• Athena
    An ability to discuss personal things impersonally is a good skill to have;Cobra
    This was said when I was in a public speaking organization and I think I have just experienced why that is important. After reading your comment, I watched several TV shows with people of color discussing their issues. Most of them expressed anger towards White people and the problem of with White people pushing back. I thought of what you said and only one show was informative without making me feel threatened.

However, I don't think I understand what you are saying well enough to apply it to how I word myself.
    and even eliminate idealism (and false-fact telling) for the sake of "identity protection" - even when discussing non-trivial identities, but trivial identities have completely polluted/distorted the benefits we can extract from it's use.Cobra
    I am not sure what that means. What is a trivial identity?
  • Athena
    When this pandemic is over, I am going to make an effort to find a group I want to be with that is more creative. At the senior center, I participated in a group about political issues and I did not do well. Well, no one did well. This is frustrating. I think
    — CobraAthena
    is speaking of something I need to better understand. Or, perhaps the group needs to be artistic and not political? Wow, I am missing something here and I sure am glad Cobra step in. She has increased my appreciation of times when being impersonal might be preferred, but it can not be so impersonal that it destroys individual liberty and power.

:lol: This is looking a little more complex sense Cobra stepped it.
  • Jack Cummins

The activity which I find so liberating is creative writing groups and workshops. Of course, finding the right one is important. I enjoy writing fiction because it gives more scope for juggling bits of self disclosure and creating characters. I do also enjoy art activities, but don't want to go to ones which are still life, and prefer it if I can work on my own ideas. Once, when I was at university I discovered a philosophy group run at someone's home.

It is good that more people are joining in a thread and it was really just a slow starter, but that is probably better than one that is very active but fizzled out within a couple of days.
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.