• Advocate
    That's also risky for the reason stated above, though not as risky as pure pleasure :PAgustino

Love has many paths. If you do what you love, you're living your life.
  • S
    That's also risky for the reason stated above, though not as risky as pure pleasure.Agustino

It's worth it, and is not terrible at all - it's the opposite. I could still get enjoyment in old age, from things like literature, philosophy, music, film, comedy, a pet cat, and so on and so forth. And if I got a disease, or had an accident, which posed a great enough obstacle, such that I'd rather not live at all, then I could do something about that, except in exceptional circumstances, but that'd just be a terribly unfortunate happenstance.

I find your answer tragic. A delusion has the greatest power over you.
  • Terrapin Station
    That must be quite a terrible existence then for you, because pleasure is quite a fickle mistress, often attended by a harem of pain. Terrible uncertainty shall follow you at every step, and a deep seated animalistic fear for the day when pleasure will become impossible - and it always does sooner or later with age, disease, etc. All who have made pleasure their mistress have been left destitute, with everything taken away from themAgustino

I'm very easily entertained.
  • litewave
    That must be quite a terrible existence then for you, because pleasure is quite a fickle mistress, often attended by a harem of pain.Agustino

Pleasure doesn't have to be carnal. It can also be gained from the worship of God. In general, it is simply "pleasant feelings".
  • Hanover
    a pet catSapientia

Your cat is stupid though.
  • S
    Your cat is stupid though.Hanover

That's one of the things I like about her. It gives me an advantage which I can exploit.

I like you, too.
  • Agustino
    I'm very easily entertained.Terrapin Station
    So what would you do if you were left paralysed and deaf (I pick deaf because I know you like music) due to, for example, an accident or illness?
  • Agustino
    And if I got a disease, or had an accident, which posed a great enough obstacle, such that I'd rather not live at all, then I could do something about that, except in exceptional circumstances, but that'd just be a terribly unfortunate happenstance.Sapientia
    That sounds quite tragic to me :P
  • Terrapin Station
    So what would you do if you were left paralysed and deaf (I pick deaf because I know you like music) due to, for example, an accident or illness?Agustino

I'd be easily entertained by visual things.
  • Agustino
    I'd be easily entertained by visual things.Terrapin Station
    Do you honestly think that would be true?
  • Terrapin Station

Yes. I'm kind of an "irrational optimist" and I'm seriously very easily entertained.
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    Yes. I'm kind of an "irrational optimist" and I'm seriously very easily entertained.Terrapin Station

Mind if I take that "irrational optimist"? I really like the way you phrased it.
  • Terrapin Station

Sure--the more of us the better. ;-)
  • S
    Tragic bad luck, yes. And not as tragic as the alternative of living on in insufferable torment.
  • Agustino
    And not as tragic as the alternative of living on in insufferable torment.Sapientia
    What insufferable torment? Religion for me is full of joy! 8-)
  • S
    I wasn't referring to that, and that doesn't make it not a tragedy for me. I wouldn't trade what I've got for a joyful delusion of that scale.
  • Agustino
    I wouldn't trade what I've got for a joyful delusion of that scale.Sapientia
    And yet until a few seconds ago you were saying enjoyment is your biggest value. Sounds like you lied to us ;)
  • S
    Yes, biggest amongst other values, not at any cost. Otherwise if I'd have said something like "Knowledge", someone could have come back with, "But what if you were miserable?".
  • Agustino
    Yes, biggest amongst other values, not at any cost. Otherwise if I'd have said something like "Knowledge", someone could have come back with, "But what if you were miserable?".Sapientia
    Well to me, the value that holds most power in your life is the value that you're unwilling to sacrifice for anything else. So since you're willing to sacrifice enjoyment for some things, then I think enjoyment isn't your fundamental value, the one that holds most power in your life. Maybe your value actually is something else - like integrity.
  • S
    No, it's enjoyment. When I list those things I most value, that doesn't scream "integrity", it points to "enjoyment" loud and clear. I get enjoyment from my cat, my friends, reading about history, having a laugh, and so on and so forth. That's the life I want: doing the things I enjoy.
  • CasKev
    Survival
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.