• Benj96
    Suppose you woke up one day and went downstairs to find the final broadcast repeating on the tv or radio - a transmission describing some extremely abrupt apocalyptic devastation of the entire human race. It dawns on you that for some exceedingly random chance of fate you’re the only person who survived, what would you do?

The crux of this question is how much value do you place on existing amongst others - of not being entirely alone?

Would you find it an intolerable state of affairs incompatible with continuing your own life - no love, no sex, no children (assuming you’re male because sperm banks would still exist I guess), no human companionship.
    Would you end it all immediately?

Or perhaps, would you find it liberating and decide to do all the things society and law would have previously prevented you from doing - raid the malls, drive Ferrari’s down long stretches of road, detonate some ballistics just to see a building or several come crashing down.

Would you invent imaginary friends, escape into film, music and literature to try to “stay connected” with the what’s left of “other minds” or try to find an AI or pet dog or animal to talk to and befriend.

Would you hone your survival skills and try to survive alone for as long as possible - with a stockpile of medicines, and medical, engineering textbooks etc, non perishable foods, all the fuel and generators and resources available to you.

Or, would you wander aimlessly exploring the earth by foot or by whatever vehicle you can Hotwire, maybe trying to find your piece of paradise in solitude, maybe in denial trying to find survivors.

Maybe you would hope that some future “kind” may stumble upon humanities remains - could you dedicate this final life to compiling a legacy of your species to pass on - a time capsule in case sentient life comes by again?

What would you do and why?
    I think I myself would live for some years doing some of these things I mentioned above before - In a desperate attempt to pursue some form of solitary hedonism - self medicating and likely passing away finally from overdose in a state of peace and euphoria.
  • Athena
    Why would assume I am the only one to survive? If I survived I am quite sure others have as well. I am not sure my first effort would be to find others because my first thought is to preserve information on the chance others survived and will need that information. Other priorities would be sending out a radio signal and a light signal on the chance other survivors will hear or see it and will come. Of course, to do that, I must have electricity. I pray I can find information for maintaining my source of energy. If I am close to a nuclear plant, I must be sure it has water because it will melt down and make the area inhabitable if it is not cooled with water.

I worked alone at night as a janitor and I have talked to things and myself ever since. Everything we use, works better when we talk to it. :lol: I would give more thought to a sense of reality that people had when they thought everything has a spirit. I am so sure that is wrong. It goes with believing our purpose is to keep nature healthy. That is I would work on my relationship with everything around me, and I think I would gather mannequins for dinners and meetings. What a wonderful opportunity to create an imaginary ideal reality.

Bottom line, I would be very busy. Question, do any animals survive? Keeping plants and animals alive can be a sense of purpose and having a sense of purpose is motivation to live.
  • Ciceronianus
    I'd keep living until living became intolerable, for one reason or another. Lot's of things to do and see, assuming there's food and drink and shelter. A Ferrari would be nice as well, assuming there's gas available.
  • javi2541997

I am so sure that is wrong. It goes with believing our purpose is to keep nature healthy. That is I would work on my relationship with everything around me, and I think I would gather mannequins for dinners and meetings. What a wonderful opportunity to create an imaginary ideal reality.

Your image of reality is full of aesthetics and honour. Let me be honest with you, I tend to make similar actions as yours. I never thought on mannequins (very good idea though) but other elements around me. Developing contact with everything which is around us is important to ensure a meaningful life.
    For example: I have scheduled in my Google calendar all the "big moons" that appears in 2022. Whenever this day comes, I look so precisely the moon above my house. This situation gives some vibes of writing some poems or stories, but when I finish them I feel they are not well enough.
    Nevertheless, I still think it is important to put an anime to all the elements.

I am inspired by Japanese tradition of shinto (神道): Shinto is polytheistic and revolves around the kami, supernatural entities believed to inhabit all things. The link between the kami and the natural world has led to Shinto being considered animistic....
    In Shinto, kannagara ("way of the kami") describes the law of the natural order, with wa ("benign harmony") being inherent in all things
  • L'éléphant
    The crux of this question is how much value do you place on existing amongst others - of not being entirely alone?Benj96
    I wouldn't dwell on it. I wouldn't have a choice. But I would prefer not to be alone. That said, I would be the representative of humanity. I'd try to exist for as long as possible for winning this impossibility.
  • Athena
    Your image of reality is full of aesthetics and honour. Let me be honest with you, I tend to make similar actions as yours. I never thought on mannequins (very good idea though) but other elements around me. Developing contact with everything which is around us is important to ensure a meaningful life.
    For example: I have scheduled in my Google calendar all the "big moons" that appears in 2022. Whenever this day comes, I look so precisely the moon above my house. This situation gives some vibes of writing some poems or stories, but when I finish them I feel they are not well enough.
    Nevertheless, I still think it is important to put an anime to all the elements.

I am inspired by Japanese tradition of shinto (神道): Shinto is polytheistic and revolves around the kami, supernatural entities believed to inhabit all things. The link between the kami and the natural world has led to Shinto being considered animistic....
    In Shinto, kannagara ("way of the kami") describes the law of the natural order, with wa ("benign harmony") being inherent in all things
    javi2541997

I think those thoughts are better for survival if our man-made world crashes, than the thinking of neigh sayers who refuse to think that way.

Hum, what you say makes me wish I could live with the Japanese who maintain those concepts. I might have a better sense of belonging with them. There is so much I can not talk about in the west because the western mind is so closed.
  • 180 Proof
    Your scenario reminds me of the novel
    Wittgenstein's Mistress. Personally, I'd probably wind up like the character in that old Twilight Zone episode obsessively reading books (and, if possible, listening to music) for as long as I can.

Why would assume I am the only one to survive? If I survived I am quite sure others have as well.Athena
    :up:
  • Fooloso4
    What one find tolerable or intolerable is not something that must be put to the test. Whatever it is one might be able or unable to cope with has no definitive bearing on what would happen, which might change in time.

I imagine I would spend at least some time and effort trying to find out if I was truly alone, but from where I sit now I don't think the search would be desperate.

One advantage is that I could post on TPF without anyone contradicting anything I said.

Added: Although I might contradict myself.
  • javi2541997
    what you say makes me wish I could live with the Japanese who maintain those concepts. I might have a better sense of belonging with them. There is so much I can not talk about in the west because the western mind is so closed.Athena

:up: :100:
  • javi2541997
    I imagine I would spend at least some time and effort trying to find out if I was truly alone, but from where I sit now I don't think the search would be desperate.Fooloso4

Interesting point of view. Are you referring to the fact of having empirical proofs of being alone?
    Because an individual can feel be alone even when he is surrounded with people around.
  • Fooloso4

Not empirical proof that I was alone, but pursuing the possibility I was not alone. Yes, someone can feel alone even when other people are around.

the kami, supernatural entitiesjavi2541997

To the western way of seeing things they are supernatural, but in Shinto they are part of the natural world.
  • BC
    This idea has been explored in novels. My favorite is Earth Abides by George Stewart, 1949. The lead character is alone for quite some time, and only a few other people are found. Other novels stick to your plot idea -- one person and one person only.

I indulge the fantasy every now and then, wondering what I would do. Not much, actually. Without human attendants, our supporting infrastructure and technology would fall apart very fast. It wouldn't be long before the electrical systems failed, and then tap water. It would be VERY quiet. For a little while, say in the summer, it might be pleasant, or at least interesting.

I would not expect, or wish, to live very long after waking up totally alone. Even as a not too social person, I engage with other people every day, one way or another.

Pets? One would not have to look for a pet: the pets of every disappeared person would be out looking for a human, hungry for company, food, water, and comfort.
  • Agent Smith
    Survival mode, or horde mode, is a game mode in a video game in which the player must continue playing for as long as possible without dying in an uninterrupted session while the game presents them with increasingly difficult waves of challenges. — Wikipedia
  • javi2541997
    To the western way of seeing things they are supernatural, but in Shinto they are part of the natural world.Fooloso4

Exactly and this is one of the aspects I really like about the Japanese culture. The way they respect the natural world. Japanese tend to have an awareness of the place the live in and try to conserve it the best they can.
    Shinto tries to explain that all the things around us have a meaning.
    There are a lot of examples such as florist or the keeper of a port. They work with a different spirit and subtle.
  • Fooloso4

Off topic so I will keep this brief. A few things that have shaped western views:

The "pre-Socratic" search for what is first or elemental - fire, water, air, earth, Mind.
    The God of the Hebrew Bible who creates the natural world.
    The Christian idea of the conquest of nature.
  • javi2541997

At least, the pre-Socratic doctrine was related to nature and the search for a connection towards it: fire, water, air, earth, wind, etc...
    But since Hebrew Bible or so called old testament, it looks like all depends on a supranatural figure who decides as a judge in a court what is "good" and what is "worng".
    In my humble opinion, I guess it is a backwards way of witnessing our lives but I respect there are a lot of people who believe in religion
  • Athena
    Agent SmithAgent Smith

Survival mode, or horde mode, is a game mode in a video game in which the player must continue playing for as long as possible without dying in an uninterrupted session while the game presents them with increasingly difficult waves of challenges. — Wikipedia

I think I would like that game if it represented reality well. I have often enjoyed pondering survivalist ideas. I so wanted to live off the grid but I had a husband who used his intelligence to know why something can't be done, instead of how to get it done. :angry: Today survivalist thinking for me is pure fantasy. I no longer have a user-friendly body and dread the thought of not having all my comforts.
    I really hate to see the disabled and elderly homeless people. Perhaps the first thing I should look for if I am the only person is good steroids. :rofl: It would be great to feel like did long ago.

Remember the movie Waterworld? One guy who was by himself was a little nuts. Some homeless people become like feral cats and then they can not reenter mainstream society. The movie Passengers is about a spaceship traveling to another planet and everyone is in hibernation. Except one guy's module opens and he is the only person awake for 3 years and finally, he opens a woman's module because he is desperate for human interaction.
  • Athena
    At least, the pre-Socratic doctrine was related to nature and the search for a connection towards it: fire, water, air, earth, wind, etc...
    But since Hebrew Bible or so called old testament, it looks like all depends on a supranatural figure who decides as a judge in a court what is "good" and what is "worng".
    In my humble opinion, I guess it is a backwards way of witnessing our lives but I respect there are a lot of people who believe in religion
    javi2541997

That change in mentality totally distorts our democracy. Ideally, our morals are based on a good understanding of nature and cause and effect, and good manners. We are compelled to do the right thing when we understand what that is. I know Aristotle argued we intentionally violate the rules and do the wrong thing, but that thinking is poor thinking because logically doing the wrong thing leads to trouble. That is why it is wrong. Look at the mess the US is in because it violated human rights and practiced slavery. Or how about global warming and the possibility that our young will not have the good lives we took for granted believing a God takes care of us. The problem is our neighbors who anger the God, who is now angry and instead of heaven on earth, we are getting hell on earth. :rofl:
  • javi2541997
    Look at the mess the US is in because it violated human rights and practiced slavery. Or how about global warming and the possibility that our young will not have the good lives we took for granted believing a God takes care of us. The problem is our neighbors who anger the God, who is now angry and instead of heaven on earth, we are getting hell on earth. :rofl:Athena

Paradoxically, all of those who committed slavery to others are the same who blessed the name of God. Landlords and white supremacist have always been in the side of "holiness" or "God"
    This is why I am critical towards the image or idea of God (catholic, Hebrew, Muslim, etc...) because it feels like it is used to pursue some power against others. It is a selfish thought or belief. If we do not believe in God or Christianity we have some chances of being prosecuted or lynched.
    I always called "God" as the cosmical dictator for these reasons.

I rather being in Shinto or Asian philosophy side. At least they tend to find an equilibrium or inner peace with nature without impositions.
  • Jamal
    I rather being in Shinto or Asian philosophy side. At least they tend to find an equilibrium or inner peace with nature without impositions.javi2541997

In the early twentieth century and right up to the 1940s, Shinto apparently did no better than Christianity or Islam in opposing supremacism, ultranationalism, divine dictatorship, and atrocity. It seems like it was part of the whole nasty enterprise.
  • javi2541997

It is true that Japanese nationalists have always been mixed with Shinto religion because they see it as a part of Japan's values and traditions.
    But I still think that Shinto is not a supremacist ritual as much as Christianity or Islam, due to the following arguments I have read a few days ago:

Shinto tends to focus on ritual behavior rather than doctrine. The philosophers James W. Boyd and Ron G. Williams stated that Shinto is "first and foremost a ritual tradition", while Picken observed that "Shinto is interested not in credenda but in agenda, not in things that should be believed but in things that should be done."
    The scholar of religion Clark B. Offner stated that Shinto's focus was on "maintaining communal, ceremonial traditions for the purpose of human (communal) well-being". It is often difficult to distinguish Shinto practices from Japanese customs more broadly, with Picken observing that the "worldview of Shinto" provided the "principal source of self-understanding within the Japanese way of life".
    Nelson stated that "Shinto-based orientations and values[…] lie at the core of Japanese culture, society, and character".
  • Jamal
    Okay, but I don’t quite see how it follows that it is less susceptible to supremacism than Christianity or Islam. Christianity at least has an anti-supremacist doctrine that can potentially be used to oppose the excesses of the powerful, whereas Shinto’s avoidance of doctrine allows it to go along with anything that respects ritual.
  • javi2541997

It is less susceptible to supremacism because Shinto is not based on hierarchical relationships neither sacred figures such as "God", "Muhammad", "Jesus", "Abraham", etc...
    They just promote their ritual behavior according to values of nature or culture, society and character of Japanese history/heritage or even Oriental thought. I see them as a community instead of a continuous sacrifice of the individual.
    I even think it is impossible to say that Christianity is "anti-supremacist" when they are ruled by a pope in Vatican city. This complex structure of power always leads to supremacism and corruption.
  • Agent Smith
    Shinto — javi2541997

The Japanese eat fish?! So much for ancestor worship! — Anaximander/Darwin
  • Tom Storm
    I even think it is impossible to say that Christianity is "anti-supremacist" when they are ruled by a pope in Vatican city. This complex structure of power always leads to supremacism and corruption.javi2541997

That's only the Catholics, which many Christians see as a kind of heresy anyway. Christianity also holds that there should be no hierarchy and that each community should understand Jesus teachings as they wish with no dogmatic authority.
  • javi2541997
    Christianity also holds that there should be no hierarchy and that each community should understand Jesus teachings as they wish with no dogmatic authority.Tom Storm

I wish they act this way... at least from the country I am come from they do literally the opposite. I always see it as a complex corrupt structure. I am agree with you that there are big differences between Christians and Catholics but they all end up promoting their power through dogma. For example: you can see it in religious schools. They teach the basic concepts of life through the image of Jesus and God.
  • Tom Storm
    I hear you. :pray: :smile:
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube