• Benj96
    So, you are now going for a god 'in our image' that has distinguishable parts?
    An anthropomorphised god, not a nebulous god entity?
    Why are humans so anthropocentric in their musings about the universe's origins?
    The anthropic principle indeed!
    universeness

Well I would argue the "god in our image" doesn't equate to god being human, it equates to the laws, physics, constants and principles that make the whole (the universe) being mirrored in what constitutes its parts (us as humans): chemical bonds, gravity, electrical phenomenon, the behavior of gases, water and its unique properties and solvent abilities, rhythmicity, cycles, replication/reproduction, natural selection, mutation, émergence of new qualities build upon a previous prototype.

Our make-up and becoming is not removed from that which is innate to how the universe behaves/becomes. Therefore our "image" reflected in the universe is that which we have come to ascertain as consistent enduring principles of nature.

To imagine God as human is absurd but to imagine human as a product of some elegant, extremely powerful and diversely potential universal principle, well that's a bit more palatable
  • Agent Smith
    Which is?universeness

What's the first thing that came to mind when you read the OP?
  • Benj96
    I were a god I would not make a creation in the first place.Tom Storm

I see. In what format would you choose to exist then? As an entity of pure mind/mentality and thought with no time, matter etc to sculpt your ideas in thr physical?
  • universeness
    What's the first thing that came to mind when you read the OP?Agent Smith

God doesn't exist.
  • universeness
    I were a god I would not make a creation in the first place.Tom Storm

That sound logical to me! Why would you have a need to, unless you suffer from some human style need to be worshipped. A narcissistic god seems so ridiculous.
  • Benj96
    Did you not suggest earlier that these options (death or non-existence) were not available to the god described in your OP. I don't see where antinatalism would come in.universeness

It depends on the "it" you're referring to. Antinatalism and suicide pertains to "it" as a human (part of the total "it" - perhaps the part with the capacity to be most aware of itself). "IT" (capitalised) as the entire universe, well, suicide and antinatalism is irrelevant to such an existent as it supposedly can never not be "IT".

In essence "death" is unique to living things. And the characteristics of living things are finite to specific animate objects, not the entire universe.
  • Agent Smith
    God doesn't exist.universeness

On target! I meant exactly that.
  • Benj96
    A narcissistic god seems so ridiculous.
    2m
    universeness

Doesn't narcissism require other selves? If a God was to exist as the entirety of everthing, to whom would it be being narcisstic for? As everything is self.
  • universeness
    To imagine God as human is absurd but to imagine human as a product of some elegant, extremely powerful and diversely potential universal principle, well that's a bit more palatableBenj96
    Good, I prefer god posited as a concentration of fundamentals, it gets us a step closer to the concept of a singularity or perhaps even a mindless spark with no intent that has no current existence. Could even play the role of the beginning of that which is now perhaps an eternal conformal cyclical cosmology as suggested by Roger Penrose. We could also use it as the spark of the multiverse etc. All good fun to muse over as is the OP. Good fun.
  • universeness
    A narcissistic god seems so ridiculous.
    2m
    — universeness

Doesn't narcissism require other selves? If a God was to exist as the entirety of everthing, to whom would it be being narcisstic for? As everything is self.
    Benj96

Yep, you got it! That's why a god would not create us because it would be an admission of its own narcissism.
  • universeness

Ok Mr Smith, I believe ya! I know you like the cryptic path
  • Vera Mont
    Why would you do any of that?universeness

To make up for the last god. Having experienced mortality in my own permeable skin, rather than through an intermediary, like the last guy, I have learned sympathy as well as antipathy for the mortals.
  • Benj96
    Yep, you got it! That's why a god would not create us because it would be an admission of its own narcissismuniverseness

Haha well I see your point. That being said, personally if a Creator wanted a bit of hype/bragging rights/look at what did vibes for their creation I can't say I wouldn't be completely impressed/amazed by it. Who else could do better?

If God is a narcisstic I don't really care because they would have made me, food, sex, entertainment, knowledge and love exist so I ain't complaining lol. All good things worth a compliment or two.
  • Vera Mont
    hat's why a god would not create us because it would be an admission of its own narcissism.universeness

To whom is a creator-god answerable? From whom would such an entity fear derision?
  • Tom Storm
    I see. In what format would you choose to exist then? As an entity of pure mind/mentality and thought with no time, matter etc to sculpt your ideas in thr physical?Benj96

I have no view on that. Only on creation.
  • universeness
    It depends on the "it" you're referring to. Antinatalism and suicide pertains to "it" as a human (part of the total "it" - perhaps the part with the capacity to be most aware of itself). "IT" (capitalised) as the entire universe, well, suicide and antinatalism is irrelevant to such an existent as it supposedly can never not be "IT"Benj96

This is your god posit Ben, you are the dictator of what IT IS. Does the god you posit have a body and a mind and other component parts or is it a concentration/undefined combinatorial of fundamentals?
  • Benj96
    This is your god posit Ben, you are the dictator of what IT IS. Does the god you posit have a body and a mind and other component parts or is it a concentration/undefined combinatorial of fundamentals?universeness

It's both of course. Why choose one part of the universe as a God posit over another?

Humans (with minds, bodies, prejudices, biases - as components of the whole) are a part of, and emerge from, the entire unit (a more vague, undefined combination of basic fundamentals and principles) which we can observe/measure.

We are a system with specific characteristics and defining features within a much larger system built of basic building blocks which underlie both itself and US as a fraction in and of itself.
  • Vera Mont
    Your area being all things right? As all things are by default a part of your godly self.Benj96

If I'm god, you don't get to set my parameters or my default. I am that I am and that's all that Iyam

If you enforce them what is to be said if free will?Benj96

Whatever they want to say about it. They always jabber about stuff they don't understand; it's harmless, keeps their mouths occupied when not eating.

Would they not all be slaves to your every command, unable to choose anything other than what is morally prudent by your means?Benj96

That's the only command I gave them. They're already subject to physics, chemistry and biology - that doesn't leave a whole lot of room for free will. What they've had, they've most abused.

Do you think humanity would be inspired by your great works or left feeling controlled and manipulated towards what is best?Benj96

Ask me again in 1500 years.
  • Benj96
    If I'm god, you don't get to set my parameters or my default. I am that I am and that's all that IyamVera Mont

Very true. I wouldn't get to set any of them ofc.

Whatever they want to say about it. They always jabber about stuff they don't understand; it's harmless, keeps their mouths occupied when not eating.Vera Mont

Haha. Witty, I like it :P

That's the only command I gave them. They're already subject to physics, chemistry and biology - that doesn't leave a whole lot of room for free will. What they've had, they've most abused.Vera Mont

Again very true! Opening my eyes here to something I ought to have seen as obvious.

Ask me again in 1500 years.Vera Mont

Perhaps I will :)
  • universeness
    To make up for the last god. Having experienced mortality in my own permeable skin, rather than through an intermediary, like the last guy, I have learned sympathy as well as antipathy for the mortals.Vera Mont

:rofl: What a great idea, An omnigod that can learn from the shortfalls of the previous god that held the position. Us mortals will be watching what you do god Vera! Remember what happened to that previous god you are typing about! :scream:
  • universeness
    If God is a narcisstic I don't really care because they would have made me, food, sex, entertainment, knowledge and love exist so I ain't complaining lol. All good things worth a compliment or two.Benj96

Don't forget your impending judgement, impending servitude in heaven or suffering in hell to add to any suffering you might have experienced here, including any bad food, bad sex, and bad entertainment you may have went through. Don't get me wrong, I have always and will always choose to live life and will never choose to live life as a curse, but god better not have an existent, as I for one will forever try to smack it as hard as I can wherever I think it will hurt it most. If god exists then it is a damn criminal.
  • Banno
    Three pages in three hours. Methinks you post too much.

Wannabes, all of you.
  • universeness
    To whom is a creator-god answerable? From whom would such an entity fear derision?Vera Mont

To its creation and from it's creation or else it's creation has no value to its creator and this would make the creator an idiot under any human rational judgement I can conceive of.
  • universeness
    We are a system with specific characteristics and defining features within a much larger system built of basic building blocks which underlie both itself and US as a fraction in and of itself.Benj96

You are an emerging panpsychist imo.
  • Vera Mont
    To its creation and from it's creation or else it's creation has no value to its creator and this would make the creator an idiot under any human rational judgement I can conceive of.universeness

So? Have you heard how they talk about one another's gods? Those are my ancestors they're maligning. Wash out their mouths with bleach, consign them to some kind of hell of their own imagining, or ignore them? Tough choice... Naw! easy choice. I'm a very lenient and forgiving despot: ignore them.
  • 0 thru 9
    Hmmm... sounds like a good idea for a movie. Oh wait... :grin:
    Excellent movie. This scene is one of the funniest things I’ve ever seen.

• Agent Smith
    Ok Mr Smith, I believe ya! I know you like the cryptic pathuniverseness

So it seems. We're, as someone said, human.
  • 180 Proof
    In essence, what sort of god would you define yourself as?Benj96
    If not an epicurean god, then I would be a god that uses 'my godly power' to do only one thing: by fiat I'd remove every anti-social pathology / aptitude from every sentient being, simultaneously, everywhere in the universe, and until 'the end of days' ... in order to make living a mortal life again significantly less of a letdown after such a brief apotheosis. :smirk:
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.