• Hallucinogen
    I'd like to ask for a breakdown of the epistemology and ontology of all you atheists and theists while trying to keep things as simple as possible -- that means making some sweeping generalisations, so if you have a very nuanced view, please choose the general view that your view falls under.

An "improvised" glossary in the interest of keeping the number of options low:.

Empiricism - the only or primary source of truth or proving a theory is with data (e.g. sensory, experimental).
    Rationalism - the primary source of truth or proving a theory is with deductive reasoning from logical certainty.
    Materialism or dualism - consciousness is dependent on (dualism) or identical to (materialism) material processes such as movements of physical particles in electromagnetic fields (for e.g.).
    Idealism - consciousness is immaterial and ontologically primary, and material processes are particular kinds of ideas.
    Atheism - The lack of affirmation of or outright rejection of, God's existence.
    Theism - An affirmative belief in God.
    1. Choose from the following: I am a(n)... (9 votes)
        atheist, empiricist and materialist.
        78%
        atheist, empiricist and idealist.
        11%
        atheist, rationalist and materialist.
        11%
        atheist, rationalist and idealist.
          0%
        theist, empiricist and materialist.
          0%
        theist, empiricist and idealist.
          0%
        theist, rationalist and materialist.
          0%
        theist, rationalist and idealist.
          0%
  • Hallucinogen
    Please note materialism in the poll includes dualism
  • I like sushi
    Oh, sorry. I did not read your definitions properly. I guess my answer still fits ‘roughly’
  • Benj96
    None of these fit my personal viewpoint.
    I'm a material-idealism dualist (as in immaterial and material are simultaneous and mutually neccesary/complementary). I'm also a theist.
  • I like sushi
    None of them fit for me either but they did at least ask for closest answer.
  • Benj96
    That's fair yeah and hallucinogen was fairly thorough and methodical. I think it probs captures 80/85% of popular philosophical identities.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.