• M777
    After watching how people in the street would immediately tense up, after being asked a simple question of 'what is a woman?' and tried to give a 'politically correct' answer, you are getting a feeling that they very well know the answer, yet are scared sh*tless of saying it or, probably, even thinking it.

In my opinion such internal blocking of engaging with certain thoughts is a very bad idea, as it noticeably hinders one's ability to think clearly.

What do you think?
  • Tzeentch
    It's a symptom of totalitarianism.

I would highly suggest watching some interviews with Mattias Desmet, a Belgian psychology professor, who explores this same phenomenon (closely related to the concept of mass formation) in the context of the covid-19 epidemic.

Here's a link (changed it because I think this one is more interesting):
  • Streetlight
    I have no time for snowflakes like the OP who get triggered because of the way some people speak.
  • Cuthbert
    Before concluding that it's self-censorship I say we need a comparison. For example, if you go up to someone in the street and ask "What is a toothbrush?" you will probably see them tense up and look shifty. This is probably not because they are censoring their thoughts. It's more likely because some stranger has just accosted them with an unclear and possibly provocative intent and they are not sure how to react.

Socrates had a similar experience when he went round asking people 'What is good?'

Well, although I do not suppose that either of us knows anything really beautiful and good, I am better off than he is - for he knows nothing, and thinks that he knows. I neither know nor think that I know. In this latter particular, then, I seem to have slightly the advantage of him. Then I went to another, who had still higher philosophical pretensions, and my conclusion was exactly the same. I made another enemy of him, and of many others besides him. After this I went to one man after another, being not unconscious of the enmity which I provoked,.... — Plato, Apology
    http://classics.mit.edu/Plato/apology.html
  • M777
    Before concluding that it's self-censorship I say we need a comparison. For example, if you go up to someone in the street and ask "What is a toothbrush?" you will probably see them tense up and look shifty. This is probably not because they are censoring their thoughts. It's more likely because some stranger has just accosted them with an unclear and possibly provocative intent and they are not sure how to react.Cuthbert

But than they would answer with "it's that thing that you brush your teeth with", instead of "eee... it can be whatever you want to be, who am I to judge?"
  • M777
    Thank you, I'll look into this. :up:
  • Fine Doubter
    It mustn't be forgotten meanwhile, that you probably wouldn't answer anyone in the street at all, who asked you any question at all - or you shouldn't. What (objectively) is anyone up to? I would just say, "sorry, i don't give interviews".

People knew who Socrates was, AND they posed as people with "the" answers, that's why his situation is so different.

Another thing: one can say a woman is a fine mind (whic h doesn't conflict that I knew boys and men who were that as well).
  • M777
    Why? I like interacting with people, even if I completely disagree with.
  • M777
    Another thing: one can say a woman is a fine mindFine Doubter

If a female is dumb as a door-nail isn't she still a woman?
  • Fine Doubter
    That's good if you do. But your taste and sense of confidence doesn't conflict with some others' at any moment, hence you were probably reading too much into some of the reactions. (While you were replying I added my afterthought in "edit" mode.)

I'm suggesting my own fallback for when my imagination hasn't caught up / I'm in a hurry, and that it might be of use to some others sometimes too. I certainly wouldn't know who would want to interview me or for what purpose.

Thank you Tzeentch for the video link. Marshall McLuhan dealt with these things as well. As long as one doesn't think the things on your screen are figments of your own mind or vice versa, you can stop the intensity taking away your personality. Bad religion seizing the media and posing as "resurgence" has devastated the world.

Re. anaesthesia I was gassed to have too many teeth taken out (I did need a few out). After that what was meant to be our private light hearted tittle tattle about "sex" was supplanted by creeps in authority (and that wasn't the "sex lesson"), just when Savile was on our parents' screens.
  • Fine Doubter

If an M777 isn't witty, has he still got his wits about him? I didn't watch the experiment but what's to preclude wit? Why would you so heavily imply respondents are "wrong to walk on eggshells" when you are doing so yourself?
  • M777
    Am I walking on eggshells? Never thought about myself that I am.
  • Fine Doubter
    It's more likely because some stranger has just accosted them with an unclear and possibly provocative intent and they are not sure how to react.Cuthbert

M777, this is exactly the point I started by making. In protesting how different you are, you would surely allow for them to be their authentic selves and react honestly to their own insight? Have you internalised some dishonesty of your own from around you?
  • M777
    My principal would be to tell the truth and generally trust people. So suspecting a street interview for a malignant intent would not be my immediate reaction.
  • Hanover
    In my opinion such internal blocking of engaging with certain thoughts is a very bad idea, as it noticeably hinders one's ability to think clearly.M777

They are not internally blocking or hindering their own thought. They are reacting in a socially appropriate way to a situation that that might lead to conflict and trying to decide the best way to handle it. They have been asked a question that is polarizing and divisive and they don't know who their audience is or how their answer might be used for or against them. Their views on "what is a woman" might be very well formed and thought out, but they refrain from responding simply because they don't care to have that debate or advertise their position.
  • M777
    I'd say that is a rather cowardly approach - being afraid to speak your position just because some petty bully might not like it.
  • Hanover
    I'd say that is a rather cowardly approach - being afraid to speak your position just because some petty bully might not like it.M777

My comment was that refraining from discussing one's position isn't equivalent to internally suppressing one's position. Whether that behavior is cowardly or prudent has no bearing on my comment.
  • Fine Doubter

Not so fast. We've established that you are the street interviewer, himself. Now you try to claim that you are "petty"?
  • M777
    My comment was that refraining from discussing one's position isn't equivalent to internally suppressing one's position. Whether that behavior is cowardly or prudent has no bearing on my comment.Hanover

In this example the person being interviewed, instead of refusing to answer, was siding with the bullies, while presumably knowing that their position is delusional.
  • M777
    Not sure if what you said makes any sense, try rephrasing.
  • Fine Doubter
    In this example the person being interviewed, instead of refusing to answer, was siding with the bullies, while presumably knowing that their position is delusional.M777

Is there an intent in this piece of yours? Can you explain it? Would you want to explain it?
  • DingoJones

:lol:
    You took the time to write that comment. Lol
    You never cease to amuse me you self important douche bag.
    :lol: :lol:
  • M777
    Is there an intent in this piece of yours? Can you explain it? Would you want to explain it?Fine Doubter

I'd say I am amazed by how easily seemingly grown up people would bend over backwards to cater to some hypothetical bullies.
  • unenlightened
    Well, since you ask so politely, a woman is an organic penis sheath. As every schoolboy imagines.
  • Streetlight
    IIT: people getting mad that when they (hypothetically?) walk up to other people on the street and demand answers to random questions, those other people do not behave in the appropriate manner. And it is these people, of course, that are the problem. looool.

Stephen King couldn't write a more fragile ego if he tried.

"People can't immediately answer my inane question without giving it any thought society is crumbling reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee"
  • M777
    I think you just missed a very good opportunity to keep your opinion to yourself. )
  • Hanover
    I'd say I am amazed by how easily seemingly grown up people would bend over backwards to cater to some hypothetical bullies.M777

They're not bullies. They're just annoying, so they go ignored. If you stick a microphone in my face and ask me my views of abortion, I doubt I'd respond. If you made a comment trying to provoke a response, I'd probably give a "sure, whatever you say" sort of response. It's not a sign of courage to stand up to every petty battle.
  • NOS4A2
    It’s amazing how a simple question can strike such reticence and confusion. They likely understand that an answer that runs afoul of certain ideologies could end in forms of ostracism or even assault. It’s the captive mind.
  • Streetlight
    It’s amazing how a simple question can strike such reticence and confusion. They likely understand that an answer that runs afoul of certain ideologies could end in forms of ostracism or even assault. It’s the captive mind.NOS4A2

"People (hypothetically) can't immediately answer my inane question without giving it any thought society is crumbling reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee"Streetlight

Like clockwork.

When did conservatives become these giant, wet, crybabies? I blame The Algorithm.
  • M777
    That's your approach. I usually find power in speaking truth, so it's hard for me to imagine a scenario where I would avoid a response. )
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment