• Don Wade
    Man has personally gone to the Moon, and is looking at going to Mars. However, with the science we have today, we are limited as to how "fast" we (man) can travel in space. Manned space travel to other planets in our Solar System would probably take months - even one-way - and that's just to the two planets nearest the Earth. We have sent "probes" to other planets and moons in our solar system, but to actually travel the distance ourselves - "boots on the ground" (so to speak) - may not even be physically possible - and "arrive alive". Our science does not allow us enough time, or energy, to get living human beings there and back. Just getting man to the moon and back is reaching the limit of what our science will allow us to do. In my opinion, we should re-think the concept of manned space flight to other planets.
  • Paul S

I'm not in favour of manned missions to other planets using current technology. Have felt that way since my mid 20's I think. There is an argument that the act of trying to get there fosters new technological innovation but I think breakthroughs in antimatter storage or antimatter engines is required. We didn't send a man to the moon without a computer, and I don't think we should bother trying to send a man to Mars without a significant breakthrough in propulsion, with orders of magnitude more efficiency, and orders higher specific impulse. And should humans really go.

What is more interesting in my opinion is Elon Musks idea to nuke Mars and warm it up. If we could terraform Mars over thousands of years we could slowly prepare to put permanent settlements there.
    It will be billions of years before our sun swallows up the Earth. We should have a long term objective to terraform Mars over a very long duration. That's my take.

But politics is a whole other story and in a few thousand years, we may live in an age of sticks and stones with 'flat earth' being the dominant model for the Earth.
  • Don Wade
    Good take Paul. There is too great a difference between the technology we have to put man on the moon, and the technology needed to put man on mars. It's not just how long we can stay in space - we've done that for years at a time - but, not outside the Van Allen belts. Deep Space will kill humans within just a few months and our technology is not advanced enough to protect people over longer periods. It seems our scientist are overlooking that factor, but I don't know why.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.