• Amity
    For a lighter way into Iris Murdoch's themes and ideas. Where to start...

'Murdoch wanted her fiction to teach us lessons: often the lesson being about freedom, and how doing what you want will affect those around you.'

Murdoch's The Nice and the Good
    Often there’s a balance in Murdoch’s novels between reality and unreality, where prosaic settings are coloured by heightened emotions and exaggerated elements, giving them a fantasy-like flavour. And this may be the novel of Murdoch’s which most draws on traditional fictional styles – a philosophical investigation you can curl up with – but retains all of her individuality.The Booker Prizes - A Guide to Iris Murdoch's Best Novels

I haven't read it but it sounds good!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Nice_and_the_Good
  • Amity
    I am reading the volume of essays by Murdoch, 'Existentialists and Mystics: Writings on Philosophy and Literature', which I was fortunate to find in my local library. There is a lot to read and ponder in it, as it includes a lot of discussion, including a whole section on reading Plato.

One of the important aspects which I am finding in her work is her comparison between the arts and philosophy. This is pertinent in understanding Murdoch because she wrote novels and philosophy, so had experience in both fields.
    Jack Cummins

Excellent. Probably deserves a thread of its own. Given my recent explorations into 'The Philosophy of Creativity', I would love a deeper focus on this. I am not likely to start a discussion anytime soon but simply gathering ideas. I think I might have to invest time in this book! :up:
  • 180 Proof
    I think I might have to invest time in this book! :up:Amity
    Murdoch's Metaphysics as a Guide to Morals collection further elaborates on her reading of Plato and Platonism.180 Proof
  • Amity
    *groans* - thanks for heaping yet another onto my pile :roll:

The title makes it seem as dry as dust but I read a short review and it seems she uses her literary gifts to present her ideas clearly and lightly:
    https://www.kirkusreviews.com/book-reviews/iris-murdoch/metaphysics-as-a-guide-to-morals/
  • Jack Cummins

I wouldn't wish to start a thread on Murdoch's ideas at this stage due to repetition, but even though this thread has turned into a surreal mix of ideas, hopefully some will see the discussion here. I have been reading the essay'The Sovereignty of Good Over Other Concepts'. I find this passage useful in thinking about truth and virtue in art, even though she does see art as having more potential for degradation. Murdoch argues,
    'Good art reveals what we are usually too selfish and too timid to recognise, the minute and absolutely random detail of the world, and it reveals it together with a sense of unity and form. This form often seems to us mysterious because it resists the easy patterns of the fantasy, whereas there is nothing mysterious about the bad forms of art since they are the recognisable and familiar rat-runs of selfish day-dream. Good art shows us how difficult it to be objective by showing us how differently the world looks to an objective vision. We are presented with a truthful image of the human condition in a form which can be contemplated...'

This passage captures the way in which art is about the seeking of 'truth'. It is a form of mysticism based on observation of imminent truth as opposed to the transcendent aspects of metaphysics. Of course, it does not mean that metaphysics is outmoded but it does give a focus in 'this world' as opposed to in the abstractions of the 'hidden'. As much as I enjoy reading esoteric ideas, they may be artificial fantasies of the human imagination.
  • Amity
    I wouldn't wish to start a thread on Murdoch's ideas at this stage due to repetition, but even though this thread has turned into a surreal mix of ideas, hopefully some will see the discussion here. I have been reading the essay'The Sovereignty of Good Over Other Concepts'.Jack Cummins

No, I wouldn't expect you to start another thread. This one is flowing well with a kaleidoscope of multiple views, ideas and recommendations. It could well go on forever - the Eternal World of Jack and Friends. The thread I had in mind wouldn't be focused on Murdoch's ideas alone. But how they fit in with the bigger picture of...oh...well...Everything :wink:

I really don't know how you manage to read, digest and share so much, so quickly! I already feel overwhelmed but have ordered the hardback 'Metaphysics as a Guide to Morals' and 'The Nice and the Good' from Abe's 2nd hand bookstore. Only about £3 each with free shipping.

You are fortunate to have such a great library nearby. I've been reading a little about her ideas and writing online. For example https://www.themarginalian.org/2022/03/30/iris-murdoch-against-the-gods/

Includes Links to https://www.themarginalian.org/2019/10/21/iris-murdoch-unselfing/

I enjoy the aspects related to beauty, nature, attention and unselfing. 'The spirit relaxing into our essential nature, sharing existence'. (paraphrasing).
    And can hardly believe she took on Plato in her own version of Dialogues! What an imagination.
    The short and easy articles include works of art. Enjoy :smile:
12345Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.