• Varde
    Knowing, believing- wisdom, sense, want- is all experience the nervous system and neuro-transmission?

Do we attribute value elsewhere, for some magnitude of pleasure is present?

Knowing for example is just some feeling of the nervous system and mental pattern generated by neuro-transmitters. However, we attribute value elsewhere. For knowledge, understood data(it's definition), etc.

Perhaps this is because of pleasure, it's pleasurable to be a part of experience. It seems realistic (though it could be a trick of the mind; such as a illusion in a 2D image) and I take pleasure from it's reality- is pleasure is key to mind?

However, is pleasure targetable? Is the tree we sense, a tree, or part of total experience(oneness, experience as one thing)? If it is reduced to nervous system and neuro-transmission, can anything experienced be completely real? Does believing require imagination?
  • Wayfarer
    Knowing for example is just some feeling of the nervous system and mental pattern generated by neuro-transmitters….Varde

…if you’re a lizard…..
  • Varde
    you don't agree. Why if we're lizards? I'm a little confused at what I wrote anyway...
  • Cuthbert
    I'm a little confused at what I wrote anyway...Varde

Not too much. When we experience something, specific events happen in our bodies and brains. I think you are asking: Is our experience identical with those events?

Then you are wondering: If the answer to the first question is 'yes', then can we experience anything other than events happening in our bodies and brains?

I happen to think that the answer to the first is 'no' and to the second is 'question doesn't make sense'. But there are arguments on both sides.
  • Varde
    I think you are asking: Is our experience identical with those events? — Cuthbert

Definitely what I'm asking.

You provided the answer 'no', which I also believe.

I suggested that what our experience is, is a seismic pleasurable "magnitude"(for no use of a better term)- but heck do I know I've only stumbled on the idea earlier.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.