• praxis

Cadbury is an English brand, if I’m not mistaken. If so, I think that makes you some sort of cultural confectionery traitor. A person who’s allegiances are turned on a Dime.
  • Vera Mont
    I won't deny that Lindt is good chocolate, but it's like eating a raw ingredient.Jamal

I think it's rather more subtle than that. What I like least about American popular sweets is that they put in too much salt and then too much extra sugar to hide it. Plus unnecessary stuff like cereal, nuts and raisins. The odd piece of hazelnut or almond is all tight, but they go three steps beyond that: they put in far too much and then surround the fillers with more sugar in the form of runny caramel or hard toffee, nougat or cookies, leaving little room for actual chocolate, which is what I like. I like cookies as cookies, nuts as nuts, nougat as nougat - but I prefer to choose how much of each and when.
  • Jamal
    :grin:

True, my compatriots would hang me, if only they could catch me. But note that I’m mainly Scottish, which is not a form of English.

I do like some Cadbury’s chocolate. The Chomp, for example.

Incidentally and in case you don’t know, there’s some connection between Quakers and chocolate. Cadbury and a few other English chocolate makers like Rowntree and Fry were Quakers.
  • praxis

I’m not a caramel fan myself, but looking up the Chomp I see that Cadbury has a wide variety of treats. The stores only stock a few around here.

Interesting about the Quakers. Until now I only suspected a connection with oatmeal.
  • universeness

Do you remember the Cabana bar?
    chocolate-extinct-discontinued-rowntrees-cabana.jpg?auto=format&w=1440&q=80

They had a dark choc version that I remember well and was sorry to see discontinued. Couldn't have been popular enough amongst the 'chompers.'

F2362F2C-C9CF-461F-A62C-0A7BF1D863D0.jpg?v=1694036444&width=1445
  • Jamal
    That's interesting: I don't remember the Cabana at all, even though according to Wikipedia it was around in the 80s, which was my main chocolate bar decade. I don't like coconut or cherry flavour sweets, so I would have avoided it.
  • universeness

How about the 'Topic,' you must remember that one?
    ercb21-topic-chocolate-bar-white-847757655.jpg
  • Jamal
    Yes, there was something about it I didn't like. Maybe in those days my nut love had not moved beyond peanuts out to hazelnuts, I don't know.
  • Hanover
    The best candy bar generally is the Snickers bar because it serves as an emergency ration, tiding one over until the next full meal. It's limitation of course is it's low melting point, but the plastic infused wrapper protects the bar proper so that it can squeezed directly into one's mouth if in the field.

The Milky Way bar, with its whipped creamy filling, lives up to its name as being a top contender in our solar system, although its lack of a fulfilling nutty crunch leaves it wanting. It therefore cannot be fully counted on in the way the Snickers bar can.

To take this in a whole nother direction as they say back home, we can consider the Million Dollar bar, a delicacy that at one time only titans of industry could afford due to its high, but wholly justified price. The rich caramel immediately will inject the most weary with a surge of energy that has been known to resurrect the hypoglycemic from their permanent slumbers. It is used in some countries just for that purpose in fact, where the dead are re-alived, albeit it in a zombie like state, where they soon begin donning motorcycle gear and begin to lurk about in search of brains.
  • TiredThinker
    Don't most chocolate bars have nuts or a waffer or something in them?
  • Vera Mont

Many do. Technically, they're candy bars, but if manufacturers put a thin layer of chocolate on a cookie, nut, toffee or nougat bar, it can pass in the minds of consumers for a chocolate bar. Sugar and peanuts are way cheaper than chocolate and incidentally, less exploitative to acquire.
  • Jamal
    Now that you've set things out, I understand the distinction you're making between chocolate bars and candy bars, and I apologize. You're right: I've been focusing on what you're calling candy bars. The trouble is, we don't use the word "candy" in the UK so anything covered in chocolate is a chocolate bar by default.
  • universeness
    The trouble is, we don't use the word "candy" in the UK so anything covered in chocolate is a chocolate bar by default.Jamal

Well, we wouldn't call a club biscuit, a chocolate bar, even though it's covered in chocolate, or should we? I suppose a Kit Kat blurs them lines between chocolate biscuit and chocolate bar and I won't get into the big Jaffa cake debate! is a Jaffa cake really a biscuit or is it truly a cake? Certainly not a chocolate bar, agree?
  • Jamal

You’ve opened a can of worms.
  • Nils Loc
    Then once the waxy sensation is gone eat from a bar like the one below, youll notice they dont leave a nasty wax coat of fats.Vaskane

I think pure chocolate, with no added fats or other additives, can suffer from the ubiquitous waxy problem. I've had local farm single ingredient chocolate that is waxy. It's probably an issue of crystallization of the cocoa butter. Industry additives probably improve the mouth feel.
  • universeness

As long as they are not worms which are covered in chocolate. Would they be called chocolate worm bars?? Good Grief! Gaps in our knowledge, everywhere! :gasp:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTtp4Q2xUq4lwx8cPxsdHVbleccQH9Pm2QKpg&usqp=CAU
  • universeness

Just to add to the general miasma. How about this one.
    We use the term 'chocolates' to refer to chocolate confection with various fillings and of various sizes and shapes, normally stored in a box formation, hence 'box of chocolates.'

As a business idea, (around 23 years ago) some of my S6 pupils, as part of a IDL (Inter-Departmental Learning) project, between the business dept and the computing dept, came up with the idea of merging a group of chosen chocolates, traditionally found in a box formation, into a bar or block style.
    They proposed that their chosen chocolates would have different contents, be different sizes and shapes, but all be connected in a single bar/block style and be wrapped in the same way as a traditional 'bar' of square or rectangular sections. They soooooo struggled between calling it a bar or block or group or palette of chocolate. They ended up with naming it the zoob zoob chocolate palette. Whaddyafink? They got quite good grades for their project. But alas, I have not seen the zoob zoob chocolate palette in the shops, since I moved on to a new computing class of S6 in 2001.
  • L'éléphant
    I am not a sweets eater in general. I would get sick and vomit if I eat a lot of chocolates or cakes or other sweet stuff. My limit is the size of a bite size chocolate bar.
    That said, the pictures here look delicious. And also, of course, chocolates have that ingredient flavanol that is good for health.

Chocolates also come in pink:

PKLDTWJMNJM77DRDW4XQQHNHUI.jpg?auto=webp
  • Lionino
    I've never heard of 'Daim bar,' but chocolate mixed with nuts? Ew!javi2541997

I upvote this comment.

I am not a chocolate guy, but have you guys and girls had dark chocolate with salt?
    proxy-image?piurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.coutukitsch.com%2Fcdn%2Fshop%2Ffiles%2F4_20584a50-f0b6-4db5-8d7f-8f13255bff3b.png%3Fv%3D1689628497%26width%3D1445&sp=1704317229Tb1ed4ad005ec8ec905f1fae873b62a47799bf134889799c476a227ce4fc4e04b
    It is very sexy.
  • universeness
    One of my fav dark choc confections is:
    61xEu5EiUmL._AC_SL1280_.jpg
  • universeness

I think I need some therapy!
    In my head, when I viewed your response. I accused you of 'chocolate racism!' :rofl:
    What does your philosophy tell you about that? Apart from any ad hominem towards me, currently manifesting in your Freudian Id. You don't like dark chocolate associated with old Jamaica and rum ....... chocolate racism :rofl:
    I think I will just buy more of that chocolate to defy you. Oh wait, I still have 6 bars in my fridge!
  • Jamal
    Never mind racism: I'm surprised you haven't brought theism into this debate.

I like dark chocolate, but Bournville is IMHO the old over-sweet sickly sticky disgusting kind of dark chocolate. Also I abhor rum.

Raisins I can handle.
  • universeness
    Never mind racism: I'm surprised you haven't brought theism into this debate.Jamal
    :cool: Do you associate 'dark' chocolate with the Christian devil/satan? Do you think Jesus would only have ever chosen to eat white chocolate? :joke:

I like dark chocolateJamal
    Welcome back to atheism! We wondered what had happened to you. Some said you caught some kind of hanovarianism or something, is that true?

the old over-sweet sickly stickyJamal
    kind of dark chocolate.Jamal
    :yum: :yum: but my type 2 diabetes screams noooooooooooo!

I abhor rumJamal
    I once met a beautiful girl at a party and between the two of us, we drank one bottle of 'black heart rum,' and too many bottles of Sol with a slice of lime or lemon, scrunched into the bottle.
    She eventually had her wild way with me. I like rum!

rum_bla1.jpg
    4864198428_4fa9df12c3_b.jpg

Raisins I can handle.Jamal
    Covered in dark chocolate?
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.