• javi2541997
    The 2024 United Kingdom general election is today! Are you ready, mates?
    Most of the opinion polls say Labour will win a large number of seats. Let’s see what happens.

1280px-Opinion_polling_for_the_next_United_Kingdom_general_election_after_2019_%28LOESS%29.svg.png
  • frank

The British think they're so great with their candidates who can speak in complete sentences.
  • Benkei
    :lol: It's funny because it's true. But you'll get another candidate instead of Biden.
  • javi2541997
    I had no idea you were joking about Biden's dementia until I read @Benkei’s post. I am naïve about politics. :snicker:
  • Shawn

One is speaking American and the other... not really sure.
  • frank
    But you'll get another candidate instead of Biden.Benkei

Not unless Biden dies or is incapacitated.

So you probably didn't know today is Independence Day for Americans. Like maybe independence wasn't such a great idea. :sad:

One is speaking American and the other... not really sure.Shawn

I didn't see the debate. I couldn't watch.
  • unenlightened
    I voted for Biden today. No wait, wrong country, wrong thread; I voted green.
  • javi2541997
    TA-DA.

Say good morning to your new Prime Minister, lads.

s-l1200.webp
  • unenlightened
    I think my first reaction to the result is not to emphasise the victory of the labour party, but more the quite astonishing rise of the small parties. If you are not familiar with the electoral system of the UK, we have a 'first past the post system', and this massively favours there being 2 parties. So, for example, in my local constituency, labour won the seat comfortably with just over 33% of the vote. I think the figure nationwide is about 34%. So labour have won two thirds of the seats with only one third of the votes.

Given this situation, the fact that there are over 100 third, fourth, fifth party and independents is highly significant. I hope this will persuade Labour towards some electoral reform. but I doubt they will see that it is in their interests, as one of the big two.
  • javi2541997
    Thank you for your insight and explanations.

So, for example, in my local constituency, labour won the seat comfortably with just over 33% of the vote.unenlightened

Let me guess. Your constituency is Chatham and Aylesford. :smile: https://www.theguardian.com/politics/ng-interactive/2024/jul/04/uk-general-election-results-2024-live-in-full

Given this situation, the fact that there are over 100 third, fourth, fifth party and independents is highly significant. I hope this will persuade Labour towards some electoral reform.unenlightened

Although, it is not in the same context, be careful with those small parties. We have independent parties in our Congress, and they persuade the main party (PSOE, that is the Labour Party), but just for personal benefits, forgetting the common and national goals. 
  • unenlightened
    Although, it is not in the same context, be careful with those small parties. We have independent parties in our Congress, and they persuade the main party (PSOE, that is the Labour Party), but just for personal benefits, forgetting the common and national goals.javi2541997

Yes, it is not particularly good news, but a sign of the fragmentation of society. It would be nice if one could campaign for Palestine recognition, or the environment or immigration control or whatever without having to form a party but have influence on the existing parties. There is no principle any more, only "interests" and "opinion"; for want of moral consensus we are prey to ideologues.

It cannot be stable to have a minority of 34% of a turnout of 60% which I think comes out to a government with just 20% of the electorate supporting, and some of that a reluctant "they can't be worse than the last lot" support. With a little help from a hostile and scandal-hungry press, that support can vanish almost overnight.
  • Baden
    It cannot be stable to have a minority of 34% of a turnout of 60% which I think comes out to a government with just 20% of the electorate supporting, and some of that a reluctant "they can't be worse than the last lot" support. With a little help from a hostile and scandal-hungry press, that support can vanish almost overnight.unenlightened

That's just what I was thinking earlier. Beyond the hype, only one in five actually voted for Labour. And the Rupert Murdoch party winning again is hardly going to be transformative. If it were, his press would quickly decide they're no longer his party and that would probably be the end of them.
  • Baden
    I doubt they will see that it is in their interests, as one of the big two.unenlightened

If the same percentage-wise results occurred in Ireland which has a more proportional system, the largest party would be facing a forced coalition now. If I recall correctly, at least 45% is realistically required for a majority and no one party has achieved that in decades.

So, no they won't.
  • javi2541997

Look, mates, hmm… 649 of the 650 possible seats are already declared, but there is one left. I don’t know if I am able to say this, but that seat is mine, actually. I won it to Liz Truss in East Londonderry. So, due to these exceptional circumstances and chaotic situation, I vow to declare my seat, if only His Majesty the King and Starmer allow me to do the following:

The VAT has to be reduced, and the price of a pint of beer will be £1 from now on.
    @unenlightened will be the only real assessor for internal and external disputes. 
    @BadenRob has to be the next Speaker of the House of Commons and appointed ambassador to Spain.
    @Jamal has to be the next president of the Scottish Supreme Court. 
    The full recognition of Palestine as a state.
    No more pollution in the atmosphere. With the aim of achieving this, I plead with His Majesty the King to make the metro and bus free. 
    @Sir2u has to be the next Chancellor of Oxford University to teach Spanish there.

This letter has already been sent to ‘The Telegraph’ …

Source: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/general-election-2024/

Signed: Javier,
  • Sir2u
    The VAT has to be reduced, and the price of a pint of beer will be £1 from now on.javi2541997

I remember when we used to go out with three quid and go home very happy (drunk), well fed and sometimes even with a bird after dancing all night. We all got pissed off when the price went up to 10 pence a pint. Them was the days mate....

Sir2u has to be the next Chancellor of Oxford University to teach Spanish there.javi2541997

Porque me está molestando con esto, puesto de basura. Dame el puesto de primer ministro y rapidito arreglo el país.
    Y la mitad que van a este universidad ni saben bien el inglés.
  • Sir2u
    Say good morning to your new Prime Minister, lads.javi2541997

I am still so glad I left England when I did, that place is fucked up.
  • javi2541997
    I am still so glad I left England when I did, that place is fucked upSir2u

It will no longer be a wrecked country. With Starmer as PM and my seat, everything will be OK. I see a re-accession to the European Union on the horizon.
  • unenlightened
    I see a re-accession to the European Union on the horizon.javi2541997

Now that is funny. The UK population would vote for it of course with the benefit of hindsight, but the EU, perhaps, would not be so keen to welcome home the prodigal Isles, and break out the fatted calf again.
  • javi2541997
    It will not be easy, that's for granted. But we all (EU members included, absolutely) need to fix something that couldn't have ever happened. Sometimes politicians lie to us, making us think one way is better than the other, but at the end of the day, the population ends up paying the price. I could understand that some EU bureaucrats can't be trusted at all. Germany has its own interests too, etc. I guess there will not be any issue on the Mediterranean nations side. I care about Europe. I also believe there is a possibility of getting through. The citizens are always the ones who sweep up the mess of the politicians. It is not the time to be divided. We already had that time back in past years. Wars of religion, nationalism, political ideologies, etc. It is something we no longer deserve. We are the candle of civilisation, and we don't need to be heavily dependent on the USA or China. We can do it on our own. If we couldn't reach it via politics, we could try it via culture, at least.

*That was a tiny excerpt from my address at Westminster. Sorry if there are any grammatical hiccups.
  • EdwardC
    If Labour wins and Biden wins, then with Melenchon in France, the globalist establishment could be under real threat of being reworked. I’m interested to see what happens in France. Instead of the far-right taking over and simply ousting immigrants, the Popular Front “seems” primed to shake up the current. Anyone have an opinion?
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.