• Michael
    The parenthesis “and all contents therein” is simply a way to weasel out of constitutional violations and other incompetent or corrupt moves, such as taking Trump’s passports.NOS4A2

So you think the search warrant itself is unconstitutional. Well, Trump's legal team can try to appeal it if they want, not that it will do any good now.
  • NOS4A2

No I think it was ironic and wrong to take Trump’s passports.
  • Michael
    No I think it was ironic and wrong to take Trump’s passports.NOS4A2

If it's not an unconstitutional search warrant then they had the legal right (and so it isn't stealing) to take Trump's passports if they were contained within a box that contained documents marked as classified.

This really isn't difficult to understand.
  • NOS4A2

Legal or not, it just goes to show their incompetence or corruption. They were there for classified documents and walked out with personal documents. Pretty basic stupidity
  • Michael
    Legal or not, it just goes to show their incompetence or corruption. They were there for classified documents and walked out with personal documents. Pretty basic stupidityNOS4A2

It's not incompetence, corruption, or stupidity. The search warrant told them to take the box and so they take the box. They're carrying out proper procedure. Your rhetoric here is neither reasonable nor convincing.
  • NOS4A2

Then why did they return the passports? Because they shouldn’t have taken them. In this case the contents wasn’t theirs to take, and they knew it. Corruption, incompetence, stupidity.
  • Michael
    Then why did they return the passports? Because they shouldn’t have taken them.NOS4A2

Because they shouldn't keep them. This really is quite straightforward stuff.
  • Relativist
    Then why did they return the passports? Because they shouldn’t have taken them. In this case the contents wasn’t theirs to take, and they knew it. Corruption, incompetence, stupidity.NOS4A2
    Are you under the impression that that when objects are taken in a search warrant, law enforcement operates with perfection regarding what they seize? My guess is that it's pretty common to inadvertently take things that weren't intended. No harm was done, because the 3 passports were returned.
  • Michael
    Trump’s claim that FBI “stole” his three passports turns out to be “nothing like what Trump said”

"In executing search warrants, the FBI follows search and seizure procedures ordered by courts, then returns items that do not need to be retained for law enforcement purposes," an FBI spokesperson told NBC.

So exactly what I said. They take the boxes then check the contents and return what they need to.
  • Fooloso4
    From the salon article cited by Michael:

"Whatever we can do to help — because the temperature has to be brought down in the country. If it isn't, terrible things are going to happen," Trump said, adding that people "are not going to stand for another scam."

Rather than bring the temperature down, Trump turns it up, making threats, calling the investigation a scam, and signaling his followers to not stand for it, but says nothing to condemn the threats made by his followers on the FBI and DOJ.
  • Benkei
    You misunderstand his quote. Terrible things might happen to Trump. Terrible things happening to others aren't part of his moral calculus. The temperature going down is about the DOJ and FBI backing off and only they are responsible for the current temperature. He was so drunk on power that the idea of him having done anything illegal as president doesn't compute.
  • Tate
    Terrible things might happen to Trump.Benkei

He was threatening insurrection.
  • Benkei
    That's not terrible, that would've been justice and the right order of thing especially if that traitor Pence got killed. At least, that's how I imagine Trump's thoughts go to the extent he has them.
  • Tate

I don't think you're fluent in dum-ass-demogogue. :grin:
  • Benkei
    I'd hope not! :rofl:
  • Fooloso4
    You misunderstand his quote.Benkei

I don't think so. This is an example of "Trumpspeak". He said it in such a way as provide plausible deniability, but we know how his supporters are reacting. As the article noted: "Even Trump's allies on Fox News have urged him to tamp down the "violent rhetoric" amid his verbal assault on the FBI."

I agree, however, that he would not think an insurrection terrible, but he is well aware that those who are not his followers and those who do not wish the overthrow of the government would see it as terrible or even terrorism.
  • baker
    First step on the road to the slammer.Metaphysician Undercover

But if Trump will in fact face punishment (including jail time), what does that mean for America?
    A civil war, for sure.
  • javi2541997
    But if Trump will in fact face punishment (including jail time), what does that mean for America?
    A civil war, for sure.
    baker

Don't be too panicky...
  • 180 Proof
    July 2022: At least our "British cousins" have (so far) dodged their own bullet. :up:

Recap (in light of treasonous Individual-1's pending indictments in multiple jurisdictions) & still-relevant caveat:

Jan 2017: faux 'Weimar '33 redux' ... first impressions :sweat:
  • Merkwurdichliebe
    A civil war, for sure.
    baker

Civil war...we can only hope. Unfortunately, just like nothing happened to Bush and Cheney for indisputably being outright war criminals, nothing will happen to Trump for all of his vague quasi-criminal offenses (which every president is more or less guilty of).
  • Mikie
    Prediction:

Nothing will happen to Trump.
  • 180 Proof
    Nothing will happen to Trump.Xtrix
    Won't he die someday?
  • DingoJones

He lives an extra 30 days every time someone says “he’s going to jail” and he doesnt go to jail. Currently clocked at 600 more years.
    But seriously, and Im no Trump guy, but how many times have you steadfastly predicted his downfall and been wrong? Am I misremembering? Is it possible you aren’t clearly thinking it through each time?
  • Mikie
    Won't he die someday?180 Proof

“The good die young…but pricks live forever!”
  • NOS4A2

Victim: "The Stasi spied on me."

Stasi Spokesman: "All of it was above board.”
  • 180 Proof
    I believe you're misremembering, or confusing me with someone else.

update:

[H]ow many times have you steadfastly predicted his downfall and been wrong?
    After a quick search of my post history, DJ, I'm batting 1.000 so far. Only within the last eight days have I "steadfastly predicted his downfall"; previously, my predictions ranged from aspirational to qualified. However, since Individual-1 left the WH in 2021 after a failed coup and second Impeachment in 13 months:

• 2021 prediction on 2022 indictments
    https://thephilosophyforum.com/discussion/comment/559282

• 2021 year-end predictions for 2022-2024
    https://thephilosophyforum.com/discussion/comment/629464

• 2021 comments on insurrection and disqualification from Federal office:
    https://thephilosophyforum.com/discussion/comment/486293

• 2022 prediction about indictments & the 2024 elections
    https://thephilosophyforum.com/discussion/comment/689938

• 2022 prediction since the August 8th search warrant
    https://thephilosophyforum.com/discussion/comment/728272
  • Pierre-Normand
    Victim: "The Stasi spied on me."

Stasi Spokesman: "All of it was above board.”
    NOS4A2

Newt Gingrich is currently touring right wing media, saying that the FBI is totally corrupt and has now become the new American Stasi. This greatly confused Margorie Taylor Greene who thought the FBI rather was the new Gazpacho police.
  • NOS4A2

Sounds about right. The FBI has such a sordid past that it boggles the mind that anyone could trust them.
  • Mikie
    Listen to the Trump apologists coming out against law and order, law enforcement, etc., after promoting it for years.

Outcries about George Floyd protests. They race to defend the Capitol rioters. Outage about “defund the police,” now calling to defund the FBI. Also instigating violence and fantasizing about civil war.

Empty people with no principles whatsoever. Not even the self awareness enough to recognize the extreme hypocrisy. As pathetic as ever.
  • Pierre-Normand
    Sounds about right. The FBI has such a sordid past that it boggles the mind that anyone could trust them.NOS4A2

Sounds about right? Your and Gingrich's positions about the FBI's history are nearly polar opposites. Gingrich has always been a tough on crime pro law enforcement kind of guy. He never bat an eyelid when they investigated Bill or Hillary Clinton. He only turned on the FBI when they (and the justice department) stopped treating Trump himself as being above the law. You, on the other hand, are saying that the FBI always has been untrustworthy and what is happening now is more of the same.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.