• gikehef947
    UK approves extradition of Julian Assange.
    How is Russia!
    Murders and rapists walk away with a few months, and someone exposing shitty government secrets that endangers the population are threated like Hitler.
    It’s ironic that the "free" world and the "open" society are going to torture Julian Assange in part for exposing documents about torturing people.
    The UK government just officially sanctioned somebody to literal fucking torture. Don't let this hypocrisy be forgotten whenever the UK government claims to care about human rights. Christ.
    In Devil we trust.
    Discuss, ladies and gentlemen.
  • Jackson
    How is Russia!
    Murders and rapists walk away with a few months, and someone exposing shitty government secrets that endangers the population are threated like Hitler.
    It’s ironic that the "free" world and the "open" society are going to torture Julian Assange in part for exposing documents about torturing people.
    The UK government just officially sanctioned somebody to literal fucking torture. Don't let this hypocrisy be forgotten whenever the UK government claims to care about human rights. Christ.
    In Devil we trust.
    Discuss, ladies and gentlemen.
    gikehef947

Hard to care about the guy. He wanted to help Trump get elected.
  • unenlightened
    I don't much like the guy either. But It's really bad news for any kind of freedom of speech reporting of truth and exposure of high crimes and misdemeanours, and rank hypocrisy on the part of US and UK governments. And there is nothing much to discuss on that front.
  • Jackson
    I don't much like the guy either. But It's really bad news for any kind of freedom of speech reporting of truth and exposure of high crimes and misdemeanours, and rank hypocrisy on the part of US and UK governments. And there is nothing much to discuss on that front.unenlightened

Assange was helping the Russian government and Trump exchange information from stolen emails from Hillary Clinton and the DNC. No sympathy for the guy.
  • unenlightened
    Yeah, you said. But it's not stealing Hilary's emails he's going to be charged with, but exposing war crimes of The US.
  • Jackson
    Yeah, you said. But it's not stealing Hilary's emails he's going to be charged with, but exposing war crimes of The US.unenlightened

I really do not care anymore.
  • Tate
    They probably want to ask him how he got the Clinton data.
  • creativesoul
    Assange also helped to cause quite a bit of unnecessary grief to an already grieving family by perpetuating the false idea that a murder victim was tied to those emails and Wikileaks. When openly asked, he could have and should have stamped out that notion rather than being cagey and perpetuating a conspiracy theory that right wing American media fomented for months and months. Fox News ended up settling with the parents for an untold amount in the seven-figure range.
  • Streetlight
    Assange embarrassed the US by exposing their being a bunch of fucking war criminal fucks, so naturally, the US and their war criminal lapdogs need to throw him in jail forever.

Anyone who think the Assange story is about Clinton, or Fox, or whatever other irrelevant bullshit, and not the fact that the US is a bunch of civilian-murdering thugs, is just another propagandized moron repeating the lines fed to them by the US war machine.
  • Banno
    Just to keep on topic, here is the video that the US says should not have been released, and is the source of the charges:

It has nothing to do with Clinton. Try not to be distracted.
  • Tate
    You guys never seem to know when to believe the US government and when not to. They don't care about war crimes.
  • Banno
    But I do. The US used to be better than this stuff.
  • Banno
    What is of the most interest here will be Albanese's response.
  • Tate
    But I do. The US used to be better than this stuffBanno

When?
  • Streetlight
    Lol, "believing the US government". Yeah sorry I don't believe genocidal blood-soaked pieces of shit.
  • Tate
    Lol, "believing the US government". Yeah sorry I don't believe genocidal empires.Streetlight

They don't care what you believe.
  • Streetlight
    That much we can agree on.
  • Streetlight
    That said, the US very clearly cares about war crimes because otherwise they wouldn't throw every resource they have at trying to torture the dude who exposed the US for having committed them over and over again.

Albanese's response.Banno

Labour have never not been anything but committed lapdogs of US power. If Albanese does anything, it would be an enormous surprise.
  • Tate
    They know how he got that data. I don't think they have the CIA leak or the Clinton source.
  • Tate
    Your point?Streetlight

They want information.
  • Streetlight
    A side benefit of being able to get revenge upon the dude who exposed the US to be a bunch of murderous fucks. Oh and to ensure that no one ever can do that again.
  • Tate
    side benefit of being able to get revenge upon the dude who exposed the US to be a bunch of murderous fucks.Streetlight

It only helps the US for people to believe that. There's no downside.
  • Banno
    When?Tate

:wink: Fair call.

No, there is a "golden thread" (Rumpole of the Bailey...) in US political thinking that is worthy of note, but which shows itself now only sporadically. It consists in a capacity for self-correction.

This whole business works against it.
  • Tate
    I'm not sure what that means. This is the sort of thing they want to discuss with him.
  • Banno
    I'm not sure what that means.Tate

Self-correction only occurs when one knows one has done badly. Collateral murder shows the US doing badly, but instead of taking it on board and seeking to improve it has resorted to belligerent denial.
  • 180 Proof
    Assange? Fuck him and Snowden too.
  • Tate
    Collateral murder shows the US doing badly, but instead of taking it on board and seeking to improve it has resorted to belligerent denial.Banno

That's not true. The authenticity of the data was confirmed by the US military and a public discussion about the legality of the action took place.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.

More Discussions