• Amity
    I remember discussing with you political/social cartoons the last summer.javi2541997

I remember that and more.
    Good to see you back... just as I have left...for a bit.

Thanks for the cartoon.
    However, I find it difficult to raise a smile.
    Right now, I want to smite down...those liars.

A powerful piece from the Guardian:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/feb/12/lies-lies-and-more-lies-a-government-built-on-lies-is-incapable-of-anything-else
  • Amity
    Freedom of speech

Inappropriate and offensive. Who would be amused by this? The sick and the low.

Edited for clarity:

The French satirical weekly Charlie Hebdo has stirred up anger again over the front page of its latest edition which focuses on the earthquake in Turkey

The French weekly magazine Charlie Hebdo's cartoon about the earthquake in Turkiye is continuing to receive negative criticism from all over the world.

Not only in Turkish society but several European nations and other countries have been reacting to its caricature.
    [...]
    The image published by Charlie Hebdo on the same day of the earthquake with the title "Cartoon of the Day" reads "Earthquake in Turkiye. Even, no need to send tanks."
    Freedom of Speech or Insulting? - Euronews

Fine line

The critical voice of the political cartoonist can provide a vital safety valve for a society. They can give expression to frustrations, grievances and opposition. But cartoonists need to remain sensitive to local political and social histories.

It’s a fine line between balancing the need to protect free speech and these concerns. Political cartoonists need to continue to speak truth to power, but in so doing must ensure they do not cause division and hostility which may threaten the most fundamental of rights – the right to life.
    The Conversation
  • javi2541997
    This thread makes me feel nostalgic! I remember sharing cartoons with you when I was a very recent member of TPF. I missed its existence when it is pretty good, indeed.

I agree with you. The new cartoon from Charlie Hebdo is very offensive. The people of Turkey are not guilty nor responsible for such a natural disaster. I understand that political cartoonists need freedom of speech to do their work, and to show off criticising politicians.

But in this case, it is different: I see that two normal people appear with a satirical phrase. I think it is hurtful without any cause or reason. If Erdoğan were the one who was drawn in the cartoon, the Turkish people would have interpreted it differently. More than attack to their victims, a clever criticism on Erdoğan's management regarding the effects of the earthquake.
  • Amity
    This thread makes me feel nostalgic! I remember sharing cartoons with you when I was a very recent member of TPF. I missed its existence when it is pretty good, indeed.javi2541997

Yeah, me too. I'd forgotten about it. Then @Vera Mont started a discussion: 'What is freedom?'.
    https://thephilosophyforum.com/discussion/14666/what-is-freedom

Introducing cartoons (and songs) would make it more 'Lounge' material, but I think they are a great way to explore and enjoy different aspects/issues. Lighter but still serious. Creative.
  • Jamal
    I agree with you. The new cartoon from Charlie Hebdo is very offensive. The people of Turkey are not guilty nor responsible for such a natural disaster. I understand that political cartoonists need freedom of speech to do their work, and to show off criticising politicians.

But in this case, it is different: I see that two normal people appear with a satirical phrase. I think it is hurtful without any cause or reason. If Erdoğan were the one who was drawn in the cartoon, the Turkish people would have interpreted it differently. More than attack to their victims, a clever criticism on Erdoğan's management regarding the effects of the earthquake.
    javi2541997

The cartoon is from February, and it is criticizing the Turkish treatment of the Kurds. There were anti-Kurd pogroms in the seventies and eighties in the region where the earthquake was centred.

EDIT: the fake outrage no doubt came from Turkish nationalists and Erdogan-loyalists.
  • Amity
    The cartoon is from February, and it is criticizing the Turkish treatment of the Kurds. There were anti-Kurd pogroms in the seventies and eighties in the region where the earthquake was centred.Jamal

Thanks for that information. I've edited the original post to clarify the timing.

EDIT: the fake outrage no doubt came from Turkish nationalists and Erdogan-loyalists.Jamal

From the article, the cartoon received negative criticism from around the world.
  • javi2541997
    Thanks for clarifying the context, mate :up:

From the article, the cartoon received negative criticism from around the world.Amity

You are right. It has received criticism from other Muslim countries which are friends with Turkey, for example: Argelia. This country is not a big "friend" of France's either.
  • Jamal

:up:

I will say that the cartoon is not funny, and not really meant to be. Certainly it’s in bad taste, but apparently that’s the tradition of French satire.

I’m in two minds about satire. I’m thinking that if it’s to have any effect at all it has to be shocking. Otherwise I’m as sceptical about it as Peter Cook was (himself a satirist). He referred to “those wonderful Berlin cabarets which did so much to stop the rise of Hitler and prevent the outbreak of the Second World War.”
  • Amity
    Better late than never...

Coronation Caricatures
    https://www.euronews.com/culture/2023/05/03/coronation-caricatures-has-charlie-hebdo-gone-too-far

Starting with Charlie Hebdo!
    Then:
    • Coronation: Putting out the Bibles - Harry and the Sacred Texts by Peter Brookes in The Times.
    • Austrian caricaturist Marian Kamesky, titled ‘The King and The Queen Camilla’.
    • Italian cartoonist Francesco Frank Federighi - King Charles III excitedly announcing the arrival of his imminent coronation with cymbals.
    • Cuban artist Wimar Verdecia Fuentes - King Charles edging towards the crown.
    • Dutch artist Tjeerd Royaards, the editorial cartoonist and cartoon editor for Cartoon Movement: Heavy lies the crown...The shadow of the late Queen Elizabeth II looms over this new era.

Another 4 before:
    "FINALLY!" - Cuban artist Fabian Sotolongo - Charles waking up and celebrating, thrilled at the prospect of finally acceding to the throne. Who lies next to him in his bed...?
1234Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.