• Jamal
    I was inspired by @TiredThinker's recent discussion about sponge candy to start a discussion about chocolate bars.

I've completed a decades-long survey and it turns out the best ones are the Daim bar from Sweden (which is or used to be called "Dime" in the UK), and the Step bar from Russia.

s-l1600.png

orig

Obviously most of you will be boycotting Russian chocolate bars at the moment, but surely some of you have had a Daim bar.
  • javi2541997
    I've never heard of 'Daim bar,' but chocolate mixed with nuts? Ew! Speaking objectively, a chocolate bar should only have just that: chocolate (and maybe some cookies).

The king of chocolate bars: Kit kat

p0r84epozzydwuru.jpeg

And a bit of recognition of the national product.

q1jv98sqcmfv479a.jpg
  • Jamal
    but chocolate mixed with nuts? Ew!javi2541997

You've been living under a rock if you're shocked and surprised by the concept of chocolate mixed with nuts! It's the classic chocolate combination. Ever heard of M&Ms?

You should be able to get a Daim bar at IKEA by the way.
  • Jamal
    I had Valor chocolate a few times when I was in Spain but was not blown away. I don't think I tried Huesitos. Kit-Kats are crap.
  • javi2541997
    Ha! I knew you would say the kit kat were rubbish, but I decided to put it anyway. :razz:

Ever heard of M&Ms?Jamal

Yes, and I was in its large store in London, and their taste is like savoring the harvest. Ew!
  • Jamal
    their taste is like savoring the harvest. Ew!javi2541997

"Savouring the harvest" to me sounds deliciously evocatively delicious.

That makes me think of my Siberian tea, which isn't really tea. It looks like somebody went in to a forest and just swept up whatever was on the ground. Leaves, needles, cones, sticks, etc. I say it's like drinking a forest, and I mean it as a good thing. I savour the forest.

Before anyone thinks I'm one of those tea people, I'm not. Coffee is my drink, but I drink tea when I have infections of the upper respiratory system, as I do now.
  • universeness
    The Double Decker was one of my fav's but I also loved crunchies, bounty bars, mars bars, marathon bars, milky ways, yorkies and most other chocolate bars that have ever existed.

Candyfunhouse_cadbury_doubleDecker_54g-Side-jpg-1.jpg?v=1679971504
  • Jamal
    The Double Decker was one of my fav's but I also loved crunchies, bounty bars, mars bars, marathon bars, milky ways, yorkies and most other chocolate bars that have ever existed.universeness

I can't take your whisky chat seriously, knowing that you have so little chocolate bar discernment. Mars bars indeed.

My edgy opinion is that grown-up chocolate bars, rather like single malt whisky, are a triumph of marketing over substance, and that the confectionery aimed at kids is more inventive and tasty. I won't deny that Lindt is good chocolate, but it's like eating a raw ingredient.
  • universeness
    I can't take your whisky chat seriously, knowing that you have so little chocolate bar discernment. Mars bars indeed.Jamal

That's alright, while you come to terms with that, this weekend, I will nibble happily on a mars bar, et al, in between sips of the wonderful two bottles of Ileach I Just bought.
  • Jamal
    When I crack open my own on Christmas Eve I'll drink to you and your crappy chocolate bars.
  • universeness

Awe! That's so nice :flower: I forgot I had a big tub of 'Celebrations,' all the mini choc bars you could ever want! Including mini mars bars! Oh, I also bought a Caol ila 12, An Ardbeg Uigeadail and a Lagavulin 16.
  • Nils Loc
    I like the chocolate covered Payday currently. Peanuts and chocolate married together in harmony, followed by black coffee. Whowza! These candy companies need to make a luxury version where they lower the sweetness level a bit and increase the quality of the chocolate. Often, shelf peanut products taste a bit old.

IKYYdKD.jpg
  • Jamal
    That’s my kind of chocolate bar. Looks a bit like two British ones, which happen to be among the best British chocolate bars: Lion Bar and Picnic. @universeness resides in the UK and yet didn’t mention them :chin:

The other best UK chocolate bar is the humble yet perfect Chomp.
  • universeness

It's a bit like a 'picnic' in Scotland, but not quite.
    Cant say if they would taste exactly the same as I've never tasted a payday bar.
    The inside config of a picnic looks different to a payday bar but perhaps the same basic ingredients:
    51nVWh5IOOL._AC_UF350,350_QL80_.jpg
    Similarly with a lion bar, which has not got the big nuts of the pictured payday bar!
    s-l1600.jpg
    Do you two need yer big nuts, with yer big chocolate bar?
  • javi2541997
    I just remembered about this beauty. :cool:

6yazl8315b43yx1g.jpeg
  • universeness

Don't forget the cheeky wee toffee crisp!
    s-l1600.jpg
    How about a wee star bar or the old favourite Twix?
  • universeness

The payday bar reminds me more of the now defunct Rowntree's Nutty Bar from the 1970's, minus the covering chocolate.
    hqdefault.jpg
  • javi2541997
    For folks and mates who want to take care of themselves.

nplajuon76i42qcz.jpeg
  • Jamal
    Twixuniverseness

It’s a bad bar. Toffee Crisps are fine but not great.
  • universeness

Yeah, not mad on da Twixes myself, but I will indulge if that's all that's on offer!
  • Jamal
    I would eat one to prevent death from starvation at the very last minute.
  • universeness

Not If I got to it first pal!
  • Jamal
    I’d have eaten you first.
  • universeness

Well, mad cow disease would be yer reward, if you manage that one. I would do ma ninja moves and avoid your attack and get to the twix. F***** if I am eating you, ah don't want mad cow disease! Or even worse, I might start Russian about.
  • Jamal
    Ok, you have the twix.
  • universeness

Hah! Ya surrender monkey! Ah might gie yi a wee bit aff the end! (flipping auto correct keeps messing wi ma slang man!)
  • Jamal
    Sickly sweet with an unpleasant, sticky texture.
  • praxis

If you say so. I haven’t been able to go back to regular bars since trying these.
  • Jamal
    You do you, of course, but I can’t help but think less of you.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.