• Tzeentch
    "Oh I'm sorry you're to ignorant for me to explain please educate yourself".Echarmion

Note that I didn't refuse to explain. You'll find all the explanation you need in this very thread, with links, sources and all. I've probably written about a book's worth and can't be arsed to repeat it all. If you're unaware of US involvement in Ukraine I would suggest starting at page 1.

What an absolute asshole move.Echarmion

Sometimes being an asshole and simply being honest look very much alike.
  • ssu
    When has Putin stated he intends to turn Ukraine into a satellite?

Yes, there was a massive invasion.
    Tzeentch
    Hilarious.

You should learn yourself too about Russia's involvement in Ukrainian affairs before lecturing others.
    Viktor_Yanukovych__Vladimir_Putin_-_EDM_September_30__2011.jpg
    p06324tl.jpg
  • Echarmion
    Note that I didn't refuse to explain. You'll find all the explanation you need in this very thread, with links, sources and all. I've probably written about a book's worth and can't be arsed to repeat it all. If you're unaware of US involvement in Ukraine I would suggest starting at page 1.Tzeentch

Noo, you don't refuse, you're just requesting I read 520 pages to maybe figure out what the fuck you meant.

No, thanks. Pointing to "a books worth" of text as supposed explanation for a single sentence is a dishonest move, as you should know.

Sometimes being an asshole and simply being honest look very much alike.Tzeentch

No, I don't think they do. I think that this is rather too convenient an explanation.
  • Jabberwock
    Fantastic arguments. “No, opposite.” How tedious.Mikie

The actual arguments were right after that. Maybe you should read the whole paragraphs instead of just the first sentences, that would make our discussion much more efficient, as I would not need to repeat the same arguments and sources over again.

The European countries — from Britain to Germany to France, have basically taken orders from Washington for years.

It’s like asking if the US “controls” the UN.
    Mikie

Again: I was asking for evidence that the US controls the membership of the EU. Instead you just give your assertions again. That is exactly how this whole discussion with you: the only thing that you can bring to this dicussion are your strong beliefs, which do not seem to be supported by much evidence.

Except that was never said. I realize that’s what your mind has created, yes.Mikie

The exact words you have used were: 'But there wouldn’t have been invasion'. You seem to think that if you do enough backtracking, your previous statements should be erased: no, that is not the way it works.

Except I don’t say that. I’m not talking about “fault,” I’m discussing what Russian’s have stated over and over again, and which you ignore.Mikie

Russians have stated quite different things, as I have shown in our discussion, and their actions show something yet different, so maybe you should not focus only on what they said and in just particular periods.

No— Crimea did that.Mikie

So you acknowledge that the main support of your argument: Ukraine's military arming and training with NATO countries between 2014 and 2021 is not the US doing, but reaction to Russia's invasion. We are making a progress then.

And so we’re back to the beginning. What was the imminent threat from Russia in 2008 that NATO needed to expand to its borders? None.Mikie

The threat was not imminent, but it was definitely there, because nationalistic and imperialistic tendencies were always part of the Russian internal politics. In fact, as I have shown, the nationalistic rhetoric in the propaganda has significantly increased from 2004.

The claim you’re making is that Russia would have invaded anyway, regardless of US influence. Well, we won’t ever know, will we? But it’s a nice, unfalsiable story to tell to justify US imperialism. “Hey, they would have done it anyway, so might as well go ahead with it despite dire warnings.”

You acknowledge yourself that NATO was only one of the causes of Russia's aggression. This drove you to such absurd argument that the EU trade agreement is 'the US influence' as well. So your nice story that Russia would not invade if not for the US influence is even more unfalsifiable. Still, cries from the Russian propaganda 'Ukraine should not exist because it is an artificial country' do not seem to be related to the US influence, are they?

Perhaps the US should talk about including Taiwan as part of a military alliance, start training troops, offering supplies, etc. China has been clear about where it stands, but we should go ahead with it regardless, since China would probably start a war anyway.Mikie

And here you go again... You have this absurd idea that whatever happens in the world it is a doing of the superpower, 'because influence'. If Taiwan entered a military alliance, and started training troops and getting supplies, it would be the Taiwan's decision, not the US, just like it was Ukraine's decision after 2004, which you have acknowledged yourself. Ukraine did not start training troops and getting supplies because the US made them, but because of Crimea, which significantly increased the popular support for such actions.

“Ukraine will be a member of NATO”. This is at the NATO summit. Plans were set to be put in motion. It’s true that they weren’t, yes. But that set the stage for where we are today.

You’ve provided nothing equivalent prior to Bucharest.
    Mikie

That is an obvious and blatant lie, there is no putting it differently. I have given you about half a dozen of quotes and excerpts from the document which have shown that Ukraine was preparing to join NATO since 2002. It has entered the Action Plan, which was the first stage of structural and organizational preparations, it has entered the Intensified Dialogue in 2005, and the NATO-Ukraine Commission has been established, which main purpose was coordinating its accession. And you yourself said that the plans were the same since 1991, so how could they be 'set to be put in motion' in 2008? You keep contradicting yourself.

I don’t see how this is confusing. The Russian position on NATO was very clear — for years. So yes, a reaction to a renewed intent (even referring to the 2008 summit) to have Ukraine join NATO, as communicated in 2021, shouldn’t be a shocker. Quite consistent, in fact.Mikie

Lol. So now it is not 'the push', but 'the renewed intent'. But the intent was not 'renewed' either, as NATO was working with Ukraine on accession since 2002, with a short pause in 2006, as I have already shown.
  • frank
    That is exactly how this whole discussion with you: the only thing that you can bring to this dicussion are your strong beliefs, which do not seem to be supported by much evidence.Jabberwock

:up:
  • Mikie
    Again: I was asking for evidence that the US controls the membership of the EU. Instead you just give your assertions again.Jabberwock

Because it’s so obvious to me I feel that a) you’re being disingenuous or b) are so unaware of US power that explaining it in detail is a diversion. But as quickly as possible: no, there US doesn’t directly control membership in the EU. Europe does rely, however, on the US for their defense. That alone is a pretty big deal, to say nothing of economic leverage.

The exact words you have used were: 'But there wouldn’t have been invasion'. You seem to think that if you do enough backtracking, your previous statements should be erased: no, that is not the way it works.Jabberwock

As I said earlier: yes, you got me. I am indeed backtracking on that statement. I cannot be 100% certain that Russia wouldn’t have invaded anyway, even if NATO didn’t exist or there was no US involvement whatsoever. True. I don’t have a time machine.

So you acknowledge that the main support of your argument: Ukraine's military arming and training with NATO countries between 2014 and 2021 is not the US doing, but reaction to Russia's invasion. We are making a progress then.Jabberwock

What I’ve been trying to emphasize is the Russian perspective, right or wrong. That means whether the Ukrainians support NATO membership or not, whether the US is simply giving them what they want, whether the US is justified in arming Ukraine, etc. Maybe they are, maybe they aren’t, maybe it’s opportunistic — a good pretext for fighting a proxy war it wanted all along. I have my opinion on all of that. But that wasn’t the topic.

Right or wrong, I think the evidence — from our own government, from statements from the Kremlin, from scholarship — shows that US involvement was all over this conflict, and that Putin has been a very reactive leader.

The threat was not imminent, but it was definitely there,Jabberwock

Of what? Not of what’s only retroactively claimed now, of Russian imperialist ambitions.

You’re doing a lot of assuming. But there’s no evidence suggesting Russia was planning on conquering Ukraine or annexing parts of Ukraine prior to 2008. Making the push of NATO expansion rather odd. But we know why: the US had explicit plans for Eastern Europe. The goal was to make it a Western-style democracy.

The claim you’re making is that Russia would have invaded anyway, regardless of US influence. Well, we won’t ever know, will we? But it’s a nice, unfalsiable story to tell to justify US imperialism. “Hey, they would have done it anyway, so might as well go ahead with it despite dire warnings.”

You acknowledge yourself that NATO was only one of the causes of Russia's aggression.
    Jabberwock

Yes. The main cause in 2022— a secondary cause in 2014. These things are interconnected, as I’ve demonstrated repeatedly, with plenty of evidence.

So your nice story that Russia would not invade if not for the US influence is even more unfalsifiable.Jabberwock

True, as I mentioned above. I’ll retract that statement, given I don’t have a time machine— nor do you. But I do consider it unlikely to have happened without the US meddling.

If Taiwan entered a military alliance, and started training troops and getting supplies, it would be the Taiwan's decision, not the US, just like it was Ukraine's decision after 2004, which you have acknowledged yourself.Jabberwock

And once again you completely miss the point.

How would China react to this, based on what we know?

I’m not arguing whether Taiwan is right or wrong in their decisions.

You’ve provided nothing equivalent prior to Bucharest.
    — Mikie

That is an obvious and blatant lie, there is no putting it differently. I have given you about half a dozen of quotes and excerpts from the document which have shown that Ukraine was preparing to join NATO since 2002.
    Jabberwock

They applied for MAP in Bucharest, 2008. That’s very serious, for reasons articulated by Burns and others. I don’t see anything equivalent to that prior to Bucharest. However much you want to pretend 2008 was nothing different. It was different.

Russian internal politicsJabberwock

To take a broader view for a second. Perhaps it’s worth asking yourself why the US cares so much about Ukraine, to the tune of billions of dollars? Would it be fighting such a proxy war in Sudan?

Ukraine is strategically important to the US, as it is for Russia. Despite your dismissals, this is indeed a fight between two powers. Ukraine is caught in the middle, and wouldn’t survive a week without US military aid (or training). This bigger picture shouldn’t be overlooked.

We can go on believing in US benevolence and love of democracy, and that Washington really cares about the Ukrainian people. Or we can take the less comfortable path and take seriously what Russia says, and has said all along, about NATO’s actions and US influence. I see a lot of truth in it, despite my being against Russian aggression.

(The same is true of the current war in Israel, incidentally. It’s worth listening to the Palestinian people. Or we can take the easier route and claim there’s simply evil, similar to the story about Russia.)

You come back, over and over, to Russian “internal politics.” Let’s see what that means exactly, and get some evidence. Because otherwise it’s yet another vague claim.
  • Mikie
    Cohan put it better than I have (from 2010):

NATO expansion is not over for the Russians. It’s a reality. NATO is sitting on its borders. It’s not about future NATO expansion; it’s about current.

NATO expansion represents the following to Russia: It represents a profoundly broken promise to Russia, made by the first Bush, that in return for a united Germany in NATO, NATO would not expand eastward. This is beyond any dispute.

People say they never signed a treaty. But a deal is a deal. If the United States gives its word—unless we’re shysters, and if you don’t get it in writing, we’ll cheat you—we broke our word. When both Putin and Medvedev say publicly, to Madeleine Albright and others, “We, Russia, feel deceived and betrayed,” that’s what they are talking about.

So NATO represents on the part of Russia a lack of trust: You break your words to us. To what extent can we trust you?

Secondly, it represents military encirclement. If you sit in the Kremlin and you look out at where NATO is and where they want to go, it’s everywhere. It’s everywhere on Russia’s borders.

But there’s something even more profound that is a taboo in the United States. NATO expansion represents for the Russians American hypocrisy and a dual standard. They see it this way, and I can’t think of any way to deny their argument.

The expansion of NATO is the expansion of the American sphere of influence, plain and simple. Where NATO goes, our military force goes. Where NATO goes, our arms munitions go, because they have to buy American weapons. Where NATO goes, Western soldiers go, who date their women, who bring along their habits, and all the other things. It’s clearly, undebatably, indisputably an expansion of America’s sphere of influence.

So there has been a tremendous expansion of America’s sphere of influence since the mid-1990s, right plunk on Russia’s borders, with all the while, every American administration saying to Russia, including the Obama Administration, “You cannot have a sphere of influence because that’s old thinking.”

The Russians may be cruel, but they’re not stupid. In other words, what they say [America is saying] is, “We can now have the biggest sphere of influence the world has ever seen, and you don’t get any, not even on your own border. In fact, we’re taking what used to be your traditional sphere of influence, along with the energy and all the rest. It’s ours now”—again, this idea of a winner-take-all policy.

This is the enormous resentment in Russia. The relationship will never become a stable, cooperative relationship until we deal with this problem.

Does it mean Russia is entitled to a sphere of influence? I don’t want to think for Jack Matlock, but Jack thinks yes, depending on what you mean by “sphere of influence.” They can’t occupy countries. We had a Monroe Doctrine. But the point is that until this is worked out, the relationship will never truly be post-Cold War.

The problem is, it’s taboo in America to talk about this issue of who has a sphere of influence, who is entitled to it. I think there are solutions, but you can’t even get the question asked.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=204&v=mciLyG9iexE&embeds_referring_euri=https%3A%2F%2Fmronline.org%2F&source_ve_path=Mjg2NjY&feature=emb_logo
  • jorndoe
    Also check "demilitarization" (and "deNazification") demands. It's not about NATO specifically, it's about the Kremlin having control (or ownership). NATO is the most visible and (perhaps) likely to get in the way of that, though others could have.
    Additionally, Ukraine wouldn't be accepted into the EU if there was a genocide going on. They've gotten their share of attention/spotlight lately, historical and otherwise.
    These coincide:
    Euromaidan + the Revolution of Dignity;
    Russian military operations in Donbas, preceded by Russian "preparations" and other operations ⁽²⁰¹⁴ ²⁰¹⁵ ²⁰¹⁶ ²⁰¹⁸ ²⁰¹⁹ ²⁰²² ²⁰²² ²⁰²²⁾;
    Russian accusations of genocide in Donbas;
    "green men" in Crimea.
    Contours of (planned) moves of the largest country around, by Kremlin decree, more so than of Russian "defense" against NATO specifically.
  • Echarmion
    shows that US involvement was all over this conflict, and that Putin has been a very reactive leaderMikie

I think that's the main sticking point here: That you're willing to give Putin this huge benefit of the doubt, despite the statements he made re Ukraine (that it's not a real state and just an unnatural creation that really should be part of Russia).

You're saying we are retroactively applying intentions to Putin. That's true. But that's how assessing intentions always works.

It seems to me, and I suspect others here feel the same, that to call Putin's action "very reactive" is essentially absolving him of a significant share of blame. That, imho, is unacceptable.
  • javi2541997
    Additionally, Ukraine wouldn't be accepted into the EU if there was a genocide going on.jorndoe

They would not be accepted in any possible way. North Macedonia, Montenegro, Serbia, Albania, and Moldova are recognised candidates which cannot join the EU yet. They made a lot of efforts to join the club, especially Moldova with a huge tax reform or Serbia with a big reform on civil issues (such as being more empathic with gay marriages, for example).

Ukraine didn't do anything. Their 'potential' membership is just a stupid movement from the West to keep deteriorating Russia's interests and safety.

Article 49 of the Maastricht Treaty (as amended) says that any "European state" that respects the "principles of liberty, democracy, respect for human rights and fundamental freedoms, and the rule of law", may apply to join the EU.

Do you really think Zelensky's Ukraine fulfils those requirements?
  • jorndoe

[...] into the EU if [...]

2014 EU-Ukraine Association Agreement signed
    2017 EU-Ukraine Association Agreement in effect
    2022 EU Accession of Ukraine application
    2022 EU Accession of Ukraine candidacy accepted

Progress on 7 required reforms 2022 Feb 28 - 2023 Jun 22 (wartime)
    1. Constitutional Court   Good progress
    2. Judicial governance    Completed
    3. Anti-corruption        Some progress
    4. Anti-money laundering  Some progress
    5. De-oligarchisation     Some progress
    6. Media legislation      Completed
    7. National minorities    Some progress

• javi2541997
    Progress on 7 required reforms 2022 Feb 28 - 2023 Jun 22 (wartime)jorndoe

Yes, sure, they are capable of making progress during a war... :roll:
    The rest of the countries need years, even a decade. And these Ukrainian mates in just nearly two years are progressing... Are there any who really trust in such fictional data?
  • jorndoe
    , double down on "not be accepted in any possible way" and "didn't do anything", eh? :snicker: But, hey, we'll see, can't predict the future.

, oddly enough perhaps, the argument Stephen Cohen put forth (presumably on behalf of the Russian population) is more or less what you hear from nationalists (and some conservatives) regarding refugees and immigrants in many countries. Conversely, it's not so much what you hear from the population in Eastern European NATO member countries.
  • Echarmion

I think one can readily accept Cohen's analysis (which tracks with what I've read about Russia post 1991) without then arriving at the conclusion that NATO expansion was a main contributing cause of the 2022 invasion.

While the resentment and sense of hypocrisy was caused by western behaviour in the 90s and early 2000s, including of course the eastern expansion of NATO, it is not today simply a reaction to NATO. I think rather that the resentment (for which the West certainly deserves blame) has combined with other currents of Russian politics to form a toxic cocktail of nationalism, chauvinism, resentment and hybris.

And to say that this cocktail, which Putin represents, is essentially a reaction to NATO expansion is such a significant simplification and distortion that it has to be labeled false.
  • neomac
    It seems to me, and I suspect others here feel the same, that to call Putin's action "very reactive" is essentially absolving him of a significant share of blame. That, imho, is unacceptable.Echarmion

Or , worse, putting most of the blame on the US while discounting others parties' influence in shaping the relevant events and their perception (including Ukraine and EU).
  • Tzeentch

2015, by the way.
  • Tzeentch
    The tragedy of all of this is that you can scroll back to page 1 of this thread and find people predicting the very situation we are in today - with Ukraine being destroyed in an unwinnable war against Russia while being hung out to dry by the US.

Either this was obvious from day 1 to anyone who would look at the facts and the historical record, or that is an astonishing coincidence!
  • neomac
    Yes the guru spoke.
  • Echarmion

You mean people predicted Russia would invade Ukraine when Russia amassed an invasion Army at the border and started making demands?

Their foresight is amazing.

Edit: I would guess everyone here has seen at least one of Mearsheimer's talks. I don't think the disagreement is about the basic analysis of the situation so much as about what the Russian leadership actually thinks and intends.
  • neomac
    Edit: I would guess everyone here has seen at least one of Mearsheimer's talks. I don't think the disagreement is about the basic analysis of the situation so much as about what the Russian leadership actually thinks and intends.Echarmion

Don't worry they are going to re-post Mearsheimer's gospel again. The problem is that they are reading just the parts (skipping others, as much as Mearsheimer does) that are convenient to construe a strong moral case against the US, which plays in favor of Russia. And they are fine with that.
  • Tzeentch
    "Construe" :lol:
  • Echarmion

I don't think Mearsheimer even argued that it's simply NATO expansionism driving the Russian actions. He considers the expansion reckless and wrong headed, but iirc doesn't claim that Russia would be less belingerent towards its neighbours without it.

His position seems to be that the US shouldn't get involved in the region, since it's not vital to US interests, and should just allow Russia a free reign over it's neighbours. He makes no claim on what Russia intends to do with this freedom, or that this will be better for the people involved.

Within the framing of his realpolitik approach, I think the argument works. But it's focused only on avoiding a conflict between the big powers and doesn't support the argument that Russia wouldn't wish to incorporate (in some way) Ukraine if there was no NATO
  • Jabberwock
    Because it’s so obvious to me I feel that a) you’re being disingenuous or b) are so unaware of US power that explaining it in detail is a diversion. But as quickly as possible: no, there US doesn’t directly control membership in the EU. Europe does rely, however, on the US for their defense. That alone is a pretty big deal, to say nothing of economic leverage.Mikie

So the answer is:
    a) it is obvious b) actually, it does not

Your backtracking is definitely getting better! Because, as it has become the norm in our discussion, you have no means to support your bold theses. On the other hand, countering them is quite easy: you say that Germany and France are 'taking orders from the US', yet in Bucharest, in the supposedly most important matter for the US, they did just the opposite what the US wanted, which you have acknowledged.

But even if taken at face value, this claim goes against your argument: if membership in the EU is just joining the US camp (because it is so obvious!), then the great support of Ukrainians for joining the EU means that they wanted to be under the US hegemony, contrary to what you said. Is that correct?

What I’ve been trying to emphasize is the Russian perspective, right or wrong. That means whether the Ukrainians support NATO membership or not, whether the US is simply giving them what they want, whether the US is justified in arming Ukraine, etc. Maybe they are, maybe they aren’t, maybe it’s opportunistic — a good pretext for fighting a proxy war it wanted all along. I have my opinion on all of that. But that wasn’t the topic.

Right or wrong, I think the evidence — from our own government, from statements from the Kremlin, from scholarship — shows that US involvement was all over this conflict, and that Putin has been a very reactive leader.
    Mikie

It was very much the topic - we are dicussing whether the US involvement is the root cause of the conflict or not. And you seem to acknowledge that it is not - you finally begin to see that the main issue is Ukraine distancing itself from Russia. Sure, the US helps it to support its own interests, but removing the US influence would not remove the conflict itself.

Of what? Not of what’s only retroactively claimed now, of Russian imperialist ambitions.Mikie

That claim only shows your total ignorance. It would not be so annoying, that happens, if not for the fact that I have tried several times to correct it. At the end I have given several articles that show how utterly incorrect you are.

You’re doing a lot of assuming. But there’s no evidence suggesting Russia was planning on conquering Ukraine or annexing parts of Ukraine prior to 2008. Making the push of NATO expansion rather odd. But we know why: the US had explicit plans for Eastern Europe. The goal was to make it a Western-style democracy.Mikie

But it is not about evidence of imminent invasion, it is all about feelings, have you forgotten? In your argument it is enough for Russia just to feel threatened. By what you are saying now, Russia should not be threatened by NATO at all, because there is no evidence suggesting NATO was planning on conquering Russia or annexing part of it! The double standard is preposterous.

For your argument to hold water you would need to argue that Russia was more threatened by NATO aggression than Ukraine was threatened by Russia. But that is simply absurd. After 1990s the West did not have politicians demanding conquering Russia. Russia very much did have politicians demanding 'reunification' with former republics, who had significant impact on its policies.

Yes. The main cause in 2022— a secondary cause in 2014. These things are interconnected, as I’ve demonstrated repeatedly, with plenty of evidence.Mikie

So Russia has invaded Ukraine in 2014 for the main cause which was not NATO expansion. The conflict was ongoing since then, with different intensity. Your argument is now that Russia would likely not escalate it further if Ukraine did not arm itself in response to Russia's aggression. Do you realize how absurd that sounds?

They applied for MAP in Bucharest, 2008. That’s very serious, for reasons articulated by Burns and others. I don’t see anything equivalent to that prior to Bucharest. However much you want to pretend 2008 was nothing different. It was different.Mikie

The MAP would be the expected and planned third step in the ongoing process continuing since 2002. So yes, logically there was nothing equivalent before, because first the other two steps had to be taken. But it is absurd to say that step one and step two are not worth talking about, while the third step is suddenly a 'provocation'. That simply does not make sense.

To take a broader view for a second. Perhaps it’s worth asking yourself why the US cares so much about Ukraine, to the tune of billions of dollars? Would it be fighting such a proxy war in Sudan?

Ukraine is strategically important to the US, as it is for Russia. Despite your dismissals, this is indeed a fight between two powers. Ukraine is caught in the middle, and wouldn’t survive a week without US military aid (or training). This bigger picture shouldn’t be overlooked.

We can go on believing in US benevolence and love of democracy, and that Washington really cares about the Ukrainian people. Or we can take the less comfortable path and take seriously what Russia says, and has said all along, about NATO’s actions and US influence. I see a lot of truth in it, despite my being against Russian aggression.

(The same is true of the current war in Israel, incidentally. It’s worth listening to the Palestinian people. Or we can take the easier route and claim there’s simply evil, similar to the story about Russia.)
    Mikie

No, Ukraine is not 'caught in the middle'. It is for you, because you are so used to talk about imperlaiism, that you treat it nothing like a pawn, with no agency of its own. Ukrainians have voted for independence in 1991 and since then they try to get out of Russia's influence (of course, with some differences in opinions, especially between the regions). Many in Russia are opposing that, as they see Ukraine as part of the 'greater Russia', over which Moscow should dominate. That is the root cause of the conflict. The US decided to support them, for its own selfish interests, of course, I have never denied that. But the actual question is: without the US influence, would there be no conflict at all or simply there would be a conflict in which Ukraine would have less chance to succeed? I have strong reasons to believe the latter: the nationalistic (which in Russia is practically synonymous with 'imperialistic') tendencies in Russia have grown stronger since the fall of the USSR, which Putin has used to consolidate his power. 'Losing' Ukraine would be hard to swallow for many Russians - but it should not be their call.

You come back, over and over, to Russian “internal politics.” Let’s see what that means exactly, and get some evidence. Because otherwise it’s yet another vague claim.Mikie

Well, I have already given you a gist, which you have seemed not to absord. But sure, more sources are always better.

An article from 1994, when Russian nationalism was very much in the background (but still present):

There also is no question that many Russians view the loss of Ukraine and Belarus, which for centuries formed part of their country, as a tragic and temporary aberration that has split families while weakening Russia's military and economic might. Oleg Soskin, a Ukrainian economist, said that Russian nationalists such as Vladimir Zhirinovsky are not alone in decrying Ukrainian independence as a "misunderstanding"; many of his most liberal colleagues in Moscow universities and research institutes do so as well.UKRAINIAN VOTE RESULTS: NO MANDATE FOR MOSCOW

And this is from 2002. While it focuses mainly on those republics which remained within the RF, it is quite insightful as far as the possible directions of the politics are concerned. Note this particular passage in which the author describes the goals of what he calls the nationalistic mainstream (yes, there were worse):

The most immediate and urgent goal of the Russian people is the restoration of the mighty Russian state in its historical borders (in practical terms, the restoration of the Russian Empire). Since the West in general, and the United States in particular, strive to prevent Russia from achieving this goal, Russian foreign policy should become anti-Western and anti-American. In all, the political program of Russian nationalism is not only anti-democratic and illiberal, it is also revanchist.Contemporary Russian Nationalism between East and West

This one, from 2000, is also quite interesting:

https://www.hoover.org/research/lingering-dream-empire

And here one from 2003. Note that it ends with the following:

To this less democratic regime, the Kremlin has now added nationalism as the principle ideological theme, and helped to empower nationnalists as the political leaders on the rise. Under the control of the more moderate, Western-oriented Putin, the increasingly centralized, less pluralistic political regime in Russia today has not been deployed to carry out massive repression against the Russian people or threaten countries on Russia 's borders. But who takes power after Putin? The electoral results from yesterday suggest that the liberals have no chance, while the nationalists of a more virulent sort than Putin are up and coming. In their hands, the regime that Putin has built could become really threatening to the people of Russia , to Russia 's neighbors, and eventually to the West.The Era of Liberalism versus Communism in Russia Is Over

Ironically, the author sees Putin as moderate and Western-oriented and predicts that Putin's successors would adopt even more nationalistic (i.e. imperialistic) line. But Putin would have none of that: he himself reoriented his policies (as evidenced by the differences in his statements, which began our discussion) in that direction.

I remind you, the latest of those three is from 2003, when Putin has still appeared quite friendly and cooperative: so much for the 'retroactive story'. But those also pose the question: did Ukraine had a reason to consider Russia a threat, given the trends described there? I would very much say so.
  • neomac
    Within the framing of his realpolitik approach, I think the argument works.Echarmion

I doubt that his views about Ukraine can be easily located within the framing of his realpolitik approach which he called "offensive realism" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Offensive_realism). And there are some Mearsheimer's theory's explicit tenets that are worth reminding to support my skepticism about Mearsheimer's recent views about Ukraine:
    1. Great powers are security maximizers => so isolationism must no be expected as the most likely behavior from great powers.
    2. States can never be certain of the intentions of other states => so no matter how many declarations and promises are made, great powers will not fully trust each others.
    3. Geopolitics is not about moral condemnation but about understanding how states actually behave as a function of security dilemmas and actual capabilities => so "Why the Ukraine Crisis Is the West's Fault" and obsessing over "Russia's threat perception" (as if it is all that matters) may sound very misleading if we are talking geopolitics, especially within the realist framework.
  • Echarmion
    In the US, Jim Jordan seems to be inching closer to the speakership. This would seem a victory for the extreme right of the Republicans, and possibly a serious threat to Ukraine aid.

If he gets the speakership, will he try to be more inclusive or shut the US down until the demands of the small group of extremists are met?
  • jorndoe
    , there's plenty of blame to go around.
    (By the way, the thread established a while back that "Everyone bad". :grin:)
    Sometimes the road to hell is paved with good intentions; not trying at all is worse.

So, anyway, to what end?

There isn't an international conspiracy out to delete Russia(n culture), unlike the Kremlin trying to ditch Ukrainian culture (has also come up in the thread before).
    In this context, I'd be less concerned with McDonald's spreading all over sort of like a "capitalist virus" or "fυkɘrs stealing our women", and more concerned with democracy transparency freedom versus regression authoritarianism oppression.
    Opposing a "No" to the latter facilitates the latter.

North and South Korea, East and West Germany, Russia and Finland, ... Also China and the Uyghurs, theocracy and ceremonial constitutional monarchy, ...

3 lawyers arrested, 2 fled the country:

Navalny lawyer flees Russia, leaving opposition leader alone in court
    — Robyn Dixon · Washington Post · Oct 17, 2023

Not looking good for that guy.
  • ssu
    Actually a very good summary/update about the armoured warfare in Ukraine made by the UK tank museum. As they do these videos about their museum pieces (tank chats) for the general public, the representation is very understandable even for those who don't know much about tank warfare. They sum up very well what many haven't said: Ukraine has done basically probing attacks. Without air superiority, much else it couldn't do. The way how the fighting has developed in the war is very well represented:

• Count Timothy von Icarus
    The Russian losses at Avdiivka are grim. And yet another "deadline" has been set to secure the Donbas. I don't see how Russia's ability for offensive operations can recover, and yet clearly the calculus is that "more must be taken to make it worth it."
  • Jabberwock
    Well, there is this delicate problem that nobody in Russia knows what exactly they have annexed. On the anniversary of the 'referendum' different media published rather different maps...

If the annexed territories are supposedly within the former administrative borders of oblasts, then from their point of view Ukraine is occupying a large swath of them. That would mean that Russia does not have much choice but to fight until they are 'liberated'. (This interpretation also carries the unfortunate consquence that it clearly shows the supposed 'referendum' was bogus - there is no way the numbers could add up to what was officially announced, not that many people care).

On the other hand, if the new territories are within the borders of Russian occupation, then the state from what day should be taken into consideration? Is Kherson officially Russian in the Russian eyes or not? No official will say a word about it, Peskov asked about that has evaded the question, I think three times.
  • ssu
    I don't see how Russia's ability for offensive operations can recover, and yet clearly the calculus is that "more must be taken to make it worth it."Count Timothy von Icarus
    Oh I think it can recover. Every year brings a fresh new batch of conscripts and the Russian military industrial complex can chug out a limited number of tanks, guns and ammo. It will be likely more than the West provides Ukraine.

I think Russia could make an offensive let's say next year spring/summer.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment