• Agent Smith
    How do we know that Nancy Pelosi's Taiwan trip isn't designed to make big sums of money for her and her husband?

Killing two birds with one stone. Smart woman this Nancy Pelosi! Hope her plans work out for her, her husband, and her family.
  • dclements
    It should be obvious that in such a scenario the United States may not want to defend Taiwan if it means sparking WWIII, hence they pursue strategic ambiguity.Tzeentch
    If one is the biggest super power in the world and wishes to remain so, they must be willing to defend themselves (and their allies) against all potential advisories at any given time. It has nothing to do if they really want to fight or in the mood for it on any given day, it is about it being a given that at any moment if they let themselves look weak enough for a potential enemy to strike and/or take advantage of any weak link in their global defense strategy then said enemy will most likely use it.

It is plausible for a country to be able to pick and choose which enemies/conflicts they get involved with and for certain countries it is possible for them to either be (or become) one of the biggest super powers in the world, but it is more or less a given that is a country that is a super power can not be afraid to get into conflicts and remain a super power for long.

You called Taiwan a trivial issue for the Chinese, which it clearly is not.

Thereby you are making the same mistake as the West has made in Ukraine. Assuming things to be trivial, when the reality is that Russia was prepared to go to war. Taiwan is of similar importance to China. The fact that the issue has been hot for over half a century should tell you enough.

You need to read my posts more carefully.
    Tzeentch

If you can find a post where I said Taiwan is a trivial issue I will believe you but since it is very unlikely that I did that (and even if I did it would have either been a typo, or just a sentence that I said something else but you are interpreting it to make it say what you want to believe it to say).

And because it is a given that I'm more of an authority of what I actually believe, think, and say, I think I can safely say I'm in a much better position than you to say what is true or not true when it comes to what I actually think. After all I have 40+ years of dealing with what/who I am where as you have maybe 10 minutes of knowing who am and what I might be thinking merely from reading a post of two I have wrote.

Because countries cannot make navies out of thin air.Tzeentch
    I don't know where you get that idea. Germany attacked Poland in 1939 by making the people in Germany think that Polish soldiers where trying to at a German radio station. The US started the second war with Iraq in 2003 under the pretense that Iraq was "working on weapons of mass destruction", and Russia started a war with Ukraine this year under the pretense that the people of Ukraine were abusing/"terrorizing" it's Russia speaking (and/or those with Russian background) citizens.

In each of these three instances the powers that be in each country manufactured "navies out of thin air" because the country they wanted to attack were not stupid enough to do something that would give them a good enough reason for them to be able to go to war with them. And because they didn't have a good reason to start a war, they merely turned to some spin doctors and/or other "creative" military operatives. In Nazi Germany they went so far as to dress political prisoners as Polish soldiers and shoot them in order to have "proof" that the Polish army did attack.

IMHO, it is actually pretty easy for the powers that be in almost any country to manufacture an incident/reason/pretense for starting a war when there isn't already a real reason to attack. All that they really need is the will to go through with it. Whether the public buys it is another story, but my guess is that if a near majority already supports going to war then it usually isn't that hard to get the public to shallow any reason/lie they try to sell to the public.

Also while it really isn't the topic of this thread, there is a propaganda methodology called the "Big lie" which is used to do things (such as fabricate reasons for going to war when there isn't any) by using various brain washing technique. Understanding such issues might help someone to have more insight into these issues and why it isn't that hard for a country to manufacture a reason to go to war when the country they want to start a war with won't give them one.

Gleiwitz incident - Germans false flag operation to invade Poland
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gleiwitz_incident

Hitler - Big lie
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_lie
  • dclements
    How do we know that Nancy Pelosi's Taiwan trip isn't designed to make big sums of money for her and her husband?Agent Smith
    I guess we don't really know if she and her husband somehow made tons of money on the trip, but then again we really don't know if he trip was just another piece of the Saurian's plans to gain more power to help them get control over the governments around the world and eventually allow them to rule over all of us.
  • Changeling
    This thread sounds like the sequel to Big Trouble in Little China
  • Agent Smith
    I guess we don't really know if she and her husband somehow made tons of money on the trip, but then again we really don't know if he trip was just another piece of the Saurian's plans to gain more power to help them get control over the governments around the world and eventually allow them to rule over all of us.dclements

:smile:

You never know, you never know. Let the profits made speak for themselves.
  • Manuel
    PLA extends 'Taiwan encirclement' exercises; 'Drills will not stop until reunification'

https://www.globaltimes.cn/page/202208/1272446.shtml
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.