• Fooloso4
    I don’t think in words.NOS4A2

I would be very interested in hearing you start a thread explaining how you think without words and how you understand the words you respond to without words,
  • NOS4A2

These later decisions have fashioned the principle that the constitutional guarantees of free speech and free press do not permit a State to forbid or proscribe advocacy of the use of force or of law violation except where such advocacy is directed to inciting or producing imminent lawless action and is likely to incite or produce such action.

I’d love for you to show me where these words are.
  • Fooloso4
    I’d love for you to show me where these words are.NOS4A2

They are not physical entities like words on a page that exist somewhere that can be shown to you. But words that are on the page or spoken are not, or at least should not, be independent of thought.

As is evident in much of what you say, the corollary to your claim to think without words it your using words without thinking.

Please explain how you think about concepts such as freedom, democracy, and autocracy without words.
  • RogueAI
    I don’t think in words.NOS4A2

You don't have an internal monologue/voice? Do you think Germany's DOW against America in 1941 was "just words"? Should death threats be legal?
  • NOS4A2

Words are independent of thought. It’s the reason we can’t understand a language simply by reading it or hearing someone speak it. Scratches on paper, text on screen, and articulated guttural sounds are arbitrary, merely conventional. It is not possible to deduce the underlying meaning from its word form.
  • NOS4A2

There are no voices in my head, no. Do you?
  • unenlightened
    There are no voices in my head, no. Do you?NOS4A2

That goes a long way to explaining the curious sensation one has in dialogue with you that one is talking to no one; that text is produced according to some algorithm that is entirely unaffected by the process of the dialogue.

Now me, when I look at the screen with your post on, it is as if you are talking to me. but it seems from what you say, that I nor anyone is talking to you.
  • NOS4A2

This is writing, not talking. I’m writing to you. Such a simple mistake that it’s no wonder your grasp on this and other topics is lacking.

Does the voice in your head tell you what to write?
  • Michael
    You don't have an internal monologue/voice?RogueAI

https://www.psychologytoday.com/gb/blog/intersections/202304/inner-monologues-what-are-they-and-whos-having-them

30-50% of people have inner monologues.
  • Baden

"Regularly" have. I'm shocked it's not close to 100'/. tbh. Let's take an unscientific poll here.
  • unenlightened
    This is writing, not talking. I’m writing to you. Such a simple mistake that it’s no wonder your grasp on this and other topics is lacking.NOS4A2

And literal minded as well. That I have already noticed. I'm sorry, I wasn't really addressing you to be honest.
  • NOS4A2

Is there a little narration going on up there? What does it sound like?
  • Baden
    And why would there be stories like this if this person is in the majority? I don't buy it.

www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/inner-monologue-experience-science-1.5486969
  • frank
    "Regularly" have. I'm shocked it's not close to 100'/. tbh. Let's take an unscientific poll here.Baden

I can if I want to. It's an odd sensation to turn it off and be aware that you're not letting it start again. It's like floating.
  • Baden
    Is there a little narration going on up there? What does it sound like?NOS4A2

It sounds like me saying "it sounds like me saying ''''It sounds like me saying. ..
  • NOS4A2

Metaphor is an overrated crutch. Used too often it comes to replace the truth.

No need to apologize.
  • Baden

I can turn it off too but usually requires effort. Have to concentrate on my body.
  • NOS4A2

So you hear your own voice. Interesting. Perhaps my malady is the reason I can refuse to overestimate the power of words. It explains a lot, really.
  • Baden

It's not exactly hearing it because it doesn't sound like sound but like silent sound. But I identify with it so it sounds like me, Bugger. Am I abnormals? :scream:
  • Baden
    Please tell me I am not abmarmalade.
  • Baden
    It's telling me what to write again. Stop it. STOP that. Heeeeeeeelp
  • NOS4A2

It sounds like you’re in a higher state of evolution. Or lower, depending on how you look at it.
  • frank
    So you hear your own voice.NOS4A2

The first person I met who had it all the time was German, and there's a German movie where you're hearing the inner voice of each person the camera travels over, so for a while I thought it might be a German thing.
  • flannel jesus
    you thought the experience of auditory inner monologue was a German thing?
  • NOS4A2

At least they won’t be lonely.
  • Fooloso4
    Words are independent of thought.NOS4A2

No, but you treat them as if they were.

It’s the reason we can’t understand a language simply by reading it or hearing someone speak it.NOS4A2

Not understanding a language does not mean the words of that language are independent of thought.

Scratches on paper, text on screen, and articulated guttural sounds are arbitrary, merely conventionalNOS4A2

This shows that there is more to words than just scratches and sounds. Your thinking that this is what words are is a damning indication of just how empty and meaningless your inept but endless defense of Trump and his use of "the best words" is.

I'll ask you again:

Please explain how you think about concepts such as freedom, democracy, and autocracy without words.Fooloso4
  • Michael
    If I have an inner monologue it’s definitely not auditory. I think for me it’s just micro tongue movements as if I was talking. When I focus on my tongue and try to keep it perfectly still I find that I can’t really think any words.
  • EricH

This has got to be the one of (if not the most) off topic discussions I can recall. :rofl: :joke: :lol:
  • NOS4A2

This shows that there is more to words than just scratches and sounds. Your thinking that this is what words are is a damning indication of just how empty and meaningless your inept but endless defense of Trump and his use of "the best words" is.

Then you should be able to show me this “more to words”, or point to any word in your lexicon of thoughts. But you won’t. It goes to show how you rely on your imagination too much.

Please explain how you think about concepts such as freedom, democracy, and autocracy without words.

I think about things, like words or concepts, but that does not entail that I think in things like words and concepts.
  • NOS4A2

Me too. Very subtle movements, perhaps tiny, inaudible but articulated expressions.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.