• T Clark
    They are not internally blocking or hindering their own thought. They are reacting in a socially appropriate way to a situation that that might lead to conflict and trying to decide the best way to handle it. They have been asked a question that is polarizing and divisive and they don't know who their audience is or how their answer might be used for or against them. Their views on "what is a woman" might be very well formed and thought out, but they refrain from responding simply because they don't care to have that debate or advertise their position.Hanover

Oh, good. Now I don't have to respond. Thanks.
  • praxis
    It's a symptom of totalitarianism.

I would highly suggest watching some interviews with Mattias Desmet, a Belgian psychology professor, who explores this same phenomenon (closely related to the concept of mass formation) in the context of the covid-19 epidemic.

Here's a link (changed it because I think this one is more interesting):
    Tzeentch

I watched 20 minutes of the video and what struck me is that ‘mass formation’ was occurring in the pandemic with antivaxers and the like, people who literally died from groupthink. If we can’t escape ideology at least we can try to go along with the least stupid ideology.
  • Tzeentch
    I don't think it was the antivax side who displayed a stunning intolerance for conflicting views. I think you should rewatch it, and this time the whole thing. It could very well be about you.
  • praxis
    I don't think it was the antivax side who displayed a stunning intolerance for conflicting views.Tzeentch

Bear in mind that antivaxers died for their views, in many cases. That’s commitment, or perhaps paranoia. I recall Desmet mentioning paranoia, don’t you?
  • Jackson
    What do you think?M777

Sounds FOX fake news.
  • M777
    Bear in mind that antivaxers died for their views, in many cases. That’s commitment, or perhaps paranoia. I recall Desmet mentioning paranoia, don’t you?praxis

I'd say it depends on the severity of the case. For example, "aaa! Bill Gates will chip us all via vaxing and control us through 5G!!!! AAA!!!" of course is crazy. While looking at the data and seeing that vaxed and unvaxed people were getting Omicron at pretty much the same rate and being not at risk for any complications choosing to not to vaccinate, might be a reasonable decision.
  • M777
    I think liberals have a caricature of people one the right in their heads, like "fox watching, bible thumping, guns touting rednecks". :) Of course, we, in return, see libs as "prius driving, bed wetting" :)
  • Jackson
    I think liberals have a caricature of people one the right in their heads, like "fox watching, bible thumping, guns touting rednecks". :) Of course, we, in return, see libs as "prius driving, bed wettingM777

Good. bye bye
  • praxis
    While looking at the data and seeing that vaxed and unvaxed people were getting Omicron at pretty much the same rate and being not at risk for any complications choosing to not to vaccinate, might be a reasonable decision.M777

Are you saying this as a hypothetical or do you actually believe that the vaccines don't work?
  • Streetlight
    Should probably note that it's no surprise that this question - which is not even the OPs question but just another bit of culture-war trash picked up from elsewhere - asks 'what is a woman?' rather than 'what is a man?' - because this kind of stuff is always just paper-thin misogyny pretending to be just-asking-questions - AKA JAQing off. It's women and their gender who must be policed and shunted into whatever little boxes these people have in mind. Largely because they only want to fuck and fantasize about the Right Kind of Women, so men can be whatever (so long as they keep it to themselves!). These people are afraid - terrified - that their fantasies and hard-ons will be misdirected. And that would be ggaaaaayyyy which is icky.
  • M777
    As for Omicron, in my country vaccinated and unvaccinated people got sick at the same rate. So no, it did not prevent you from catching or spreading it. Yet there seemed to be a benefit for people in the risk group to have a milder illness and not die of it.
    So my policy suggestion would be to inform risk people and provide them with a vaccine if they decide to, yet nothing mandatory, no lockdowns, etc.
  • M777
    Thank you for a great insight into a mind of a feminist.
    Seems like a rather dark place to be in. :(
  • Streetlight
    Dark? I'm having a blast making fun of losers whose index of social decay is no one answering questions when confronted on the street.
  • Tzeentch
    Should probably note that it's no surprise that this question - which is not even the OPs question but just another bit of culture-war trash picked up from elsewhere - asks 'what is a woman?' rather than 'what is a man?' - because this kind of stuff is always just paper-thin misogyny pretending to be just-asking-questions - AKA JAQing off. It's women and their gender who must be policed and shunted into whatever little boxes these people have in mind. Largely because they only want to fuck and fantasize about the Right Kind of Women, so men can be whatever (so long as they keep it to themselves!). These people are afraid - terrified - that their fantasies and hard-ons will be misdirected. And that would be ggaaaaayyyy which is icky.Streetlight

You got all of that from a single question asked by a hypothetical stranger?

A genius psychologist or...
  • M777
    You got all of that from a single question asked by a hypothetical stranger?Tzeentch

He is pretty much projecting his dark inner world, yet completely unwilling to understand it. sad story. ;)
  • Streetlight
    The question is a meme, a culture-war piece of fluff. That it's invariably asked by insecure men is a matter of universal logical law, not psychology.
  • praxis

:lol: Hilarious. Can't answer a simple question of whether or not you believe the vaccines work.
  • M777
    They work wonders in general, like eradicating smallpox, polio, etc.
    yet if you are talking about a particular covid vaccine which was developed against delta, its effect against omicron seems rather limited.
  • praxis

"Rather limited" is a bit vague. Could you be more specific and/or say how you've arrived at this conclusion?

Don't let your internal thought police stop you from being specific.
  • M777
    I think I already explained it above. In my country we had about 60% vaccination rate and every day I would read the news that about 10k people tested positive, 6k of them were vaccinated and 4k unvaccinated. So pretty much no effect here.
    Yet about 10 died, roughly 8 of whom were unvaccinated, 2 vaccinated. So some effect here.

Also me and all my family had Omicron and all of us, ranging from radical vaxxers to radical antivaxxers, had it exactly the same way - like a very mild cold that lasted for about 20 days.
  • praxis
    10 died, roughly 8 of whom were unvaccinated, 2 vaccinated. So some effect here.M777

Roughly an 80% death rate for the unvaccinated compared to 20% for the vaccinated. Hmm, that isn't rather limited in effectiveness.

radical vaxxersM777

I'm afraid to ask what that is.
  • Hanover
    I think I already explained it above. In my country we had about 60% vaccination rate and every day I would read the news that about 10k people tested positive, 6k of them were vaccinated and 4k unvaccinated. So pretty much no effect here.
    Yet about 10 died, roughly 8 of whom were unvaccinated, 2 vaccinated. So some effect here.
    M777

The data is inconsistent with your recollections:

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/united-states-rates-of-covid-19-deaths-by-vaccination-status?country=~All+ages
  • M777
    Yes, so it seems to help against dying if you are in the risk-group, but does little if you are relatively healthy to begin with.
    Radical vaxxer is someone who makes new booster shots once such are available.
  • praxis
    Yes, so it seems to help against dying if you are in the risk-group, but does relatively little if you are relatively healthy to begin with.M777

Is your inner thought police making you understate the facts? Internal blockages of this nature are not healthy.
  • Tzeentch
    Vaccination is another one of those great examples where people seem to show radical intolerance for dissent - mass formation at work.
  • M777
    Is your inner thought police making you understate the facts? Internal blockages of this nature are not healthy.praxis

Could you be more specific here?
  • M777
    Vaccination is another one of those great examples where people seem to show radical intolerance for dissent - mass formation at work.Tzeentch

Wait til we get to climate change. :rofl:
  • praxis
    Vaccination is another one of those great examples where people seem to show radical intolerance for dissent - mass formation at work.Tzeentch

How is this radical intolerance expressed? I haven't heard of any vax riots. I've heard of anti-vax protests.
  • Tzeentch
    It is expressed through rather extreme reactions to views that deviate even slightly from the narrative. Instead of normal discussion, an immediate escalation to personal attacks, accusations, strawmans, and projection.

You should've seen the reactions I got when on this forum I dared to imply that human beings have a right to bodily autonomy, and therefore should be allowed to choose whether to be vaccinated or not.

In a nutshell, an inability to accept anything other than their exact version of the truth.
  • Jackson
    human beings have a right to bodily autonomy, and therefore should be allowed to choose whether to be vaccinated or not.Tzeentch

Just as long as you never have contact with other humans.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.