• val p miranda
    Consciousness is the awake state during which mentality, feelings and body activity can occur. As the brain-body ages and I or the ego develops, mentality, feelings and body activity belong to I or the ego.
  • Mww

The second straight out of the Enlightenment transcendental idealist playbook. The first he would deny.
  • Agent Smith
    Consciousness = Awake/Alive - Sleep/Death (Death is the only religion and sleep is her prophet! @180 Proof)

The I is a pure mental construct, a concept of convenience like, like, like,...
  • val p miranda
    I may be wrong, but that is the way I see it.
  • val p miranda
    Do you have a different view?
  • Varde
    Consciousness is awareness and alertness that's not the experiencer, nor the I.

I, or ego, is one's control over 'the ethereal within', or sin- strength in the matter of ownership of a vessel.

The experiencer is the mind based and body driven perpetual tool of sense and ability(seeing/sight, pushing, etc.).

The three are often conflated.
  • val p miranda
    I never conflate both; they both work together to make the individual viable.
  • val p miranda
    I equals the body-brain; it is a pronoun that stands for the body-brain which is conscious.
  • Agent Smith
    That's what most people would say. I wouldn't wanna stir up a hornet's nest, not now! Good day.
  • Agent Smith
    Thanks for your input. — miranda

:ok:

From an experiential (street-smarts knowledge) perspective the brain ages faster than the body, to the extent allowed, via books/movies/plays/etc. We can learn from the experiences of other people, fictional/real. Isn't that amazing?!
  • Mww
    As the brain-body ages and I or the ego develops, mentality, feelings and body activity belong to I or the ego.val p miranda

......straight out of the Enlightenment transcendental idealist playbook.....Mww

Do you have a different view?val p miranda

Nope. Pretty much my own personal philosophy as well.
  • val p miranda
    Indeeed, since the brain is part of the body .
  • Agent Smith
    Indeeed, since the brain is part of the body .val p miranda

In one way it is, in another way it isn't. We're animals but then we're not too.
  • val p miranda
    When we observe the most advanced of us, it's easy to develop that view; however, we must still perform animal activities, but our intellectual activities set us apart.
  • Agent Smith
    Yes val p miranda, yes! We are either open/closet misanthropes! No creature on Earth hates itself more than us! However, as your keen observation would've already informed you, it's all talk! Too bad, oui mon chéri?
  • universeness
    The one I like to 'mess with,' is 'alive' Vs 'consciousness.'
    The film 'awakenings' was a good exemplar.
    In a coma for X years. Alive but not conscious. No recording of events is possible but events still happen around you. Your bodily functions are maintained.
    I project this onto a case such as 'born in a coma and never coming out of it until you die.'
    So you did exist for X years, you were born etc but you recorded no experience at all from the moment of birth until you died. Your existence is only known/was only experienced by other humans.
    I think this is anecdotal evidence that the phenomena of conscious sentient life is the only phenomena that gives any significance to the Universes own existence.
  • val p miranda
    What good is the whole universe without consciousness?
  • val p miranda
    Yes, we are the best and worst of creatures.
  • Agent Smith
    Yes, we are the best and worst of creatures.val p miranda

I had such high hopes! :sad:
  • val p miranda
    There are centuries of evolution ahead. What will we be then?
  • universeness
    What good is the whole universe without consciousness?val p miranda

A very good question! It might be no more than human delusions of grandeur to suggest that the universe is dependent on lifeforms such as us to assign it any significance but then this can also be misunderstood as such a statement frames humans as in some way separable from the universe when in fact we are not separable we are inseparable from the universe. So perhaps we can posit ourselves, in our COLLECTIVE conscience as the best qualified to represent the universe trying to figure out what, why and how it IS.
  • Agent Smith
    There are centuries of evolution ahead. What will we be then?val p miranda

Fortunetelling, not my department, sorry!

Perhaps this'll give you an idea :point:

Muchas gracias señor for the clarification! Clear and to the point. By the way is innocence deserving of anything but pain/anguish/suffering? The naïve aka the innocent are easy prey, to be dispatched at the earliest, as brutally as possible! :snicker:Agent Smith
  • val p miranda
    We may be the universe's only consciousness, but there may be numerous other beings in a vast universe.
  • universeness
    We may be the universe's only consciousness, but there may be numerous other beings in a vast universe.val p miranda

Yeah, but they will have the same questions to answer as we do.
    Is conscious, intelligent, sentient life such as us, the best the universe can produce to discover what, why and how it is? Is scientific research the main valid tool and are other human musings such as philosophy, theism, dreaming, raw human emotion only useful as motivations for asking or refusing to ask certain questions? Is science the only pursuit that can be trusted to provide real truths/facts?
  • universeness
    Science and philosophyval p miranda

Two very useful tools for all seekers of truth imo.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.