• L'éléphant
    It seems interesting to me (at least superficially) that some people seem to participate in philosophy primarily to understand the history of philosophical ideas over time (sometimes lingering in the classical, analytic or continental pools), while others see philosophy as an aid to personal development and critical thinking. The approaches seem quite different and seem to address different personality styles and needs. Thoughts?Tom Storm
    Indeed. That's a very astute observation.

Blame the movements of rationalism and mechanistic world for that bit of analytical snobbery. :wink: The farther removed the philosophy from the human touch, the better.

The classical philosophy shouldn't be among that group, however, because they really did connect the philosophical thinking to the human nature. Aristotle and Socrates. Also, let's not forget the Stoics and the Cynics
  • Count Timothy von Icarus
    Absolutely. The one goal of philosophy. Our rallying cry is "to the sacred couch of contemplation!"

SOCRATES POMPOUSLY
    I am traversing the air and contemplating the sun.

STREPSIADES
    Thus it's not on the solid ground, but from the height of this basket, that you slight the gods, if indeed....

SOCRATES
    I have to suspend my brain and mingle the subtle essence of my mind with this air, which is of the like nature, in order clearly to penetrate the things of heaven. I should have discovered nothing, had I remained on the ground to consider from below the things that are above; for the earth by its force attracts the sap of the mind to itself. It's just the same with the watercress.

STREPSIADES
    What? Does the mind attract the sap of the watercress? Ah! my dear little Socrates, come down to me! I have come to ask you for lessons....

SOCRATES
    Do you really wish to know the truth of celestial matters?

STREPSIADES
    Why, yes, if it's possible.

SOCRATES
    ....and to converse with the clouds, who are our genii?

STREPSIADES
    Without a doubt.

SOCRATES
    Then be seated on this sacred couch.

STREPSIADES sitting down
    I am seated.

SOCRATES
    Now take this chaplet.

STREPSIADES
    Why a chaplet? Alas! Socrates, would you sacrifice me, like Athamas?

SOCRATES
    No, these are the rites of initiation.

STREPSIADES
    And what is it I am to gain?

SOCRATES
    You will become a thorough rattle-pate, a hardened old stager, the fine flour of the talkers....But come, keep quiet.

STREPSIADES
    By Zeus! That's no lie! Soon I shall be nothing but wheat-flour, if you powder me in that fashion.

SOCRATES
    Silence, old man, give heed to the prayers.
    In an hierophantic tone
    Oh! most mighty king, the boundless air, that keepest the earth suspended in space, thou bright Aether and ye venerable goddesses, the Clouds, who carry in your loins the thunder and the lightning, arise, ye sovereign powers and manifest yourselves in the celestial spheres to the eyes of your sage.

STREPSIADES
    Not yet! Wait a bit, till I fold my mantle double, so as not to get wet. And to think that I did not even bring my travelling cap! What a misfortune!

SOCRATES ignoring this
    Come, oh! Clouds, whom I adore, come and show yourselves to this man, whether you be resting on the sacred summits of Olympus, crowned with hoar-frost, or tarrying in the gardens of Ocean, your father, forming sacred choruses with the Nymphs; whether you be gathering the waves of the Nile in golden vases or dwelling in the Maeotic marsh or on the snowy rocks of Mimas, hearken to my prayer and accept my offering. May these sacrifices be pleasing to you.

Aristophanes - The Clouds
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.