• T Clark
    The forum is not supposed to be used as a platform for spreading any poster's particular ideology.Baden

"Ideology" is another name for a philosophy you don't like.

I appreciate your response.
  • BC
    evangelistsJamal

The problem here is more monomania or monotony than evangelism.

I am not an antinatalist despite the grim prospects for generations following in a hot world. However, Shopenhauer1 has done a good job of elaborating the principle that is behind the decision of people to NOT bear children. But hot weather is just the latest pain. Before global warming there were equally bad prospects for suffering.

Maybe the erudite moderators could have come up with something a little more elegant than "life sucks". "Suck" is worn out; as an expression of dissatisfaction, it sucks.
  • T Clark

I remain skeptical of your sincerity.
  • Baden
    "Ideology" is another name for a philosophy you don't like.T Clark

Post 200 threads in succession on any philosophical topic you like and I'll learn to hate it pretty quick, thanks.
  • frank
    A lot of people here beat the same drum over and over. Doesn't mean they're evangelizing. They're probably just trying to work through something.

We should have an "All Metaphysics' thread, an "All Leftist Bullshit" thread, etc.
  • T Clark
    Post 200 threads in succession on any philosophical topic you like and I'll learn to hate it pretty quick, thanks.Baden

We should have an "All Metaphysics' thread, an "All Leftist Bullshit" thread, etc.frank

Funny, I was about to respond to Baden, ironically, that now I have to worry about a "Metaphysics Sucks" thread where all my brilliant insights will go to die. I'm pretty sure your suggestion isn't ironic.
  • Baden
    Next time maybe we'll just ban @schopenhauer1 instead of trying to be nice and just control his postings.

Thanks for feedback anyhow, guys. :up:
  • frank
    Next time maybe we'll just ban schopenhauer1 instead of trying to be nice and just control his postings.Baden

Sounds like you're getting annoyed with the situation.
  • Baden

Gave my explanation that it was primarily about the poster, not the topic. That was ignored in favour of more complaints about suppression of the topic. That's a little annoying but no biggie. Carry on.
  • frank
    That's a little annoyingBaden

Into every life, a little rain must fall.
  • universeness
    I personally think Schopenhauer1 has been treated very fairly by the moderators. Are two pulpits not enough for one topic?
  • Real Gone Cat

I was thinking they could have named it after the old Saturday Night Live skit "Debbie Downer".
  • Baden
    Into every life, a little rain must fall.frank

When life hands you lemons... :wink:

628k83s444m12xdd.jpg
  • universeness

:up: 200 pulpits to evanhellise on one topic in expecting a little too much.
  • Hanover
    That cartoon I get, but still don't know why the shirtless woman had her hair straight up.

Can you make me a cartoon with a breast bearing fish with its hair straight up? Maybe that will clarify things for me.
  • Manuel

It's about 3 or 4 of them, mostly. But, I mean, what's the point? Like, you want to depress everybody? Read the news.

You suffer so much in life? Then there is a way out, nobody is stopping you.

Jeez, it's hard to think of a topic on the internet in which the serious reply "kill yourself" wouldn't be taken as a threat.
  • universeness

third frame? 'How's your what? stapling? I googled it and got:
    Stapling means your existing super account automatically follows you when you change jobs.
    ???
  • Baden
    Can you make me a cartoon with a breast bearing fish with its hair straight up? Maybe that will clarify things for me.Hanover

Must be a reflection of my slightly deranged state of mind that I'm seriously considering that.

10vwa3u5t71ay2si.jpeg

It's about 3 or 4 of them, mostly. But, I mean, what's the point? Like, you want to depress everybody? Read the news.Manuel

The topic is philosophically established and acceptable but the posting behaviour pushes the boundaries of the guidelines to say the least.
    Attachment
    stapler (11K)
  • Manuel

It is, and I agree. I do think you are being sensible here, I've protested once or twice before, but you guys do pretty good work by and large, in my opinion.

Beyond a point, there are diminishing returns on this topic.
  • Baden
    Stapling means your existing super account automatically follows you when you change jobs.universeness

Sounds like the plot of a postmodern horror movie. :lol:
  • universeness

I can only wish you the best of luck in trying to understand the logic put forwards by antinatalists.
    I personally find it one of the most ridiculous idea's a human has ever come up with.
    But as @Baden has already stated, the moderators action was about the attempt to flood the main debate area with anti-life threads, or at least over-represent the topic of anti-life in the main debate area. It was not an action to prevent the topic itself being debated.
  • Manuel

And it makes sense, because it is essentially the same thought presented in slightly different ways, which can go one forever.

And it is a very narrow topic too, not much to add once the arguments have been established.
  • universeness

:lol: Spelling is not one of my strongest skills. I have no idea why my brain did not connect to stapling paper! Frame two is very clever but I now don't get frame 3 even more.
    They have to get the vote out so they have to create pamphlets/flyers etc. So fish asks other fish "how's your stapling", other fish responds with 'I knew this would happen.'
    The issue is around pessimism so ........
    OH! I think the penny just dropped! is the message that expecting fish to staple is as ridiculous as expecting sentient lifeforms to vote for their own extinction!!!!!
    Am I correct?
  • universeness

Could not agree with you more, then the proponents try to enhance the topic or try to defibrillate the topic, by conflating their irrational posits with propositional logic or some bizarre perceptions of some ideal, absolutely pure form of human morality when no such pure form exists.
  • DingoJones
    Can we consolidate some threads into a “beating a dead horse” thread? We can start with this one. :wink:
  • universeness

The more important issue is, did you get @Baden's cartoon before me?
  • universeness
    That cartoon I get, but still don't know why the shirtless woman had her hair straight up.Hanover

Is it not traditional that your hair stands on end when you are terrified by what you are looking at or is that viewpoint rather pessimistic?
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.