• Joe0082
    Well I am outta here.

This nonentity, whoever he is, closed my discussion called Evolution Debunked, apparently because of a slightly unconventional position being advocated. Philosophy is supposed to be a free-thinking pursuit for individualistic, intellectually-inclined people, not rigid narrow-minded morons.
  • frank
    Fdrake was orphaned at a young age and was sold to a pirate for a bag of coffee.
  • Baden
    Never heard of him. Perhaps an investigation is called for? We would hate to lose someone of your obvious calibre.

iqpizgaujjxdthvl.png
  • Valentinus
    As someone who self identifies as a rigid narrow-minded moron, I take offense at your attempts to cancel me.
  • Wayfarer
    someone please put this thread out of its misery....... :vomit:
  • ssu
    This nonentity, whoever he is, closed my discussion called Evolution DebunkedJoe0082
    The horror, the horror...

Philosophy is supposed to be a free-thinking pursuit for individualistic, intellectually-inclined people, not rigid narrow-minded morons.Joe0082
    Yeah, too bad there are so many that insist on logic, the scientific method and that stuff instead of free-thinking...

Well I am outta here.Joe0082
    Bye.
  • Valentinus

You are right. I wished I hadn't piled on.
  • counterpunch

someone please put this thread out of its misery.......:vomit:Wayfarer

Not so fast! In terms of intellectual content, this thread is far superior to Evolution Debunked.
  • fdrake

I'm moderating a philosophy board because I have the ability to respond even handedly to people who are upset with me.

I decided to close your thread for a few reasons:
    (1) Evolution denial is pseudoscience.
    (2) It also wasn't a philosophical angle on "limits of evolution" so to speak (eg, mind of god = patterns+natural order, cosmological argument grist), or treating evolution philosophically, it was...
    (3) An attempt at criticism of ideas with a series of largely decontextualised rhetorical questions, which you can tell attempt to criticise evolution by the tone, but can't sufficiently easily reconstruct the argument from the offerings.
    (4) If it was thematically appropriate for the site it wasn't transparently so, see (3).

This is the OP:

Aristotle in my humble opinion missed one important type of fallacy, which is Partial Truth Taken As Full Truth. A perfect example being evolution. Nobody doubts that it is partially true but is it the Full Truth? Evolution is at best a crude and uncertain tool in Nature's hands. To believe that Nature managed to turn bacteria into human bodies consisting of 10 trillion cells, each of which is an amazing little factory, seems like a little bit of a stretch to me. And there are just too many inexplicable features in animals and humans to believe it all happened only through evolution, like the eye, and like self-aware intelligence, and many more. Why did the Neanderthals not evolve, but remained pretty much the same for two hundred thousand years, never even inventing the bow and arrow (or for that matter the throwing spear)? Why have chimps not evolved into higher organisms? There are a thousand reasons why evolution seems only a partial truth, and only really one reason to believe it is the full truth, namely scientific conformity and fear of being branded unscientific.

In a nutshell, it was simultaneously not something generally thematically welcome on the site, and it wasn't particularly strongly written. If it was more thematically welcome, I'd've shown more lenience on the writing and left it open.
  • Gus Lamarch
    I'mfdrake

Fdrake, just ban the guy. Point.
  • counterpunch
    Fdrake, just ban the guy. Point.Gus Lamarch

After he apologises to Fdrake, I'd like to see if Joe0082 can come back with Evolution Debunked II; or maybe, "Some Problems with Evolution" - might be a less ambitious title! There are plenty of good questions I'd be glad to discuss if Joe0082 is a sufficiently, intellectually inclined entity! I suspect not.
  • Gus Lamarch
    I'd be glad to discuss if Joe0082 is a sufficiently, intellectually inclined entity!counterpunch

Indeed, but the evidence proves otherwise.
  • Gregory

I have 95 current thread but quite a few of others have been deleted because they were not fleshed out well enough. I wish they would have at least sent me back what I had written in them, but you have to learn get along with people. Then you will find this to be a place of intellectual pleasure. I don't think you're out of here yet, unless you want to
  • counterpunch
    Indeed, but the evidence proves otherwise.Gus Lamarch

Admittedly, Evolution Debunked was very poor - and his subsequent behaviour - again, suggestive of a bear of very little brain, but... erm...but...

No, I got nothing to finish that sentence with!
  • Joe0082
    Ah FDrake, FDrake, FDrake.....

Thank you for convincing me that your really ARE 100% evolved from pond scum.

And what a devolved degenerate I must be for suggesting evolution is not scriptural and inviolate. I am also sorry you found my thread poorly written, I tried hard but guess am just not up to your Rabelaisian Carnivalesque especially the part about "decontexualized rhetorical questions". You are clearly a person of deep soundings. You managed to find non-meanings and non-intentions in my thread that only a completely roboticized birdbrain could find, and I am impressed by that, just as I am impressed by the ability of a slightly different kind of automated nitwit to crawl flylike up the side of the Capitol Building over some cliche he heard. However, I must tell you that being subjected to the oversite of a robot-ding-a-ling who thinks philosophy is a matter of fitting words into an algorithm and rope-walking above an abyss of cliches is not my ideal for philosophical discussion and so I must wish you and your forum adieu and will not be reading any more of it. I am sorry I stumbled on it in the first place, no wonder US philosophy is the pathetic little pet rabbit of science that is it. It is because of science-fawining literal-minded sycophants like you, sir, who should be punching adding machines or somehing, not "monitoring" philosophically-minded people. GOOD NIGHT, GO BACK TO YOUR MENTAL CASKET.
  • Outlander
    I still don't know if he was a theist or an atheist and that's what scares me. :sweat:
  • fdrake
    I am also sorry you found my thread poorly writtenJoe0082

That's okay! Try again some other time. @Baden has a really nice OP writing guide here.

GOOD NIGHT, GO BACK TO YOUR MENTAL CASKET.Joe0082

Good night, Joe.
  • Gregory
    Baden is a tough guy to debate
  • counterpunch
    Rabelaisian CarnivalesqueJoe0082

Carnivalesque is a literary mode that subverts and liberates the assumptions of the dominant style or atmosphere through humor and chaos. It originated as "carnival" in Mikhail Bakhtin 's Problems of Dostoevsky's Poetics and was further developed in Rabelais and His World.

Apparently, our former friend Joe0082 implies his Evolution Debunked thread was a piss poor jumble of incoherent nonsense because it wasn't sincere. He was merely subverting and liberating the assumptions of the dominant style through humor and chaos! In reality - he's a Darwinist, just pretending to be a ill-tempered, idiotic Creationist! Nice one Joe - you had me fooled!
  • Gus Lamarch
    And what a devolved degenerate I must be for suggesting evolution is not scriptural and inviolate. I am also sorry you found my thread poorly written, I tried hard but guess am just not up to your Rabelaisian Carnivalesque especially the part about "decontexualized rhetorical questions". You are clearly a person of deep soundings. You managed to find non-meanings and non-intentions in my thread that only a completely roboticized birdbrain could find, and I am impressed by that, just as I am impressed by the ability of a slightly different kind of automated nitwit to crawl flylike up the side of the Capitol Building over some cliche he heard. However, I must tell you that being subjected to the oversite of a robot-ding-a-ling who thinks philosophy is a matter of fitting words into an algorithm and rope-walking above an abyss of cliches is not my ideal for philosophical discussion and so I must wish you and your forum adieu and will not be reading any more of it. I am sorry I stumbled on it in the first place, no wonder US philosophy is the pathetic little pet rabbit of science that is it. It is because of science-fawining literal-minded sycophants like you, sir, who should be punching adding machines or somehing, not "monitoring" philosophically-minded people. GOOD NIGHT, GO BACK TO YOUR MENTAL CASKET.Joe0082

his subsequent behaviour - again, suggestive of a bear of very little brain, but... erm...but...

No, I got nothing to finish that sentence with!
    counterpunch
  • counterpunch
    Baden is a tough guy to debateGregory

He is a master debater!
  • khaled
    I really wanna know what you hoped to accomplish by this thread...
  • Joe0082
    ha ha venting and kidding around. Good luck guys!
  • Nikolas
    Aristotle in my humble opinion missed one important type of fallacy, which is Partial Truth Taken As Full Truth. A perfect example being evolution. Nobody doubts that it is partially true but is it the Full Truth?

Joe, You are right to question partial truths. The accepted term I guess is half truths. From Wiki

The purpose and or consequence of a half-truth is to make something that is really only a belief appear to be knowledge, or a truthful statement to represent the whole truth, or possibly lead to a false conclusion. According to the justified true belief theory of knowledge, in order to know that a given proposition is true, one must not only believe in the relevant true proposition, but one must also have a good reason for doing so. A half-truth deceives the recipient by presenting something believable and using those aspects of the statement that can be shown to be true as a good reason to believe the statement is true in its entirety, or that the statement represents the whole truth. A person deceived by a half-truth considers the proposition to be knowledge and acts accordingly.

For evolution to be more than a half truth, it would have to be discussed as a cycle along with involution. In the East it is called the breath of Brahma but is avoided in academic philosophy
  • praxis
    Thank you for convincing me that your really ARE 100% evolved from pond scum.Joe0082

He 100% debunked your debunking?
  • BC
    Thank you for convincing me that your really ARE 100% evolved from pond scum.Joe0082

That is the sort of statement that can get ungrateful peasants banned. Look, the moderators are volunteers. They do a generally good and pretty much thankless job.
  • praxis

According to evolution theory we’re all 100% evolved from pond scum, I believe.
  • khaled
    ha ha venting and kidding around. Good luck guys!Joe0082

The irony....
  • T Clark
    @fdrake

Enough already
  • Shawn
    What is going on, here?!
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.