey the importance of not giving up, but going more for a subtle message than not, if I understand. Why not just say that giving up is bad and to take that to heart?

That or the blueprints for the perfect Utopian society. It would be in a box labeled as such. The person who opens it in a hurry will peer in wide-eyed then just look confused and say "All that's in here is a couple of gardening tools, a few paintbrushes, a bottle of half-drunk vodka, a pair of dice, a harmonica, and blank sheets of paper".Outlander

I really like that one, especially the half-drunk vodka. Do those items in particular have much meaning? Or are they a random set of tools? I feel like I heard oi this before but I can't put my finger on it.
  • FlaccidDoor
    E-V-E-R-Y-T-H-I-N-G!TheMadFool

That's a greedy one. How would that look? would it be like an autobiography?
  • FlaccidDoor
    I would leave behind these books of human thinking with the purpose of passing the meaning of life:

Tratado de la prudencia by Baltasar Gracián

An Essay Concerning Human Understanding by John Locke.

Nicomachean Ethics by Aristotle.

Tao Te King by Lao-Tzu.
    javi2541997

With these books that you leave behind, how do you think the people who look at them will change their behavior? As in, how do you see people with the "meaning of life" living differently?
  • javi2541997
    With these books that you leave behind, how do you think the people who look at them will change their behavior? As in, how do you see people with the "meaning of life" living differently?FlaccidDoor

I guess these books will change their behaviour because there is a lot of wisdom inside them. It is true that I don’t have a solid proof of how supposedly would change their lives but I have a hope that they can at least do it.
    Secondly, I think they would live differently because those books have a way of thinking that probably would change their lives. At least, they way of thinking. These books are like tools of human life because it embraces a lot of philosophical solutions to the problems.

If nothing in your inner is stiff
    The things would be opened by themselves.
    In movement, like water.
    When is quite, like a mirror.
    Answers like an echo.

This beautiful poem comes from Tao Te King.
  • Outlander
    Why not just say that giving up is bad and to take that to heart?FlaccidDoor

Cognitive dissonance/bias. In one ear and out the other. Humor or other forms of entertainment, performance, or ritual can bypass the conscious mind to carry a message. We experience and are told many negative things we either don't like, disagree with, or otherwise wish did not happen or were not said. We all have an intrinsic psychological gatekeeping response, one that may be hypersensitive or perhaps even non-functional altogether due to excess hardship one experiences. If you tell a little kid he looks stupid and is dumb, he'll probably cry. Now an adult, shouldn't. He may be upset, angry, or even discouraged, but the ideal response is to just be annoyed or even better, tickled. I suppose it's a form of psychological homeostasis in a way. The mind doesn't like being confused or being wrong, so it seeks to correct it following what it knows has worked in the past. Which generally is either an emotional response, or simply ignoring it as a falsehood.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/22/smarter-living/why-its-so-hard-to-admit-youre-wrong.html

The human psyche is both an incredibly powerful and disturbingly frail thing, depending on how it's used. And what it's been through.

Do those items in particular have much meaning? Or are they a random set of tools? I feel like I heard oi this before but I can't put my finger on it.FlaccidDoor

They have purpose. They're not random, per se. It's reminiscent of many Eastern philosophies that allude to true wealth and happiness is from detachment from pursuit of material goods and the superfluous without going so far as to deny your own human needs and basic nature.

The gardening tools function as a means to till the Earth and produce sustenance for your body, while perhaps doubling as a blunt instrument for hunting. They could represent ingenuity and the concept of utility, that everything has a purpose, some large, some small, some known, some unknown. While simple tools are not unique to humanity in any way, the ingenuity that allows us to create tools that do distinguish us from the animal kingdom is not to be forgotten.

The paintbrushes function as a means to keep records, archive events, and express creativity or personalization and preference unto the world around us. It represents man's unique ability to not only change his own world but create new ones, if not in the context of art and stories.

The half-drunk bottle of vodka functions as a source of enjoyment, reward, pleasure, excitement, and entertainment. It makes the good times better and the bad times tolerable, if used in moderation and not abused. It could represent the nature of man to enhance himself to better enjoy or even cope with life and its many ups and downs. It could also represent medicinal qualities being antiseptic and an antibiotic and a symbol of man's progress and history of introducing natural elements into the body to improve quality of life and health.

The pair of dice also functions as entertainment, excitement, leisure, and joy. It represents possibility. The chances and the unknown, the give and take, the good and bad, the desired outcome and the undesired outcome. It can be used for games of chance that illustrate that possibility, much like life, can make one richer or one poorer. Like the vodka, if used in moderation and not abused, it's a must have.

The harmonica, like the last two items, are closely related to entertainment, leisure, and the like, but while introducing a form of artistic and creative value. A skill to master and hone, for music truly is the universal language, that which soothes the savage beast inside us all. It represents this and much more.

The blank sheets of paper however, well. That's for your heart to decide :)
  • TheMadFool
    That's a greedy one. How would that look? would it be like an autobiography?FlaccidDoor

But by E-V-E-R-Y-T-H-I-NG I didn't mean to leave everything to someone or some group. I meant it in the sense that when I die, I must/have to/for certain leave E-V-E-R-Y-T-H-I-N-G to....
  • Pfhorrest

"It may be hopeless, but try anyway."

Also, can I leave a book? Because I wrote like 80,000 words elaborating on that principle already.
  • unenlightened
    So what would you leave behind if anything and why?
    — FlaccidDoor

E-V-E-R-Y-T-H-I-N-G!
    TheMadFool

As if one has a choice! But at the moment, in particular, I am hoping to leave behind a small plot transformed from a grass and concrete desert to a beautiful and productive cottage garden in good heart.

Work is done, and then forgotten; therefore it lasts forever. — Lao Tzu
  • TheMadFool
    As if one has a choice!unenlightened

:up:

Death is a choice...for some at least but only when it comes to when and...quite possibly there are some among us for whom it's an if question too.
  • Jack Cummins

Your question makes me feel so sad because you are speaking of how someone who is considered as being important will have still be seen as being so after death. Sadly, many people who are probably clever and have a lot to contribute may not be remembered much at all, except by family and friends This is so variable.

Of course, the idea of being seen as important is a worthy one and it does give some thought to making a lasting contribution. However, some great people, like Van Gogh, only received recognition after death. Generally, it would be good to think that one 's thoughts will have meaning for others and, of course, it used to be that wisdom was passed from generation to generation. But, I think that this is probably getting lost, as culture becomes more and more fragmented.
  • FlaccidDoor

The vodka in moderation is a nice excuse to let loose on the other half yourself. Jokes aside I appreciate the thorough explanation of the box items. Thank you.

So if you were to leave a story, you would try to make it more subtle because otherwise it would result in misinterpretation of the message or rejection entirely? Do you think some divides in our society is caused by messages that are too blunt or over encompassing?
  • FlaccidDoor
    But by E-V-E-R-Y-T-H-I-NG I didn't mean to leave everything to someone or some group. I meant it in the sense that when I die, I must/have to/for certain leave E-V-E-R-Y-T-H-I-N-GTheMadFool

Well you might leave everything worldly behind, but if you don't voice your ideas it will die with you.
  • baker
    "That's it??"
  • TheMadFool
    Well you might leave everything worldly behind, but if you don't voice your ideas it will die with you.FlaccidDoor

What if all the ideas that I have were already known by those who came before me and what if they expressed it better?
  • FlaccidDoor
    Your question makes me feel so sad because you are speaking of how someone who is considered as being important will have still be seen as being so after death.Jack Cummins

I don't see it that way. Death may be slowed but it is inevitable, so it is relevant to all. Cower in fear or rush into it daily, it will come eventually. But death in itself is a powerful thing. The people who grieve for you will have you engraved in their heart and minds as they move past you. In other words, it is assurance that you can change life after you. I see it as a source of hope in that death is not an end to all.

For example, some people who wrote the bible are remembered by name but what about the countless people who played the part in redistributing it over millenniums? While they might not have left their name in history, they played a role in maintaining the existence of something that still plays a major part in countless people's lives today. We don't know them but their work is still here.
  • FlaccidDoor
    "That's it??"baker

Sorry?

What if all the ideas that I have were already known by those who came before me and what if they expressed it better?TheMadFool

If all your ideas were better understood by others than you, then you weren't the world's greatest philosopher! But going off that thought, what you would try to leave would be disciples that you teach in life? You don't want to leave any specific ideas but focus on certain people to carry on everything just in general?

Current ideas can be lost to the flow of time too, although if you are confident that they wouldn't disappear then I suppose there's nothing for you to be worth doing.
  • baker
    "That's it??"
    — baker

Sorry?
    FlaccidDoor
    It's a rip-off of Goethe's supposed last words -- "Mehr nicht??" (ie. 'Nothing more??')
    (The official party line is that he said "Mehr Licht!" (ie. 'More light!').)

But think about it: If one would always wonder whether what one currently has truly is "as good as it gets", then this ought to make one reflect and strive at all times.
  • Caldwell
    You are on your deathbed as the world's greatest philosopher, surrounded by your loved ones and fans alike. Everyone there vows to cherish 1 thing you would leave behind. What you say to them will be passed down to their kids, and possibly their grandkids and so on for generations.FlaccidDoor

The love of money is the root of all evil -- St. Paul
  • FlaccidDoor
    But think about it: If one would always wonder whether what one currently has truly is "as good as it gets", then this ought to make one reflect and strive at all times.baker

I like that. As if complaining to the heavens that death wasn't all that it was cut out to be. But even in life asking yourself that would push you further by making you think of the best you can achieve.
  • FlaccidDoor
    The love of money is the root of all evil -- St. PaulCaldwell

How do you see this changing people's actions or attitudes towards life? Do they try to fight capitalism or try to live in a more minimalistic way in the countryside?
  • synthesis
    Buy low, sell high.
  • FlaccidDoor

I wish I bought gamestonks
  • Caldwell
    How do you see this changing people's actions or attitudes towards life? Do they try to fight capitalism or try to live in a more minimalistic way in the countryside?FlaccidDoor
    Why is it always about capitalism? We can have capitalism and install fairness and equity as safety valves.
  • praxis
    The love of money is the root of all evil -- St. Paul
    — Caldwell

How do you see this changing people's actions or attitudes towards life?
    FlaccidDoor

In the realization that the love of money does not lead to well-bing. Hey! that's what I'd say on my deathbed, "the love of money does not lead to well-being, my friends"... [lights out]
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.