• Lionino
    This here is something you don't get to say and be awarded the interpretation that it is joke. I avoid using this word when I'm joking.L'éléphant

That is fine because that was a false accusation. I do not recall calling other TPF members idiots, I recognise that there are quite a few people (much) more educated than me in philosophy, mathematics and logic.
    What he is likely misremembering is the few times I stated that there are crazy people in this site. And we all know that there is.
    But I am sorry that me saying other adult men are not sweet stirred emotions. Saying people are not sweet is not the same as that they are not polite — which is something I think is generally practiced by members here.
    I just wanted to praise Vera Mont for her kind spirit and put a little joke in there, end of conversation for me.
  • baker
    I think I’m mostly perceived as an asshole and a punkMikie
    And proud of it!
    It annulls your climate activism.
  • baker
    Interested in how others think they’re perceived…and as a bonus: how different would these perceptions be in real life?Mikie
    I don't have to imagine this, I only need to think of things I've been actually told. A troll, boring, not cool enough.

This is pretty much how I feel most of the time here:

7a6ef721423d92b1f9015f82d7ed9593.jpg

esp. around the forum greats.

(For example, I’m actually a nice guy in the real world! If I had any friends you could ask them.)
    Bah, that's the thing with this forum: one never knows when one should read between the lines and when not.
    And then there's the Old Boys club.
  • baker
    well, Baker can a benevolent prick.L'éléphant
    *sigh*

One thing that I find so peculiar (and for which I have gotten a lot of flak) is the almost complete lack of introspection, lack of self-reflection, and lack of applying the theme that is being discussed to oneself, on the spot. Esp. in Western philosophical discourse, any request for such is instantly dismissed as a fallacious ad hominem. I just don't understand this.

There is a whole existential meta-level to a philosophical discussion, yet esp. in Western settings, this meta-level is entirely off-limits, and anyone probing to this level is dismissed as a troll etc. etc. As if the norm of philosphical discussions is to engage in them, and then close the book, shut down the computer, and go and have a beer as if nothing happened.
  • javi2541997
    This is pretty much how I feel most of the time here:baker

I like you, baker. I think you are a honest and good mate.

I remember when you helped me to write in cursive, and I invited you to my home for supper. A true friendship was built... :flower:
  • Mikie
    And proud of it!
    It annulls your climate activism.
    baker

I’m not a climate activist, and nothing I do “annulls” (sic) climate science in any way. Your worthless, unsolicited opinion notwithstanding.

This is pretty much how I feel most of the time here:baker

Right— and despite all the feedback, you endlessly go around lecturing others on how to properly and effectively communicate, and how ignorant we all are for not changing our ways. Meanwhile, you continue doing the same thing time after time, apparently without an iota of self awareness or adaptation. Rather, you play a victim.

I’ll start taking your unsolicited advice seriously when you grow up. Until then, leave me alone. I have no interest in your opinions and haven’t once ask for them. Hypocrites are to be ignored, where I come from.
  • Mikie
    I legitimately have no idea what people think of me. Members educated extensively in philosophy may recognize me as a dilettante, and these days I’m more visible in the Shoutbox than anywhere else so I’m probably thought of as a buffoon, and perhaps an arrogant one.Jamal

Doesn’t track with my perception. You’re one of the better communicators here. Whether that’s true of your verbal skills I have no idea…

As for dilettante: aren’t we all?

I doubt most members think of me at all.Vera Mont

This is not meant rudely, but for me this is true. But I think it’s only because we haven’t interacted much and you’re often reasonable enough that your posts don’t stand out. And perhaps it’s something about your name — for some reason it blends with so many others that I have a hard time remembering.

These days I suppose I'm just the second-in-command shoutbox class clown, next to Hanover.Noble Dust

Yeah I do see your posts mostly in that thread, so it’s hard not to relegate you to chattiness.

I think people think of me as the Bob Hope of the forum. Which is great, as everyone loves Bob.Baden

Yes, you’re definitely the Bob Hope of the forum.

If I die, nobody would truly care.javi2541997

Oh stop. I’d care— I just don’t know you well enough to care deeply. That’s for real time interactions.

:up:
  • Vera Mont
    This is not meant rudely, but for me this is true. But I think it’s only because we haven’t interacted much and you’re often reasonable enough that your posts don’t stand out. And perhaps it’s something about your name — for some reason it blends with so many others that I have a hard time remembering.Mikie

Not too many people are pissed off at me? That's just the way I prefer it. You know what happens to the nail that stands out, right?
  • Mikie

Exactly. Better to go under the radar.
  • Mikie
    But I will say that your view of me does not say anything about my character more than it does about yours.Lionino

And yours. Because he’s right. So maybe it’s worth taking the feedback.
  • Mikie
    That said, I actually find this place to be populated by above average intelligence.L'éléphant

:chin:

There’s a dozen or so people who are certainly above average. But there’s a lot of morons too. But those dozen or so make it worthwhile— far more so than Twitter or and other social media sites.
  • Lionino
    And yours. Because he’s right. So maybe it’s worth taking the feedback.Mikie

Seething frustration and false accusations are not feedback.
  • L'éléphant
    It seems that way to me, also. But I suspect AI is crawling along the alleyway waiting to slip through a cracked door. This could be a plus . . . or not? :chin:jgill
    You'll know them by the essays they write. haha! :lol:
    They write for themselves, and it's not a two-way communication -- they'll respond to you but not to you.

There’s a dozen or so people who are certainly above average. But there’s a lot of morons too.Mikie
    Well, in that case, I only read the dozen or so people.

What he is likely misremembering is the few times I stated that there are crazy people in this site. And we all know that there is.Lionino
    lol. :sweat:
    I don't read most posts in this site. So, I must have missed the crazy ones.

I hope those few crazies did not leave a lasting impression here such that they now define this site.
  • L'éléphant
    One thing that I find so peculiar (and for which I have gotten a lot of flak) is the almost complete lack of introspection, lack of self-reflection, and lack of applying the theme that is being discussed to oneself, on the spot. Esp. in Western philosophical discourse, any request for such is instantly dismissed as a fallacious ad hominem. I just don't understand this.baker
    I know. Caring is hard. Like loving is hard. :wink:

You need to outsmart them, Baker. Write it differently instead of using words that betray your undertone. If I come along and post in a thread in favor of paternalism, for example, and just blaarrgghh the basics, sans nuance and metaphor, like I have-no-reservation-so-take-it-or-leave-it, then guess what I'm gonna get in response?
  • baker
    A true friendship was built... :flower:javi2541997
    Except that I'm wearing black.
  • Mikie

Honestly, the thing that stands out in my perception is your name— which I like— and the fact that you usually write well and are fairly unassuming. I don’t know much else about you though…
  • Hanover
    The thread was supposed to be about how we thought we appeared to others, sort of a test of self awareness, but it's instead become an assessment of others thread.

In the Hillary-Trump debate, the moderater asked Hillary and Trump to say something nice about each other, which I thought was the only interesting question.

Compliments are more challenging, not because we can't think of things, but because it takes us out of our comfort zones to be nice.

I ate dinner at a Mormon's home, and his 5 kids took turns before dinner telling each other what they admired about one another. That was not an event that ever happened at the House of Hanover.

Anyway, I throw down the gauntlet. Only compliments.
  • Paine

Only compliments? My siblings built me up and tore me down. Both efforts hit the mark.

But your challenge is fair. Will consider.
  • baker
    Compliments are more challenging, not because we can't think of things, but because it takes us out of our comfort zones to be nice.Hanover
    Oh, I thought people came here to unlearn being nice.
    It's easy to be nice and to care.

Anyway, I throw down the gauntlet. Only compliments.
    Lol, of all the idioms, you choose a martial one, and then invite compliments. It's as if you're categorically unable to say something without it being a double entendre. Don't repudiate it, it's a fine art.
  • L'éléphant
    Honestly, the thing that stands out in my perception is your name— which I like— and the fact that you usually write well and are fairly unassuming. I don’t know much else about you though…Mikie
    Thank you. No, that should stay that way. It's good to know less -- it's the thought that counts.

And of you, as well -- good to know you are one of the mods. That's all I need to say about you.
  • praxis
    Hate to think what people think of me. I have very low self-esteem and tend to think the worst.

PjSuMP.gif
  • L'éléphant
    I have very low self-esteem and tend to think the worst.praxis

Jesus! That would cripple me to the point of not being able to participate in a forum like this. The fact that you're here and having that condition is a puzzle to me. I wish you the best.
  • praxis

You’re supposed to offer me compliments to bolster my self-esteem.

Apparently I’m not as funny as I think I am. :sad:
  • L'éléphant
    Apparently I’m not as funny as I think I am. :sad:praxis
    Whatever posts you've written in the forum which I had read, I liked your posts. You seem to be level-headed to me.
    I didn't say this earlier because I didn't want you to think I was pandering.

Now, does that bolster your self-esteem?
  • Jamal

You’re the best, prax!
  • praxis

Aha, my plan worked after all. :grin:
  • Mikie
    Well this thread took an unexpected positive turn. Glad to see it.

Only disappointed the contrast between one’s internet persona and that of the real world wasn’t explored more. Oh well!
  • AmadeusD
    Do you mean their real-world persona?

If so, feel free to make a comment. I assume there isn't much daylight between them here, versus Twitter or FB.
  • L'éléphant
    Aha, my plan worked after all. :grin:praxis
    All for the best. :razz:
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.